People Who Journal (Is That A Verb?) Article

ethernautrix

I don't know if this has been posted before (a cursory look at the topics didn't show it), but "Science Shows Something Surprising About People Who Still Journal" (by Rachel Grate).

FTA:

They are healthier than the rest of us — and not just mentally. Documenting thoughts and feelings in writing, whether it's in a leather Moleskine or on a computer screen, has enormous benefits for our physical health.

These benefits include long-term improvements in mood, stress levels and depressive symptoms. Not only does writing make you less likely to get sick, it also increases chances of fighting specific diseases like asthma, AIDS and cancer.

It can even make physical wounds heal faster. A study from 2013 found that 76% of adults who spent 20 minutes writing about their thoughts and feelings for three consecutive days two weeks before a medically necessary biopsy were fully healed 11 days later. Meanwhile, 58% of the control group had not recovered.

The study concluded that even one hour of writing about distressing events helped participants make sense of the events and reduce distress.

And other benefits.

Well, that explains why I'm so well-adjusted. (LIMH.)

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• Ghost Plane

• ethernautrix

• Charles Rice

If you ever get a knock on the door and the cops ask "where were you the night of . . .?" a journal can come in mighty handy. Unless you were the one that did it.

Ironically, I read that article while still recovering from a really bad cold. :wacko: Which is probably exacerbated by the weather and the related stress: I spent several hours on Tuesday afternoon flat out on the bed with a pillow over my head just waiting for the miracle surgury that will permanently remove my sinuses from my head, and wishing that 12 hour sedated actually LASTED for 12 hours. Or at least for overnight. :glare: The generic stuff from Sam's Club seems to be formulated so that instead of working over the 12 hour stretch, it works for FOUR hours and then remembers to send out another batch of the medication for the next four -- thus negating the doctor's precept about getting plenty of rest....

All joking aside though, it was a very interesting article. Thanks for posting the link.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Well, dang it. Wish I'd read that two weeks ago, before my knee surgery. I slacked off on my journaling in the days leading up to surgery because I was too busy putting my work life in order in light of my impending medical leave. Haven't picked the journal up since I've been home, either. I am healing, fairly well from what I can tell, but you can bet I will be writing in a journal tonight (i am weaning myself off pain meds, too, so the writing will be coherent now!).

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

And then to compound matters, I've been recovering from what seems to to be a case of food poisoning. :sick:

Spent most of yesterday sleeping, with the occasional lucid moments being awake to drink diluted Gatorade. Had some of the weirdest dreams ever -- so vivid that when I *was* awake I had to remind myself -- "no, you did NOT go downstairs to a house you haven't lived in for 20 years. No, you did NOT leave all your clean clothes at your grandparents' house -- they've been dead for a really long time now. No, they did NOT tear down the house across the street and replace it with an Isaly's -- and Isaly's is NOT a dollar store...."

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I have journalled for years and years with a few dry spells but the last 10 years I have been more steady with it: challenges with career; career ended 3 years too early; health issues for my wife and me; family losses; changes In jobs, new grandchildren, two great grandchilden and daily challenges all make journaling all the more important and pleasurable. I write about the stresses of world events. I see and talk with scarred veterans nearly everyday . Writing is good for the soul. I recently tried to convince a much younger coworker to start a journal now . there are no rules I told him . if you're really having a bad day turn to page 63 and "void" it.

Got him to laugh.

Edited by Studio97