M 200 Demonstrator

Paul Austin

I used a Scheaffer School cartridge pen in junior high school. It came on a plastic-sealed card, with two extra cartridges. After a 45 year hiatus, I began using a fountain pen again - a Monteverde with a converter - and have loved it.

I recently bought a Pelikan M 200 demonstrator, and can't wait for it to come in the mail.

Can someone explain the 200, 400, 600, 800 series? And the difference between a 200 and a 201, or a 215? (Or is it like asking the difference between a Ford Mustang and a Ford Fiesta?)

Thanks in advance, for your comments.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul Austin

• sargetalon

• Dottie

• SujiCorp12345

Some details:

In general, the models ending with a 5 have silver coloured trim, as opposed to gold coloured trim that the models ending with 0 have.

The M200 and M400 are the same size but the M400 is more expensive since it has gold furniture and a 14k gold nib instead of a steel nib. The M215 is similar to the M2xx series except it is a little heavier.

The M600 is a little bigger and still has the gold furniture and 14k nib.

The pens above use plastic for their piston mechanisms.

The M800 and M1000 use brass mechanisms for their piston so the pens are heavier. The M1000 nib is very springy, while the M800 nib is a nail (assuming you mean the most modern versions of these pens). The M800 is bigger than the M600 and the M1000 is bigger than the M800.

Edited by Suji

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

To build on what Suji said...

The M100, M150, and M200 are part of the introductory Classic line.

The M300, M400, M600, M800, and M1000 are part of the high end Souverän line.

Each of the above models have different variations based on trim. The M2xx line for instance has the

M200: Gold trim and stainless steel nib

M205: Rhodium trim and stainless steel nib

M215: Rodium trim and metal barrel with stainless steel nib

M250: Gold trim and 14C nib

There is some variation amongst the models and there are limited editions of some of the lines which have vermeil caps for instance. The M100 and M150 are smaller pens. The M200 and M400 are the same size. The M300 is the smallest of the lot, believe it or not, and is very tiny. As you progress from the M400 up to the M1000, the pens get taller, heavier, and have a wider diameter. As you go up in the lines, the price point increases. That's the basics to get you started. Look around if you're interested as there is lots to learn.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

I have a pen that was sold to me as a M200 with an italic nib but the nib is gold. Is that still a M200?

I have a pen that was sold to me as a M200 with an italic nib but the nib is gold. Is that still a M200?

Is the nib gold-plated steel, or gold?

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

Current production classic line is gold plated stainless steel. That would be the M200. If it's truly a gold nib, it would be stamped 14C-585.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

If it looks like an M200 (without the M400's stylings/trims) and has a 14k nib, it may be a M250.

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.”

Graham Greene

If it looks like an M200 (without the M400's stylings/trims) and has a 14k nib, it may be a M250.

Like this one I got with a 14K Medium (~ 1992-1996)

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/M250/uncapped.jpg

The nib on the M250 at the time seemed to be no different than the M400 of the same time period.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/M250/nib.jpg

Edited by KBeezie

Wow!!! Thank you so much for these responses. This is all so fascinating. I have never understood "collecting" things (Other than books. Maybe bicycles.) But man-oh-man, there are so many beautiful pens, and so much to know about them.

I'm grateful for everyone's explanations and input. There is such a blizzard of detail, for a new guy, it's intimidating. Thanks for such a clear introduction. (In a month or two I may be regretting going down this rabbit hole, depending on how much money drains out of my bank account, and into bottles of ink)

Thanks again,

Paul

Oh I so envy you the madness of that first year of fountain pen frenzy! So much to learn and so much fun to have. If you like your M200... there are a whole load more, and you can pursue your collecting without ever having to tread into Parker or Sheaffer territory :-)

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

amk, yes, it is fun! So much to learn. For so long I've lamented my ugly penmanship, so I recently started working on the Spencerian System of Practial Penmanship books, a set of facimile editions of books first published in 1874. Got it off Amazon. I've learned i, u, m, n, x, v, and am up to "o." Then there are all of the ink issues. Just too much fun. I'm doodling those letters on any line I come across: catalogues, newspapers, any piece of paper that is headed for the recycling bin, I practice my forms on. Having a blast. (Which gives an indication of the excitement levels in my life)

(Which gives an indication of the excitement levels in my life)

No, it just means you've joined us in our mad activities. Hope you continue enjoying it for a good long time ...

Thanks. I have discovered that practicing penmanship is a very restful, calming, activity. (I'm now up to "a.") Using a fountain pen my father used for years and years. Have ordered six small samples of ink: three black, three blue, and a Noodler flex tip, along with the Pelikan.

I also enjoy the threads on the pen and penmanship websites: they are so very civil.

Thank you for your good wishes.

All best,

Lots of good information above; one picture is worth 10,000 words, so I refer you to the following web page:

http://www.nibs.com/PelikanMainPage.htm

Have fun with your Pelikan, it is one of my favorite brands of pen.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

I have a Pelikan M201 - in this case fitted with a full flex XXF 14C gold nib. A little small for my hand but a most interesting nib supplied by Richard Binder.

Thanks for the replies Frank C and Peter Beoworld. Peter, how do you like your full flex XXF?

I ordered a Noodler pen to use as my knock-around pen, have been enjoying it. (My Pelikan isn't here yet)

I'm not at the point where my penmanship is good enough to need/use the flex option, but I hope, someday, to be ready for it. I've been working from a set of Spencerian Penmanship exercise books, practicing every day, and finding it all very calming. (I work in an ER, and the pace is very different, than when I'm at home, practicing penmanship) I'm also trying to develop good habits in terms of posture, arm/wrist/hand motions.

How did you come across Richard Binder?

All best,

Paul

Which Noodler pen did you order? I have a little Nib Creaper that I really enjoy using to test out inks, as it's a cheap little pen with a very decent nib that allows me to get a good feel for the ink's shading range. I find it actually performs that specific task better than the larger Ahab I own.

Further to the excellent information from others - notably from Suji and Sargetalon - there are some special editions of the M600 range (M640) that are apparently heavier and slightly bigger than the standard 600-series. I have yet to get my hands on one of them, but they are very attractive to someone like me, because they are close in size to the 800-series (which many consider the ideal size for a standard-sized male hand), but have far more nib options. This is because you can fit nibs from the 200 and 400 range into them.

With reference to your question about Richard Binder: he is very well-known on FPN, fair to say that he is quite an authoritative source.

If you're enjoying playing with flexible nibs, you really could do worse than get yourself an older Pelikan nib: these are often quite springy, even flexible. FWIW, my perception is that there is a degree of confusion over exactly where the boundary between springiness and flexibility lies, and that different degrees of flex are differently defined. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I could chip in on this, but I mention it as a word of caution if you are tempted to buy something advertised as "flex", as the term could mean nearly anything. Try and see photos of the line the pen puts down.

Finally, if you are new to the whole FP adventure/madness, you might want to look up YouTube videos by people like SBREBrown, for tips and reviews. But lock away your credit card first...

Thanks, Stephanos. I got an Ahab. Seems like a well made pen, that is simple, easy to use, and a good starter pen. WIll be glad when the Pelikan gets here. I'll have to look at some of the YouTube Videos.