Pen Trip To Tokyo

transcend

I would like to buy from local craftsmen and avoid stores completely. If I can barter in farm animals, I know I'm in the right place...

Seriously however, any tips for a first time traveller to Japan, as a New Yorker whose only international travelling experiences have been to European? In general, or specifically to my desire to buy from a local craftsman with the aid of a human translator or an amazing app I haven't yet found.

Thanks

Edited by transcend

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Algester

• Frank C

• transcend

• Tinjapan

If it's your first time, I would stick to the well-trodden path. Most of the large pen shops will be where you will find the artisinal items anyway.

That said, if you'll be visiting in early March, you can visit a pen show; see this thread: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/284521-custom-845-midori-urushi-for-maruzen-pen-show/?do=findComment&comment=3272323

ahhh... there are only a few known craftsmen in Tokyo probably most of you guys probably know thats Nakaya Pen co., there's also Kato seishakusho, as far as research goes the former owner Kiyoshi Kato passed away a few years ago 2010 to be exact at the age of 85, so I'm not sure if it's still active as it's actually a small time work shop.
but if your going to be looking for pens
Maruzen, Kingdom Note, Takashimaya Department Store, Shousaikan ad Itoya will be the go to places
Maruzen, Kingdom Note, Shousaikan has some Sailor Inks as well, I havent heard any actions taking place in Takashimaya but they probably would have some inks as well, if you need adresses

Maruzen Shinjuku
29, Saneicho, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160-0008, Japan

Maruzen Ginza

1-9-18, Kaigan, Minato-ku, Tokyo 105-0022, Japan

Takashimaya Nihonbashi
2-4-1 Nihonbashi, Chuo-Ku, Tokyo

Shosaikan Pen Botique Ginza
5-13-11 Minami Aoyama, Minato-ku

Itoya Ginza
3-7-1 Ginza, Chuo, Tokyo 104-0061, Japan
proper pens like Nakayas can be found in K. Itoya which should just be right in front of the store's exit

Kingdom Note Shinjuku
1-12-5 Nishishinjuku, Shinjuku, Tokyo, Japan
Kingdom Note is especially noted that they have Shop limited edition pro-gears in red and green probably early this year and perhaps you can also see some other goodies as well, after all they also resell 2nd hand pens like it or not but of decent value

want Paper

Kakimori
4-20-12 Kuramae, Taito, Tokyo, Japan zip.111-0051
Special Services noted they also do ink mixing with Private Reserve inks

tell me if you want their websites or you can just find them in the net

Edited by Algester

Thanks guys. I will check out each contact. I plan to stay 5/6 days. I was obviously kidding about trading sheep and goats. For translation services, I've already found a number of guide services and suppose I will just let them tell me what to do when I get there.

What gifts do you think Japanese pen craftsmen and fellow pen enthusiasts would embrace best from "the west", or most specifically Manhattan?

Edited by transcend

As for gifts, most any fountain pen user would like a bottle or two of the Fountain Pen Hospital Exclusive inks--they are very New York!

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

As for gifts, most any fountain pen user would like a bottle or two of the Fountain Pen Hospital Exclusive inks--they are very New York!

I'd agree. FYI, gift exchanges in Japan are only slightly less complex than Quantum String theory (the right gift exchange depends on relative seniority of giver vs. receiver, history of the personal relationship, history of the professional/corporate relationship, time of year, underlying reason for exchange, relative value of gifts, etc.), but I think that FPH inks would work well as a gift in an initial meeting. Just make sure you package the various bottles in leak-proof bags since you'll have to pack them in your checked luggage.

Genius. Much better than what I was thinking. Thanks alot Frank.

If you will visit pen shops like itoya, naruzen, takashimaya, you dont need any present.

Im not aware of any craftsman available in Japan. The last time I contacted Nakaya asking to visit them to see, choose and buy a pen, they answered me to visit one of the shops selling theyr pens, like those above mentioned.

Genius. Much better than what I was thinking. Thanks alot Frank.

Thanks for the compliment. Make sure the caps are on tight and in your checked luggage. You don't want to have to repeat your fellow New Yorker, Plistumi's feat:

fpn_1361419557__tsa.jpgfpn_1361419641__tsa_02.jpg

She is still alive and well; I saw her at the LA Pen Show!

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I would like to buy from local craftsmen and avoid stores completely....

...any tips for a first time traveller to Japan...

I'm enjoying this thread. Please provide a report when you return. I've visited Tokyo (larger and more shiny than NYC) without a translator and got around fine, but I cannot speak for the countryside. Well, I did get turned around on the trains a few times my first time there ;-)

Enjoy the sushi (yum!) and the Ginza, etc. And don't forget the completely different tipping rules and cultural etiquette.

By the way, if you are a scotch aficionado and are leaving via Narita, do visit the duty free store. They have some excellent offerings in cool bottles that cannot be found in the U.S. You might even be there when they are doing a tasting.

Unfortunately I believe there are no more pen craftsman/shop left in Tokyo. Famous ones like Ohasaido, Onishi, Hakase are all very far away from Tokyo. The closest one I know of will be Stylo Art in Karuizawa http://stylo-art.com/?mode=f10 They make interesting wood/urushi pens. You'd have to call/email in advance to set up a visit to the shop though. Karuizawa is about 40mins train ride from Tokyo and is a beautiful mountain town, might worth the trip just to see a different part of Japan apart from big city Tokyo.

If you're interested in vintage high grade pens, you can check out Eurobox in Ginza. http://www.euro-box.com/ With the yen being low now, you should be able to find some surprising bargains.

This sounds very interesting and as everybody said, please do report back what you find.

Good Luck on your journey on pen-finding in tokyo!

-RTMC

Favorite Ink and Pen Combinations:

Monteverde Jewelria in Fine with Noodlers Liberty's Elysium

Jinhao x450 with a Goulet X-Fine Nib with Noodlers Liberty's Elysium

Lamy Al-Star BlueGreen in Extra Fine with Parker Quink Black

Pilot Metropolitan in Medium with Parker Quink Black

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti."

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Unfortunately I believe there are no more pen craftsman/shop left in Tokyo. Famous ones like Ohasaido, Onishi, Hakase are all very far away from Tokyo. The closest one I know of will be Stylo Art in Karuizawa http://stylo-art.com/?mode=f10 They make interesting wood/urushi pens. You'd have to call/email in advance to set up a visit to the shop though. Karuizawa is about 40mins train ride from Tokyo and is a beautiful mountain town, might worth the trip just to see a different part of Japan apart from big city Tokyo.

If you're interested in vintage high grade pens, you can check out Eurobox in Ginza. http://www.euro-box.com/ With the yen being low now, you should be able to find some surprising bargains.

The folks from Stylo Art were at the LA Pen Show. Plistumi bought two of their pens, https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/222977-devils-dictionary/page-31

They do beautiful work and speak English well. I just wish that I had enough cash to buy one.

The folks from Stylo Art were at the LA Pen Show. Plistumi bought two of their pens, https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/222977-devils-dictionary/page-31

They do beautiful work and speak English well. I just wish that I had enough cash to buy one.

Lovely pens she got. Yah, quite pricey pens...especially this one...http://stylo-art.com/?pid=87115991...but love the modern maki-e art!