Parker 51 C/c - The Good Kind Of Ebay Surprise!

MxMJ

I got this in the mail today and was pleasantly surprised! I knew I had gotten a good deal (at less than $25 shipped) but I did not know it was this good of a deal! There was one blurry picture of the pen uncapped, just enough to tell that it was a 51. I figured it for a normal, black P-51 Aero. I need to swap out the nib and the cap isn't in great shape but still!

Here is what I got:

http://i.imgur.com/GZOoaOml.jpg

Edited by MxMJ

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MxMJ

• mariom

• mitto

• SockAddict

Top Posters In This Topic

The picture is working for me.

All I get is a little broken image icon and the message "403:Forbidden" if I click on it.

=====================================
Mario Mirabile
Melbourne, Australia

www.miralightimaging.com

Help a newbie, wouldja? I see the pic, but I don't know what I'm looking at.

Parker 51s normaly have an inbuilt filling system, this is a parker converter that can be taken out , normal parker cartridges should also work in these.

I wasn't sure if it would, this was kind of a test. It is hosted on another board. Try this link to the full album http://imgur.com/a/eBjkN#0

Better, thanks, I can see the pics fine on that link. Good buy.

I've read that Parker played with a converter 51, but it didn't take off. Are all the other internals the same?

Edited by mariom
Mario Mirabile
Melbourne, Australia

www.miralightimaging.com

Isn't that sweet! That's what I love about 51s - so many surprises!

Apparently quite a few 51 aerometric models were retrofitted to cart/converter in London at one point. Parker made its own cart filler from 1958 to 1962. Yours is probably one of those. You got a great deal there.

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

Thank you for the clarification. I love how just reading stuff here teaches me, but sometimes I need a little help. So this is quite rare, yes? Good find!

Isn't that sweet! That's what I love about 51s - so many surprises!

Apparently quite a few 51 aerometric models were retrofitted to cart/converter in London at one point. Parker made its own cart filler from 1958 to 1962. Yours is probably one of those. You got a great deal there.

Interesting. I have a few of these fillers on my 45s.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/post-117288-0-29389700-1424601052.jpg

Khan M. Ilyas

Congratulations MxMJ,

Nice photo and an incredibly rare find! Good for you. I have a full-size Parker 51 c/c in cocoa which Roger Cromwell assembled for me from one of Howard Levy's conversion kits. But you have what appears to be one of the originals! I have only seen two of them in all my years of pen collecting. Both happened to be black with lustraloy caps. Parker 51 authorities, is this a coincidence or were the c/c fillers produced in limited colors for their 1958-1962 life span?

Thanks in advance.

Best wishes,

Barry

Thanks Barry

parker51.com says they came in black, gray, teal blue, burgundy, navy blue and green. Mine is navy blue.

Oh man. Why can`t i find any of those? :)

Have just picked another P45 (earlier plastic-45 deluxe) with the converter fitted in this P51.

Khan M. Ilyas

Nice find

I have a 51 desk pen that is cartridge fill -was sure it was a 45 when I got it(LOL)

Keith

Nice find

I have a 51 desk pen that is cartridge fill -was sure it was a 45 when I got it(LOL)

Keith

Lol. But I am serious. Have now 5 P45s fitted with the converter shown with the OP's P51 c/c pen.

Khan M. Ilyas

These factory convertors are quite rare so you certainly got a great E bay find....

Many would like to buy that from you.. That extends to the 61 models as well

The other parts you seek are easy to obtain ... I do believe inside the pen is a special convertor nipple by Parker which allows for the seating of the convertor, most likely the convertor is available it is the

receiver/ convertor nipple which does the seating and real work.

penfancier1915@hotmail.com

Tom Heath

Peace be with you . Hug your loved ones today

These factory convertors are quite rare so you certainly got a great E bay find....

Many would like to buy that from you.. That extends to the 61 models as well

The other parts you seek are easy to obtain ... I do believe inside the pen is a special convertor nipple by Parker which allows for the seating of the convertor, most likely the convertor is available it is the

receiver/ convertor nipple which does the seating and real work.

I doubt I will ever find another one this cheaply so I'm going to be keeping the pen, for now at least. I have a lot of 51 parts including nibs, I just haven't worked up the courage to take it apart yet. While 51's are durable, I have cracked a hood before during removal :wallbash: