Mb Perm Inks

SeeksAdvice

Have been play testing the black ink. I'm ... unimpressed. After drying, it smudges fairly easily, and really easily with water. Was using a wet writing M800. Get better retention with Kiwa-Guro from Sailor than this stuff. The ink had frozen solid in transit, but can't imagine that being fatal to a carbon-black ink?!? Not to mention the fact that the stuff smells like a chemical plant (could have sworn that I opened a bottle of "Sharpy" ink).

Also have a replacement bottle of MB Perm Blue (replaced the one that froze and gave me serious issues). This stuff stains nearly as bad as The Blue That Shall not be Named from Noodler's. The previously frozen bottle utterly clogged my Stipula Speedball, which I can't seen to get a replacement section from Yafa (guess they want to bend me over a table to "repair" the pen). The replacement bottle was showing signs of leaving deposits in my MB 146. What the heck is that stuff made out of?

Am I doing something wrong with this stuff? Bought it hoping that it would give better performance than Noodler's "bulletproof" line. Now, I just want to chuck it out the window.

Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse reasons hath diverse names. -- T. Hobbes - Leviathan

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• meiers

• FredRydr

• max dog

• RudyR

I can't imagine that freezing the ink did it any favors, but aside from that it doesn't seem like you're doing anything "wrong."

I have a bottle of the same ink and haven't noticed any smudging once it dried. How long are you letting the ink sit before testing it?

A little bit of residue is not a problem. Those are iron-gall inks. And the odor isn't an issue either.

Remember to flush your pen occasionally because the iron-gall can clog up the works if left to dry inside your Pelikan. Just use as directed. Your ink comes with detailed directions from the mother-ship.

I would close the bottles tight and give them a good shaking. Shaken, not stirred your inks should be good to go and ready for your writing projects.

A little bit of residue is not a problem. Those are iron-gall inks. And the odor isn't an issue either.

Remember to flush your pen occasionally because the iron-gall can clog up the works if left to dry inside your Pelikan. Just use as directed. Your ink comes with detailed directions from the mother-ship.

I would close the bottles tight and give them a good shaking. Shaken, not stirred your inks should be good to go and ready for your writing projects.

Just wanted to clarify a point here. MB Permanent Inks are not Iron Gall, maybe you have it confused with the Midnight Blue that was iron gall but isn now discontinued. Montblanc no longer produces an iron gall ink that i know about.

My bottle of Montblanc Permanent ink is very waterproof and very well behaved. It is my favorite legal document ink. Perhaps you should let Montblanc know about this and see if they will send you a replacement bottle if the above recommendations do not improve it. I pretty sure that Montblanc would be interested in this problem as any manufacturer of any good product would be.

What Would The Flying Spaghetti Monster Do?

All I know of was discussion here about the inks when they were new and members were wondering what waterproofing agents were used while not being iron gall. They have some sort of ISO rating I believe that is said to be quite permanent. Unless there was some information kept under wraps about the ink mixture.

In reference to the issues, I also received my last bottle of ink frozen from my front porch. I read some threads here and determined it was best to mix/shake the ink after thawed in case particles had separated while the water molecules froze. The permanent inks have many visible particles which can definitely cause problems for some pens/nibs. I tried Perm Blue once and just didn't find a need for it. The only thing I noticed was the little particles being left behind in my ink window after rinsing multiple times.

I keep thinking about selling some of my pens but all that happens is I keep acquiring more!

Rudy, I beg to differ: permanent blue and permanent black are iron gall inks.

I am unsure of this. As has been said, these MB inks have an ISO rating for permanence that IG inks don't have. Also, their behavior does not seem like other IG inks I have used.

If they are not IG inks maybe they are pigmented or cellulose reactive. Only the folks at the MB headquarters know for sure...

I got my MB inks from FPH in NYC. Pretty sure they are legit. FPH was also kind enough to not only send a replacement of MB Perm Blue, they also sent a super-deluxe-economy sized bottle of pen flush. There are no brick and mortar stores in Northwest North Dakota. I live 18 miles from the Montana border, ~65 miles from the Canadian border, and ~330 miles from the Minnesota border. I am actually closer to Regina, SK than I am to any US city of >100,000 people. Closest brick and mortar is probably Paradise Pen in "The Mall of America." Been to that mall once, have no intention of ever going again.

MB Perm Black has to be a pigmented ink. It's not cellulose reactive as it actually comes off the page far easier than that. It also, in thick enough applications, has the same grey sheen that Kiwa-Guro and Platinum Carbon Black have. It also shades a bit, and the way it flushes out of the pen reminds me of Kiwa-Guro.

All-in-all, I just keep thinking that there should be "more" to this ink than I'm experiencing.

Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse reasons hath diverse names. -- T. Hobbes - Leviathan

i have a bottle of the MB perm grey. it smudges just like what you have mentioned, but i do not get the chemical smell from the ink. btw, the water resistant ability is excellent.

Here is a well done comparison of MB permanents inks. Perm Blue, Black and Midnight Blue IG.

Of the 3, appears Blue is the most water resilient. The Black is a little less resilient than the Blue.

Edited by max dog

I personally do not see the idea for iron gall inks. I got captivated by their 'allure' not too long ago and liked the colour transformation properties, but eventually they gave me such a headache dealing with their dryness or misbehaviour that stopped using altogether.

I can't think of anything that I want permanent ink for. I mean, what deserves so much care/concern?

Have you ever had a rain drop splat right in the middle of the page of your note book?

It doesn't take much for the ink to lift off the page into illegibility.

Edited by max dog

Have you ever had a rain drop splat right in the middle of the page of your note book?

It doesn't take much for the ink to lift off the page into illegibility.

Right. Of course. Sorry, I keep forgetting not everyone lives in Dubai/Cairo where every single day of the frickin' year is clear and sunny hehe