How Many Pens That You Own Have Been Ground By A Nibmeister

Blue_Moon

I once bought 2 pens with XF nibs and added flex, who just recently returned from a known "nibmeister". A Skyline and a Vacumatic. They were so horrible, i immediately understood why i got them at half-price.

I`m still curious about trying a P51 with a fine nib adjusted by Mr. Binder, but since i can`t afford one, i`il try to avoid any customized pens from now on.

Edited by rochester21

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blue_Moon

• mitto

• OcalaFlGuy

• fountainpenlady

1 Edison Pearl ... Medium Stub ... Brian Grey

2 Kulturs ... Medium Stubs ... Letta (Pendemonium)

1 Simplicity ... Broad CI ... Pendelton Brown

1 Americana ... Broad CI ... Mike Masuyama

1 Hanryo ... Broad Stub ... Mike Masuyama

1 Americana ... Medium CI ... Richard Binder

For me the 'reground/adjusted' count falls into the same category as the 'pens in the collection' question - I've not kept track. If I went through everything the count would be significant. For several years every new (as opposed to vintage) pen I bought went to Richard Binder to be stubbed. A few others have been modified by John Sorowka, John Mottishaw, and Brian Gray; and tuned by Jim Rouse at Franklin Christoph.

D.C.

D.C. in PA - Always bitin' off more than I can chew.

P51 with F Binderized

TWSBI Mini with Pendleton's BLS on a F

VP 18K Binder CI O.6mm

VP 18K Binderized Bold

Esterbrook Gregg Shorthand nib by Letta

I want more, though!

P51 with F Binderized

TWSBI Mini with Pendleton's BLS on a F

VP 18K Binder CI O.6mm

VP 18K Binderized Bold

Esterbrook Gregg Shorthand nib by Letta

I want more, though!

For me the 'reground/adjusted' count falls into the same category as the 'pens in the collection' question - I've not kept track. If I went through everything the count would be significant. For several years every new (as opposed to vintage) pen I bought went to Richard Binder to be stubbed. A few others have been modified by John Sorowka, John Mottishaw, and Brian Gray; and tuned by Jim Rouse at Franklin Christoph.

D.C.

Jim Rouse is a great guy! And I do love a Franklin-Christoph!

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

None yet. Considering a Tomahawk grind on my TWSBI 580 from Art's Nibs.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Stephen Pustilnik ground two Parker's I bought at Dromgoole's - a Parker Sonnet and a Parker IM Metallic, making both broad nibs into italic nibs. Those are my two favorite pens right now.

Just one.

John Sorowka reground a Pelikan M800 medium to a stub.

I am still trying to figure out what the next one will be.

Five Oxonians (Sorowka) at last count, some bought secondhand and two of his lovely cursive italics. A Pendelton waverly nib. I also have a pen with Mike Masuyama, which is... taking a while...

Also quite a lot of Jinhaos I've ground myself. But I'm not a nibmeister. I'm a niblehrling, I suppose :-)

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

Just one. And that was and incidental, as the primary task was to adjust the nib so that it would write. The nib was received out of alignment/adjustment and wrote poorly.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Well done ground nibs can make you crazy(ier).

I find most of my unground nibs to slid down the hill into the muck of Boring.

I enjoy my ground nibs so much that it seems to make me hypercritical of my UNground nibs. Their line between Blech and Yeah! gets thinner.

The 14k F nib here being a prime example.

PHOTO_20140916_134409.jpg

It's the only Fine 45 nib I have, almost all my others are Mediums or ground Mediums.

My nearly automatic reaction would be to have this nib ground by Mike.

"Problem" is, it's just too damn nice to grind. It's wetness is Perfect and it's not only got some spring to it but there's

actually a little flex line variation there without overstressing things. For me, this is one of those Few nibs that is good

enough Like It Is to Not be ground.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Quite a few. I used to buy on ebay and direct the seller to send it directly to Richard Binder for customization, thereafter to be forwarded to me.

That's brilliant. Next time I buy something off Ebay I think I shall do the same.

Edited by Lovely_Pen

μὴ ζήτει τὰ γινόμενα γίνεσθαι ὡς θέλεις, ἀλλὰ θέλε τὰ γινόμενα ὡς γίνεται

καὶεὐροήσεις. - Epictetus

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

That's brilliant. Next time I buy something off Ebay I think I shall do thee same.

You'll have to choose another nibmeister. Richard Binder no longer grinds pens, except at pen shows, and I'm not sure how many more of those he'll do.

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

You'll have to choose another nibmeister. Richard Binder no longer grinds pens, except at pen shows, and I'm not sure how many more of those he'll do.

Yes, I was actually thinking Pendleton B. or Mike M. Having it shipped directly to a nibmeister would save me the $6 shipping and USPS hassle. I recently bought a Sailor 1911M off of Ebay and the while the pen is gorgeous, it writes horribly. I ultimately decided to mail it over to Pendleton and I'm sure it'll come back in better condition that what it initially arrived in ::fingers crossed::

μὴ ζήτει τὰ γινόμενα γίνεσθαι ὡς θέλεις, ἀλλὰ θέλε τὰ γινόμενα ὡς γίνεται

καὶεὐροήσεις. - Epictetus

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Let's see:

A Nakaya Dorsal Fin V2 with 1mm Stub/CI by Mottishaw

A Nakaya Long Cigar with a .5mm Stub by Mottishaw

A Pelikan M400 with a 1mm BLS by Pendleton

And a Pelikan M101n with a 1 mm BLS by Pendleton

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af283/Runnin_Ute/fpn_1424623518__super_pinks-bottle%20resized_zps9ihtoixe.png