Purchased A Duovac Off Ebay And I Have Repair Questions

Ih8darian

I bought an untested 1941 blue Duovac for $50 on eBay. I loaded up some Kon Peki and when I pressed on the button thing (I recently got into Fountain pens and have yet to learn vintage terms) ink would get on the buttons sides and slowly go back down into the pen. Also, when I write for a little while the ink starts to get very wet with ink. Is that supposed to happen?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ih8darian

• Otter1

• FarmBoy

• ac12

Nope.

Sounds like you need to get the filler restored at a minimum, probably 35-40 to have it done by a pro repairman--several are listed here.

This is probably not something you want to tackle yourself as your first vintage repair.

Good luck with it.

-Otter1

Nope.

Sounds like you need to get the filler restored at a minimum, probably 35-40 to have it done by a pro repairman--several are listed here.

This is probably not something you want to tackle yourself as your first vintage repair.

Good luck with it.

-Otter1

Is it worth it to repair it? It would be hard for me to shell out another $35-40

Don't give up :-)

I mistyped on the repair costs: 25-40 is more like it for repair costs,with mailing it back and forth.

Depending on the pen, it probably is worth repairing---check out the prices vacumatics go for in the classified section here.

Alternatively, if you are near a pen club (I see you are in California), you might show up at one of their meetings, or at a pen show with pen in hand and ask for some opinions/help. They could probably help steer you in the right direction--most pen folk are only too glad to help someone new to the hobby/pastime/obsession.

-otter1

Don't give up :-)

I mistyped on the repair costs: 25-40 is more like it for repair costs,with mailing it back and forth.

Depending on the pen, it probably is worth repairing---check out the prices vacumatics go for in the classified section here.

Alternatively, if you are near a pen club (I see you are in California), you might show up at one of their meetings, or at a pen show with pen in hand and ask for some opinions/help. They could probably help steer you in the right direction--most pen folk are only too glad to help someone new to the hobby/pastime/obsession.

-otter1

I live in Sacramento, do you have any idea where I'd find a pen club nearby? I wish I got the pen sooner, then I'd, have went to the LA pen show :(

You are in luck, there is one in your town.

Check out the "Clubs Meetings, and Events" forum here and you'll see there is a Sacramento Pen Posse pen group that has formed or is forming.

Hope it works out for you!

-Otter1

You are in luck, there is one in your town.

Check out the "Clubs Meetings, and Events" forum here and you'll see there is a Sacramento Pen Posse pen group that has formed or is forming.

Hope it works out for you!

-Otter1

Thank you! I'll check it out :)

YES. Put it away with TLC, until you have $35. It is certainly worth restoration.

It is an excellent vintage fountain pen.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

YES. Put it away with TLC, until you have $35. It is certainly worth restoration.

It is an excellent vintage fountain pen.

Just flushed it out, guess I'll have to use my 45 in the meantime :(

Oh well though, sooner or later I'll get to love that pen!

If you can get to the SF Pen Posse this Sun (Feb 22) in Millbrae, Farmboy might be able to do that repair for you.

BUT...he needs to know in advance to bring the vac pump removal tool, and a diaphram (for which you will need to pay him for). Also if the diaphram pellet is not easily removed from the pellet cup, that will end up being a shop repair, to remove the pellet. If you are coming, send Farmboy a PM.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

If you can get to the SF Pen Posse this Sun (Feb 22) in Millbrae, Farmboy might be able to do that repair for you.

BUT...he needs to know in advance to bring the vac pump removal tool, and a diaphram (for which you will need to pay him for). Also if the diaphram pellet is not easily removed from the pellet cup, that will end up being a shop repair, to remove the pellet. If you are coming, send Farmboy a PM.

I can most likely come, thank you for telling me! I'll pm him right now :)

I'll tell FarmBoy what to bring to the event when I see him.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

In case you're wondering, you could repair the vacumatic filler yourself, but you'll have to invest in tools to do it, which would cost you way more than $35. If you're hoping to learn about restoring vintage pens, these tools are pretty common to repairing most pens.

You'd need:

1. Replacement diaphragm ($3.50 or so, plus postage. You'd probably want to buy a few of them to be ready for the next Vac repair.)

2. Heat gun or hair drier. (If you already have a hair drier, you can use it.) Heat guns cost $40-$100.

3. Vacumatic filler mechanism removal tool (about $35-$40)

4. Section pliers (spark plug pliers) used to remove separate the nib/section from the barrel. This might not be necessary if the nib and feed are working fine, but you may need to open the pen if the section is clogged with dried ink. (About $15)

5. Hobby drill with a fine burr bit to drill out the dead diaphragm's pellet from the filling mechanism. (I use a Dremel.)

The heat gun and section pliers you'd use on just about every pen you repair, so they'd be an investment in a future hobby. The vac tool is only for vacs, so worth buying if you plan to learn to restore vacs. The diaphragm is a sparer part that you'll need for just about every vac repair (there are three sizes).

One question: are you sure it's a Vacumatic? The striped Duofolds also came as button fillers. The vac style will have a amber plastic plunger rod extending from the back of the barrel (covered by the blind cap that you screw off). The button filler will have a small brass button to push. If you have a button filler, you won't need the special vac tool or diaphragm or drill. You'll just need a sac of the proper size, heat gun/drier, talc, and shellac, so that repair would be much simpler and cheaper -- definitely something you could do yourself.

I think -- but I'm not certain -- that the vac models were "blue diamond" models that have a blue diamond at the top of the pocket clip. The blue paint may have worn off, leaving an empty diamond shape. The button fillers were not blue-diamond models, so they have a plain area on the clip above the word "Parker." I'm actually using a button-filler striped Duofold today as my carrying pen.

Richard

Did you get a Duovac, or a Vacumatic? I just got, and repaired, my first Duovac. It's a button-filler, with a sac and a pressure bar. Pretty much the same thing as a Duofold. It still sounds like you need to fix the filling system, but this would be a lot simpler.

This is the Duovac I just did:

fpn_1424733186__parker_duovac_red_1a.jpg

In case you're wondering, you could repair the vacumatic filler yourself, but you'll have to invest in tools to do it, which would cost you way more than $35. If you're hoping to learn about restoring vintage pens, these tools are pretty common to repairing most pens.

You'd need:

1. Replacement diaphragm ($3.50 or so, plus postage. You'd probably want to buy a few of them to be ready for the next Vac repair.)

2. Heat gun or hair drier. (If you already have a hair drier, you can use it.) Heat guns cost $40-$100.

3. Vacumatic filler mechanism removal tool (about $35-$40)

4. Section pliers (spark plug pliers) used to remove separate the nib/section from the barrel. This might not be necessary if the nib and feed are working fine, but you may need to open the pen if the section is clogged with dried ink. (About $15)

5. Hobby drill with a fine burr bit to drill out the dead diaphragm's pellet from the filling mechanism. (I use a Dremel.)

The heat gun and section pliers you'd use on just about every pen you repair, so they'd be an investment in a future hobby. The vac tool is only for vacs, so worth buying if you plan to learn to restore vacs. The diaphragm is a sparer part that you'll need for just about every vac repair (there are three sizes).

One question: are you sure it's a Vacumatic? The striped Duofolds also came as button fillers. The vac style will have a amber plastic plunger rod extending from the back of the barrel (covered by the blind cap that you screw off). The button filler will have a small brass button to push. If you have a button filler, you won't need the special vac tool or diaphragm or drill. You'll just need a sac of the proper size, heat gun/drier, talc, and shellac, so that repair would be much simpler and cheaper -- definitely something you could do yourself.

I think -- but I'm not certain -- that the vac models were "blue diamond" models that have a blue diamond at the top of the pocket clip. The blue paint may have worn off, leaving an empty diamond shape. The button fillers were not blue-diamond models, so they have a plain area on the clip above the word "Parker." I'm actually using a button-filler striped Duofold today as my carrying pen.

Richard

Hello, thank you for the response and helpful info!

I already met up with FarmBoy at the pen Posse event at SF and he was kind enough to fix my pen and it works perfect now! (Also the pen was a vacumatic)

Did you get a Duovac, or a Vacumatic? I just got, and repaired, my first Duovac. It's a button-filler, with a sac and a pressure bar. Pretty much the same thing as a Duofold. It still sounds like you need to fix the filling system, but this would be a lot simpler.

This is the Duovac I just did:

fpn_1424733186__parker_duovac_red_1a.jpg

Sorry I didn't clarify, it was a vacumatic. Luckily FarmBoy already fixed it though, so I no longer need any help :)