Ebay Feedback

AJ50

I just hate it when I give good feedback on an eBay seller following a purchase and yet the seller cannot be bothered to give feedback on me as a buyer.

I almost wish I could go back and leave additional feedback on the ignorance of the seller not bothering to reciprocate and leave good feedback. Maybe there should be the option on eBay to remove feedback after a period of time if both parties do not leave feedback!

I suppose the simple answer is not to leave any feedback for sellers, but that would result in punishing ALL sellers and that would not be fair.

Ignorant sellers REALLY bug me, what do others think?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountainpenlady

• ian1964

• AJ50

• bbycrts

It annoys me too, but such is life. I tend to send the seller a message to say the item arrived safely, I am happy, have left good feedback and reciprocation would be appreciated. Hopefully that provides sufficient reminder/motivation.

Absolutely correct. I think it is the height of rudeness. Only this week I have decided that the seller must respond first. After all it is all more important to the seller than buyer.

Too simplistic.

I am both regular buyer and regular seller, so have a view from both ends.

The buyer should leave feedback as it lets the seller know the item has been received okay and the buyer is happy with the item (and any good seller would want to know that).. It is polite for the seller to then leave feedback, but this actually achieve very little; there is no negative option, no ratings of various parts, and it has no financial repercussions on the buyer.

Many millions have been made printing reviews of the service standards of sellers (AA, Egon Rooney, Trip Advisor etc) no one has ever bothered to write about the customer who pays and says thank you.

I do always leave feedback,even if I would like occasionally to say "this buyer is an absolute crook who swapped over the Parker 51 cap before returning the pen"... these get the basic acknowledgement.

Other sellers use an automated message and standard reply, which to my mind is worse than nothing at all.

AJ50, I think you are wrong in saying you will no longer give feedback first, ebay works best when there is friendly dialogue and honesty ....but it is your choice.

AJ50, I think you are wrong in saying you will no longer give feedback first, ebay works best when there is friendly dialogue and honesty ....but it is your choice.

I think you have misread my posting as I didn't say that I would no longer give feedback first. What I said was: I suppose the simple answer is not to leave any feedback for sellers, but that would result in punishing ALL sellers and that would not be fair.

In reality, the seller should probably respond first because he/she is either satisfied with the way the purchase was paid for without any hassle or he/she isn't. The buyer should respond second because he has made payment and now needs to give feedback as to how the seller behaved i.e. quick despatch, good packaging and accurate description etc

As I am not into score keeping, I leave feedback for those auctions I have completed, whether as buyer or seller, and I am glad to see those feedbacks I have received, but I tend not to correlate what I receive with my actual eBay activity. Keeps me saner.

I once wrote a short story in the feedback panels I needed to respond to.

I can only guess what the readers thought.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

As a buyer I leave feedback 100% of the time but that is never reciprocated when I am the seller my average is about 30%. As a new seller of FPs I need to build up customer feedback so buyers are confident in my pens. At this rate it is going to take a long time. After reading above that some buyers feel seller feedback should be given first I added feedback to 2 buyers but I am still waiting for their comments. I am not alone in feeling rather disgruntled about lack of feedback. I even tried messaging 1 seller to ask if he was happy with his purchase. I eventually received an e mail to say he was unhappy with the pen as it was not mint. I had described it as having slightly shrunk section. He gave me positive feedback (very positive) before I had agreed to do anything. After 6 months from purchasing pen he returned it and I sent him another in perfect condition with no extra charge even postage. I just wanted a happy customer.

I thought the seller feedback should come first, based on speed and accuracy of payment and any other requirements, to be followed by the buyer's feedback posted when the item arrives.

Some sellers seem to wait to see what the buyer says before giving their feedback, a minority take ages and have to be reminded.
Personally, I give my feedback promptly because that's only polite... 'do unto others', so to speak.

Glenn.

It's always been a difficult one, and was made even more difficult when only buyers could leave non-positive feedback. As a seller, I prefer to leave my buyers feedback when I know they have received the items. As a buyer I leave feedback as soon as I receive the item safely. I think it's only polite.

I have noticed that more US sellers leave feedback straight away when compared with British or European sellers who tend to wait until feedback has been received

apologies, it was the later post that said the seller must leave feedback first.

You obviously meant me! Its common courtesy really, as the buyer I always immediately pay and so have completed my end of the arrangement in it's entirety. It is for the seller to acknowledge my speedy payment and not for me to be grateful that he/she actually fulfills their side of the bargain. Nothing "simplistic", just good manners. I stand by my statement.

I thought the seller feedback should come first, based on speed and accuracy of payment and any other requirements, to be followed by the buyer's feedback posted when the item arrives.

Some sellers seem to wait to see what the buyer says before giving their feedback, a minority take ages and have to be reminded.

Personally, I give my feedback promptly because that's only polite... 'do unto others', so to speak.

Glenn.

I agree. As a buyer, once you've paid, you've completed your side of the transaction. That's the only knowledge the seller has to go on, thus feedback should be provided once payment is complete. These buyers who hold their feedback hostage until they receive theirs are just silly.

I've got a blog!

Fountain Pen Love

As a buyer, I make it a practice to leave feedback as soon as I have received the item and am satisfied. If not satisfied, I always give the seller a chance to remedy the situation before leaving feedback. As a seller, I leave feedback upon receiving positive feedback or 2 weeks after delivery, whichever comes first. Regardless, I always leave feedback. It's just common courtesy and I do get annoyed when others do not reciprocate but there is nothing that you can do about it but put it out of your mind and move on.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

I just hate it when I give good feedback on an eBay seller following a purchase and yet the seller cannot be bothered to give feedback on me as a buyer.

I almost wish I could go back and leave additional feedback on the ignorance of the seller not bothering to reciprocate and leave good feedback. Maybe there should be the option on eBay to remove feedback after a period of time if both parties do not leave feedback!

I suppose the simple answer is not to leave any feedback for sellers, but that would result in punishing ALL sellers and that would not be fair.

Ignorant sellers REALLY bug me, what do others think?

I am also a routine Ebay buyer, I have also been a seller. As a buyer, I do often give feedback after receiving an item.

Sometimes, sellers are bulk sellers. Have you ever had the experience of getting something not described, before leaving feedback and send the seller a message to complain? Some of the sellers will simply block you from ever buying from them again, no communication at all. I guess what I am saying most humbly, and respectfully, don't sweat the small stuff. If at all possible. I am glad when I receive something as described. I am glad when I receive it in a timely manner; extra bonus, the seller provides something extra, a handwritten note.

The reciprocity of receiving feedback would be nice, but not necessary. Now, I will say that a buyer leaving feedback is something I try to find when I see someone else has also purchased the item. I depend on what the buyer says in terms of their experience. How did they like the item received etc. Was it what they expected,as advertised.

Feedback left for the Seller is for those who will subsequently buy the item. The seller would probably appreciate, if new, or sometimes long term, but let's face it some don't care. Some would rather keep their products, items moving.

Edited by fountainpenlady

Ea Alis Volat Propiis, per/Repletus Fontis Calamus!
She Flies by Her Own Wings, with filled Fountain Pen

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

You obviously meant me! Its common courtesy really, as the buyer I always immediately pay and so have completed my end of the arrangement in it's entirety. It is for the seller to acknowledge my speedy payment and not for me to be grateful that he/she actually fulfills their side of the bargain. Nothing "simplistic", just good manners. I stand by my statement.

Okay, I will bite.

As a seller there are two duties I want / need a buyer to perform, to pay for the item and to leave me positive feedback (the importance of which Effin outlines very well). As a seller I will acknowledge the buyer who fulfils both parts with thanks, but can not do anything about those who are shoddy in their payment or forgetful in their feedback.

As a buyer I want the item as described, delivered safely and promptly. I have the power to address any shortcomings, and the ability to thank those who provide a good service. I care not if I receive feedback as a buyer, it can only be positive.... and all too often it is simply an advert for the seller (look at the feedback Firebreakline leaves) .

Whether a buyer or seller I will leave feedback, unless I am dissatisfied with the item I have received and feel the value does not justify the aggro or expense of a return. If I have not first raised my dissatisfaction with the seller I will not leave negative or neutral feedback.

So I agree with you it is all about good manners, but continue to believe it is too simplistic to just say "I have made my payment, give me feedback"

Okay, I will bite.

As a seller there are two duties I want / need a buyer to perform, to pay for the item and to leave me positive feedback (the importance of which Effin outlines very well). As a seller I will acknowledge the buyer who fulfils both parts with thanks, but can not do anything about those who are shoddy in their payment or forgetful in their feedback.

As a buyer I want the item as described, delivered safely and promptly. I have the power to address any shortcomings, and the ability to thank those who provide a good service. I care not if I receive feedback as a buyer, it can only be positive.... and all too often it is simply an advert for the seller (look at the feedback Firebreakline leaves) .

Whether a buyer or seller I will leave feedback, unless I am dissatisfied with the item I have received and feel the value does not justify the aggro or expense of a return. If I have not first raised my dissatisfaction with the seller I will not leave negative or neutral feedback.

So I agree with you it is all about good manners, but continue to believe it is too simplistic to just say "I have made my payment, give me feedback"

Thank you. As someone who routinely gives feedback, also anal to some degree, because I will often look for the item I am purchasing and search pages, and pages to see what someone, anyone has said about the item, I also agree with what the criteria is for me in terms of being a buyer. You can become upset, get peeved, even extremely irate. At the end of the day, a buyer can't insist, demand or brow beat or make a Seller reciprocate. No matter how glowing the feedback or how many stars.

Edited by fountainpenlady

Ea Alis Volat Propiis, per/Repletus Fontis Calamus!
She Flies by Her Own Wings, with filled Fountain Pen

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

As both a seller and buyer on Ebay for over 12 years, my policy towards feedback is as follows. As a seller I leave feedback for the buyer as soon as I receive payment. Your feedback as a seller should not be based on whether or not you received or approved of the feedback from your buyer. A buyer who promptly makes their payment, deserves positive feedback as soon as the payment is made. As a buyer I will only leave positive feedback for the seller, if the seller has left positive feedback at the time the transaction is completed.

The only obligation a buyer has is to pay for the item and provide an accurate address for delivery. I believe a buyer SHOULD provide feedback when an item is received in good order. I also think a buyer SHOULD work with the seller if the deal doesn't turn out well with the hope of making it a positive experience. However, if the seller won't work with the buyer to remedy a situation, then the buyer should feel free to use those few characters to tear into the seller.

I also believe the only obligation a seller has is to deliver the as-advertised item in a timely manner, using the delivery method outlined in the eBay listing at the agreed-upon price. A seller is not obligated to provide feedback - but should as soon as the buyer has paid.

The idea that either party has a duty to provide feedback is silly. The feedback system is useful, but is also voluntary - as in, it is a courtesy to use it, but not a necessity.

I do think, however, if a person is to faithfully use the system then it should be done so promptly after each party has fulfilled his obligation as buyer or seller. A seller should provide feedback when payment is received, as the buyer's obligation has been fulfilled. A buyer should leave feedback when the item is received, as it is then that the buyer's obligations are fulfilled.

As both a seller and buyer on Ebay for over 12 years, my policy towards feedback is as follows. As a seller I leave feedback for the buyer as soon as I receive payment. Your feedback as a seller should not be based on whether or not you received or approved of the feedback from your buyer. A buyer who promptly makes their payment, deserves positive feedback as soon as the payment is made. As a buyer I will only leave positive feedback for the seller, if the seller has left positive feedback at the time the transaction is completed.

I'm absolutely with you right to the last point - as a buyer I base my feedback only on my satisfaction with the transaction, not on whether my seller makes a comment. My feedback is for the benefit of potential customers as much as for the seller.