Parker 21 Nib On Parker 51

mitto

I have an English mk1 aerometric (1952) P51 whose nib is a bit damaged at the tipping. Today while cleaning my P 51s , P21s and P45s I learnt that the nibs of P51s and some P21s were interchanchable. Coincidentlly , I have, among my 6 P21s , a 1956 P21 super that has a gold plated nib. When I tried fitting the nib from this particular P21 on my P51 (with the damaged nib) it just did fit as if though it actually belonged to a P51. One thing I would mention that I do have doubts that the supposedly P21 pen whose nib I did fit in the P51 might be a 51 special because its cap is that of the 51 special (short clip steel with black jewel). But I took it for a P21 (with wrong cap of P51 speecial/demi) because the aero filler does not have the inscription "51 special". I have the following questions:-

1) Are the nibs from P51s and P21s interchanchable?

2) Are there P51 specials with aerometric fillers just saying " PARKER.TO FILL PRESS RIBBED BAR FOUR TIMES. WIPE FRONT END, PEN POINT DOWN,WITH SOFT TISSUE.USE PARKER INK. THE PARKER PEN COMPANY.MADE IN USA" with no mention of "51 special?

Here are both the pens:

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitto

• FarmBoy

• icardoth

• OcalaFlGuy

Sorry , I should have also asked as to whether the shorter pen was a P21 (with a mismatched P51 special/demi cap) or was it actually a P51 special/demi?

Eddited for correcting typo.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

A 51 Demi aerometric cap will not fit on a full size 51.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

The pen whose nib was taken out isn't full size. It is demi size. The pen that was fitted with the so taken out nib is a full size aero 51. The guestion is wheather the shorter pen is a P51 aero demi/special or is it a P21? Forgot to mention that the damaged nib taken out of the full size aero P51 was also fitted in the shorter pen. In such a case doesn't the shorter pen seems to be demi/special earo 51? But again there is the guestion that the fiiler unit on the shorter pen does not say either "51" or "51 special".

Khan M. Ilyas

All of my 51 Special (I have 5) are marked as such in the filler. As far as I know, Super 21 nibs can be installed in a 51, but these nibs are Octanium and not gold plated. Please note that only *Super* 21 nibs can be used, not the earlier 21 nibs.

The exact legend you describe is present on the filler of all my Super 21s (I have 4).

Edited to add: I have one Demi 51 and the filler is marker "51" as well.

Edited by icardoth

I am not aware of any Parker plated 51 or 21 nibs.

There is absolutely nothing to stop someone from putting a 14k gold 51 nib in a 21 Super though.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

There is absolutely nothing to stop someone from putting a 14k gold 51 nib in a 21 Super though.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

That is my luck then. Found a gold 51 nib for my 51. All by chance. I have Octanium 21 nib to install in my 21 that was generous enough to donate me a perfect nib for my 51. Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Bruce , Have rechecked. It is not plated. It is, as you said, 41k gold 51 nib. Lucky me. Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

A number of years ago there was a batch of Octanium 51 Special nibs that got gold plated. The plating covered the tipping material and could be removed rather easily.

Just to clarify, there are NO nibs that Parker issued for the 51, 51 Special, 21 Super that were plated. They are solid 14K or they are octanium.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

<Tossing the lit Zippo into the gasoline lake>

I saw a mess of what looked like 14k P-51 nibs on Fleabay from China.

Someone said they were counterfeit. Seems plausible. A Hero 100 nib just needs the stampings and presto mongo, instant Parker 51 nib.

Lord only knows what THOSE are made of.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

FarmBoy and Bruce, why always philosophy and even harsh language? Why not teach a poor non-English speaker in simple language?

Khan M. Ilyas

FarmBoy and Bruce, why always philosophy and even harsh language? Why not teach a poor non-English speaker in simple language?

Bruce writes in -let's say- a vivid, picturesque, scenic English. You get used to his language with some practice. But FarmBoy writes just plain English, no problem with him.

Bruce writes in -let's say- a vivid, picturesque, scenic English. You get used to his language with some practice. But FarmBoy writes just plain English, no problem with him.

Yes , I love both men's styles as well as syntax. Both are lovly n lively as well.

Khan M. Ilyas

I don't think either meant to sound harsh. But when communicating with lots of people on a subject where bad information circulates faster than good, you have to jump on misinformation -- even when it happens through simple mis-communication.

By the way, I admire anyone who can read a message board in a non-native language. I certainly can't do it!

It actually does fit, but it doesn`t look right.

It actually does fit, but it doesn`t look right.

My Demi aero caps only fit on Demi pens. Vac Demi caps will fit on standard size pens but they are shorter.

My Demi aero caps only fit on Demi pens. Vac Demi caps will fit on standard size pens but they are shorter.

What are the differences between a demi aero 51 cap and a full size 51 aero cap? Demi's is shorter with shorter clip? If this is the demi aero cap then this cap fitts all my full size aero 51s.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas