Where Are Vanishing Points Made? (Us Market)

NBMTX

I was browsing Engeika and while trying to figure out the reasons for varied prices, I noticed the site was emphasizing that some particular models are "Made in Japan" and others [sold over here, I assume] aren't... which then led me to notice that the one's I'd been looking at via Amazon aren't marked Pilot Japan AFAIK.

While it's not really a deal breaker by any means, I was wondering where are Vanishing Points sold here in the US manufactured...? Could it be that the barrels and/or nibs and feeds are being manufactured across various places and assembled somewhere else?

Also, I heard some feedback here (I think) about US market Vanishing Point nib sizes performing closer to standard/western nibs, as opposed to what's typical for Pilot (running a size smaller).

I have a 78g, Metropolitan, and Prera that are all Japanese "mediums" and a pleasure to use, but now I'm not sure whether or not I should order a VP in a fine or a medium... or does that also relate to which VP-market I'm buying from?

Thanks in advance for any knowledge you might have,

-NBM

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Algester

• arcadeflow

• Icywolfe

• NBMTX

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I know, they are all Japanese pens. Pilot used to make fountain pens in other countries in the past, mainly Korea, but I never heard of Chinese ones. Some colors are specially made for the USA, as some models (with international cartridge compatibility) are exclusive to Europe. The reason some Pilot nibs run wider is the fact that they are made with gold. Usually the steel nibs are finer in Japan. It is said that Sailor pens run wide too, so that is not a Pilot thing.

mainly japan... still in Japan Pilot USA just gets them from their Japanese branch renames them to Vanishing Point from the Japanese name Capless same process goes through the Falcon from the original name Elabo (which to this day the name still eludes me)
but one thing is certain at least to my close observation the nib performs like a western nib (Pilot Gold Nibs) in a sense they are closer to their western counterpart

Edited by Algester

Odd thing is that the VP's sold in JP has a different hole compared to the US ones. I doubt the 50 USD+ pens are made out of JP. I know the Tanks are made in out of country.

mainly japan... still in Japan Pilot USA just gets them from their Japanese branch renames them to Vanishing Point from the Japanese name Capless same process goes through the Falcon from the original name Elabo (which to this day the name still eludes me)
but one thing is certain at least to my close observation the nib performs like a western nib (Pilot Gold Nibs) in a sense they are closer to their western counterpart

I asked you before what was the closest word to Erabo/Elabo and you said "Great" and "Bow." "Great Bow" as a pen name I can see it work by a company. Especially if they are the same company who who thought of the naming of Super Ultra 500. If ultra wasn't enough "Super" needed to be there too.

#Nope

http://www.pen-info.jp/eng_namikifalcon.html

This site has a theory on the Elabo name. I have seen Japanese sites that mention the word elaborate in connection with the Falcon.

Re: Pilot VP/Capless

I've never heard of one of these being manufactured outside of Japan. Perhaps some parts of them are made elsewhere, but I doubt it very much. Usually the much cheaper VPs have a steel nib and I think those might be for the domestic market.

IB

選ぶ - えらぶ erabu

it seems this is the pun on the pen's name... that is probably the general consensus...
interesting

this will taken to note I tried to search the terms it seems it is what the internet thinks but
選ぼう - えらぼう seems to be the closest

I don't know where they are made, but the M and B versions of the VP nib do run wider than normal Japanese widths... more like Western M and B widths. However, the VP fine is a really fine line... more like a Western EF. This seems to be a consistent description. I enjoy the M very much, but the F is just too damn fine for me.

Oh, and whomever said Sailor nibs run wide like the VP nibs is not correct. The only nibs that have standard measurements finer than Sailor's are the Platinum/Nakaya line. I purchased a Pro Gear B, and it wrote a finer line than all of my Western M nibs. Check the nib tipping size chart at Nibs.com for specific numbers.

I enjoy MB 146 pens, Sailor, Pilot and Platinum pens as well. I have a strong attraction to dark red and muted green ink, colors I dislike for everything but FP ink. I also enjoy practicing my handwriting and attempting to improve it. I love the feel of quality paper under a gold nib.