Your Favorite Sheaffer Inlaid Nib Model?

Manalto

Sheaffer has produced a number of pens over the years with inlaid nibs, which I find aesthetically pleasing, but I'm having trouble making a decision on which model to get. I recently bought a Sheaffer Legacy Heritage with a medium nib. It was a handsome pen, but I expected more for $300. The edges of the cap were sharp and the filling mechanism unimpressive. I ultimately had to return it because the line was far too broad.

All aspects considered, which Sheaffer pen with an inlaid nib is your favorite, and why?

James

James

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Manalto

• jar

• sexauerw

• ink-syringe

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll file that under "Just Because." It's funny that you should mention the Targa because I was already strongly leaning in that direction. I really like its clean styling, but haven't had a chance to see how it writes. Thanks!

Edited by Manalto

James

Targa, baby. It`s solid, with perfect balance, size and weight, has a lot of variations and can be found for cheap.

Plus, my Targa has the smoothest M nib i have ever tried period. Actually, it`s too smooth, i can barely feel the paper as the nib glides over it.

The only negative aspect is the fact that it`s not easy to remove the nib and feed to properly clean them :(

Edited by rochester21

Hi,

I think that with their inlaid nib Sheaffer scored a major coup - it delivers a very good writing experience regardless of material or specific model: my 330 nib is every bit as smooth and comfortable as a Targa, an Imperial, or PFM I.

One thing about the inlaid nibs is that I find it tricky to tease the tines, so it is well worth it to purchase from a Vendor who is competent in doing so.

As a personal favourite, the Imperial TD with its gold nib, and engine turned Sterling cap and barrel jangles my bangles - used just that bit more often than my Targa with a gold nib and Sterling cap & barrel. (A bit odd that the PFM sees less use than expected.)

For an all-rounder, I'd pick the 444: steel cap & barrel for heft and durability, comfy and well-balanced posted or not, quite pocket-able dimensions. I like the girth and rate of taper on the section. Pity that it wasn't issued in Sterling silver. IMHO the 330 with its plastic cap and barrel remains one of the best value pens for short money.

Oh, as to the clean-up concerns mentioned by Member rochester1: After flushing from the ink reservoir end of the section, I gently slip a length of soft surgical tubing over the nib to form a seal on the section, then gently add water to the tubing [back flush] - more of a 'rolling soak' than 1400kPa blast. That gets all the ink that's between the nib and feed, shortens clean-up times, minimises the temptation to use chemicals stronger than water, etc.

Wheee!

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Shaeffer Legacy Heritage. I have one with a broad nib which is actually too broad for daily use, IMO.

I find this to be the same for my Valor broad. I will probably get medium nib-sized versions of both.

Perf,

As I mentioned in my original post, I found my "medium" Legacy Heritage too broad; I'm not particularly fussy about line weight, but I was surprised that it produced such a W I D E line that it closed up on narrow loops, unless I wrote quite large.

James

If you enjoyed the styling and dimensions of the Legacy Heritage why not try the original; the PFM. Also, the earlier Legacy I and II were touchdown fillers. The PFM is a Snorkel filler.

I love my PFM V. The Medium nib is smooth and probably finer than the blobby nibs of today.

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

You're absolutely right. I love the PFM, but I'm too much of a novice to know how to choose one wisely. I'm thinking (mistakenly, perhaps) that a newer pen is less likely to present me with repair problems I can't resolve. If I knew a PFM seller I could trust, I'd be writing out my check right now.

James

I have a Targa & Legacy II and as both have the same stub nibs I would probably been content with the Targa had I bought it first. But I liked the looks of the Legacy best so it was purchased first. I didn't really give the Targa any consideration until after I had experienced the nib on the Legacy & found a sterling Targa @ a "good price" with the same nib I bought it. Love both their nibs & have found the Targa equally pleasant to use. The thinner body I had thought would bother me in comparison to the Legacy but as it is the "full sized" Targa it is perfectly adequate. ( I would be afraid of the slim Targas I suspect they would resemble the Dupont Classique in girth.)

Yes, I'm trying to steer clear of the slim Targas, although I suspect sellers often don't know the difference. I'm pretty flexible about pen girth, but have learned the hard way that I don't care for the obese or anorexic.

James

My first high-quality pen was a black Targa, fine nib, that I bought around 1981.

I've still got it, and it writes as well now as it did back then. The only thing I've had to do with it during that period was replacing the converter about a year ago. It's my favorite Sheaffer inlaid nib pen.

I have eight, all Imperials, four gold, four steel. One steel is a terrible writer and one gold extra fine digs too easily. Got them all NOS from Peyton.

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

+ 1 for the Targa. My favorite Sheaffer FP. And you have so many finishes, colors and prices to choose from.

Dan

I don't have a lot of them, all are Imperials or Imperial family, this one is probably the favorite of the ones I own.

DSC00453.JPG

It was already a nice pen but the Binder CI is just plain insane. Very nice line variation and just as smooth as silk. Richard

also set the flow to just where I like it. Wet. (About a 6.5)

There are a couple Sterling Imperials that I like too. (Not the Ciselle so much)

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

I don't have a lot of them, all are Imperials or Imperial family, this one is probably the favorite of the ones I own.

DSC00453.JPG

It was already a nice pen but the Binder CI is just plain insane. Very nice line variation and just as smooth as silk. Richard

also set the flow to just where I like it. Wet. (About a 6.5)

There are a couple Sterling Imperials that I like too. (Not the Ciselle so much)

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Swoon!

James