How Many Pens That You Own Have Been Ground By A Nibmeister

Blue_Moon

How many pens do you own that have been ground by a nibmeister? What pens and what nibmeister?

I've got two currently - a Lamy 2K - Pendleton Brown and a Pilot VP - Richard Binder. I had a Pelikan M200 - Richard Binder and a Rosetta Magellan - Pendleton Brown, but I sold them.

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blue_Moon

• mitto

• OcalaFlGuy

• Lovely_Pen

I have a Pelikan 600 (new style) and a Montegrappa Espressione that John Mottishaw worked on for me and a Signum Orione Duetto that Pendleton Brown turned into a cursive italic. There was also an OS Balance that had belonged to my grandfather and that Ed Jenkins of the Fountain Pen Hospital in Baltimore worked on but some years ago it was stolen.

My Website

M800 B stub by J. Mottishaw

M1000 BB stub by P. Brown

M205 .4mm stub by R. Binder

MB146 was ground into a fine by J. Sorowka

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

Pelikan M600, recently returned and Shawn Newton worked on to make it an XF point from a medium nib so far.

Ea Alis Volat Propiis, per/Repletus Fontis Calamus!
She Flies by Her Own Wings, with filled Fountain Pen

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

Ground or tuned/adjusted?

Ground: Nakaya Piccolo ground to a .6mm stub by John Mottishaw, TWSBI 580 stubbed and added flex by Pendleton Brown, Lamy 2000, Bexley Elegancia, and Bexley Corona all stubbed by Mike Masuyama.

Of ~20 pens, aside from those that were ground, all but 3 have been tuned by the place of purchase (Mottishaw, Gray, Binder, etc).

~Jaime

(she/her)

adjusted: 1 visconti opera by Tim Girdler

ground: 1 visconti voyager (to go from a left oblique to a right oblique) by Richard Binder

I hope to get my set of stipula vedos ground into Tim's pillow italics at Baltimore, and possibly another right oblique grind by Richard.

Current Wishlist:

Visconti, Visconti, and...more Visconti! (And some ST Duponts too). (Ok fine, getting on the Omas and Montblanc trains now too. Toot toot.) (And maybe on the Montegrappa one too, but only for the Miyas.)

Two Rosettas with Pendleton Brown nibs.

A MB 149 purchased pre -owned with a B nib that was "Binderized".

I've got two Franklin Christoph pens with interchangeable nibs. For the pens I've got a Pendleton fine and medium, and on the way, a broad and medium italic by Masunama and a fine and medium cursive italic grind by Letta from Pendomonium.

I also have a Binderized extra fine Pelikan M205 nib.

Kent

Over the past 5 years I'd say something like this (don't have exact numbers handy...):

15 - 20 ground by Michael Masuyama

3 - 4 by John Mottishaw

3 - 4 by Pendleton Brown

2 - 3 by Richard Binder

1 by Greg Minuskin (was re-tipped too....)

As you can see I like ground nibs.....

;)

Mark

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

Well, four that have been modified from the factory original, but only one that was reground to my specifications, a Montblanc Noblesse oblique medium, which I picked up at a fairly low price was not at all to my taste, but became possibly my favorite nib after being reground to a "normal" .6 mm medium by Greg Minuskin.

The others were bought already modified. I have a Mike Masuyama medium stub on a Franklin Christoph 27; the nib is nice, but the pen as a whole isn't a favorite. There's a Richard Binder oblique cursive italic for a Vanishing Point which is good, but I just haven't been using it much, preferring the regular fine. Another Binder cursive italic for a Pelikan M200 is also nice to write with, but I just haven't felt like it lately.

On the whole, I've decided that my taste in nibs can be pretty well met with unmodified standard ones. I think I'd only get another regrind to fix a problem nib that was worth salvaging, like the one on the Montblanc. I'm not sure that this will come up again anyway.

Edited by ISW_Kaputnik

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

Four for me. I have a Vanishing Point with a medium nib that Mike Masuyama ground down to a nice fine at the Arkansas Pen Show a few years back, an Edison Pearl with a 0.7mm stub (done by Brian Gray as part of the original order), a Parker "51" with a Greg Minuskin stub retip, and my Pelikan M1005, which Greg also retipped with a nice, juicy 1.4mm stub.

I had another Vanishing Point with a Richard Binder Italifine nib at one point but sold it to fund another pen. It's the one pen I've sold that I often wish I hadn't.

Aurora Ipsilon stubbed by Art, according to the classified I got it from.

Parker 51 1mm stub from Greg Minuskin.

Lessee ... five so far:

Edison Collier; EF nib adjusted by Richard Binder at the time of sale. Binder .6mm Italifine/XF nib added later (one of the very best pens I own, writingwise).

Pelikan M205; .9mm Binder Italifine/XF added some time after purchase.

Pilot Custom 823 M; reworked to cursive italic by Pendleton Brown.

Twsbi Vac 700 F; reworked to cursive italic by Pendleton Brown.

Other than a Binder Waverly done for my wife's M205, that's it for our house. So far.

Ground or tuned/adjusted?

Ground: Nakaya Piccolo ground to a .6mm stub by John Mottishaw, TWSBI 580 stubbed and added flex by Pendleton Brown, Lamy 2000, Bexley Elegancia, and Bexley Corona all stubbed by Mike Masuyama.

Of ~20 pens, aside from those that were ground, all but 3 have been tuned by the place of purchase (Mottishaw, Gray, Binder, etc).

I said "ground," but I was thinking "ground" or "adjusted," - either.

Lamy 2000 B: P. Brown's BLS

Pelikan M600 M: Binder's .6mm stub

Gotta love Pendleton's BLS! :wub:

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

Hmmm. Can I think of them without having to cheat and go look?

P-51 Aero Midnight Blue, Dual tone cap, Masuyama rounded CI .6 mm

P-51 Vac Cedar Blue Lustraloy GD cap, Masuyama rounded CI .6 mm

Sheaffer Imperial Blue, GF cap, Binder Uber-smooth CI, about .6 mm

Sheaffer 444 Stainless Crisper CI Letta-Binder about .5 mm

Parker 45 Arrows, Red, Teal, Gray all with 14k Masuyama rounded CIs, .6 mm

Parker 45 Deluxe Blue 14k Masuyama rounded CI .6 mm

Levenger True Writer Cherry Crushed Ice, Pendleton Brown Crisper CI .6 mm

Kultur Clear Blue Demo, CI'd by a FPNer who escapes me at the moment.

2 Esterbrook 9668's ground to smooth CI's by Pendelton Brown (One in a Root Beer J, one in a Blue Streaker J)

1 Esterbrook 9668 ground to a smooth CI by Pendemonium's Letta in a Blue Sreaker full size Tranny, 3 rib jewel

A Fine Esterbrook 9460(?) ground to a crisp CI by Pendleton, parts box

Sounds like 14 to me.

I've missed a few Mijama and Atlanta pen shows. I have at least 3 pens that need grinding now.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Three for me:

Lamy 2000 B: Pendleton Brown's BLS (not using this one because its too broad for my writing)

Pelikan M200 M: Binder's .6mm stub (not using this one at the moment)

Pelikan M600 M: Binder's .5mm stub (i have this one on a vintage 400NN tortoise Pelikan)