Run It Through A Coffee Filter?

Reefallo

At a pen show over the weekend, I got a bottle of Private Reserve Burgundy Mist. Opened it last night, and -- there's a hint of precipitate, some filmy spots, on the surface.

I had several thoughts, one of which was, why couldn't I just run it through a coffee filter? Would that work? But it does beg the question, what IS that filminess?

Any thoughts?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RudyR

• SeeksAdvice

• Oranges and Apples

• Reefallo

That filminess is bacteria, called SITB or Slime In The Bottle.

It will infect your pen, which is MUCH harder to clean, so make sure the ink is either discarded or dealt with before you use it.

You can throw it away. That is 100% safe and 100% bummer.

You can filter it AND use a biocide on it to kill the bacteria. Without the killing, it'll just get slimy again.

See this post on what a good biocide is, and how much to use.

--

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

Ink cheep, pens $pen$ive. Throw it away.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

I would use it, even though it is an unpopular practice. If it you think it is mold, I would then find another use for it.

I think using an iron gall ink is much more detrimental to your pen then any bacteria which could be found in your ink bottle since iron gall inks produce insoluble sediments. Bacteria could always be killed later on.

Well now, this is all rather disgusting, isn't it? Life forms in the ink; egad.

In the interest of Science, I have decided to conduct an Experiment. I ran the ink through a coffee filter; cleaned the ink bottle and cap with pure bleach; and returned the ink to the bottle. I will let it sit for a week (at least) and see if Signs of Life return. If not, I guess I can try it in a cheap pen.

If nothing leaps off the page and consumes my face (a la Alien), I shall report back with my findings.

Filmy oily looking material floating on top is not an uncommon occurrence. It does not necessarily mean the ink has gone bad. I have even seen small flake like structures floating on top and have found they do not really replicate over time, thus they are probably inorganic. SITBs usually are phlegm or thread like that cling to a nib or toothpick. Even this can be misleading as I have had a bottle with such a substance but it turned out to be that the ink had precipitated a load of dye and after shaking the bottle, the material disappeared and never really came back.

There are photos on this forum, of real alien ink lifeforms that are obviously organic,and probably from outer space :).

Just to clear up a point, Modern Iron gall ink is no less damaging to pens as other inks. The old steel and metal parts used in the past did react to Iron gall ink of old, but so did other inks that had an acid component to it. And with modern materials used, iron gall ink can be used with very little worry. Just do what you are supposed to do with any ink; flush your pen every 3 months and you will be fine.

What Would The Flying Spaghetti Monster Do?

Hi,

I suggest setting the ink aside, then contact the Vendor for a replacement. Also ask the Vendor and the ink Co. if they want a sample for analysis.

If it is a rogue bottle, that's one thing, but if it is a bad batch, then both the Vendor and the ink Co. can do a recall and take steps to prevent ink with SITB from entering the market.

Such a consumer response allowed several ink Co.s to sweep naughty ink from the market, and solve upstream problems quickly, hence retain their reputation and client base.

__ __

Regarding sediment in I-G inks:

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Hi,

I suggest setting the ink aside, then contact the Vendor for a replacement. Also ask the Vendor and the ink Co. if they want a sample for analysis.

If it is a rogue bottle, that's one thing, but if it is a bad batch, then both the Vendor and the ink Co. can do a recall and take steps to prevent ink with SITB from entering the market.

Such a consumer response allowed several ink Co.s to sweep naughty ink from the market, and solve upstream problems quickly, hence retain their reputation and client base.

__ __

Regarding sediment in I-G inks:

Bye,

S1

You are a wealth of information, as usual, Sandy.

Please don't put SLIME into your good fountain pen. If you insist on using the bad ink,

dedicate a $2 cartridge/converter pen to it. (Jinhao 599 on Ebay) You will like the color.

You will eventually forget, and suck some of it into your nice lever-fill pen.

My suggestion ? Be 100% Lou Erickson safe. Cap the bottle tightly, and put it into the

trash.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

If throwing it away is not in your nature, use it with a dip nib or glass pen. Write the great American novel then just rinse the pen in running water

Voila! You're famous, rich and haven't ruined an innocent fountain pen

Private Reserve has often been mentioned with SITB problems. Not every bottle, not every color, but often enough to be of concern to me. I used it at one point, about a decade ago, until I looked in the converter of my Namiki Impressions and found something growing around the rod.... and then snot came out of a pen that I had restored a week or so before when I cleaned it. I quit using the ink for that and other reasons.

IF it is mold using the ink in one pen, and then using another ink in the same pen can cross contaminate. If the mold grows in the feed, it can completely clog a feed - vintage or modern. I've had to take many clients pens completely apart, clean in a biocide and scrub and pick bits of stubborn fuzzy stuff out of feeds. That works on pens where you can easily take them apart though it might be a pain. Not an option on some like a Legacy nib unit or others which are glued together.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Exterminate it with extreme prejudice. Xenophobia is your friend. You're looking at a "biofilm" on the surface would be my guess. The "precipitate" is probably colony growth that's stained the color of the ink.

I'm still chasing problems that were introduced with a couple of Noodler's and Diamine inks that had gone bad without me noticing it until I looked closer. I thought I had solved the problems, but appears not to be the case. The stuff apparently survived multiple baths in 70-90% isopropyl alcohol. Yeesh.

Simply not worth it. PR ink is cheap, and I'm wondering if there's a return of SitB issues. I simply refuse to use the stuff.

It has been said that fire purifies. Embrace xenophobia and send the vile material to its end.

Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse reasons hath diverse names. -- T. Hobbes - Leviathan

For what it's worth, I had the same problem with the same ink. I quite using it and will not buy more.

What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?

You need a 0.22 micron filter to remove bacteria. Even so, there's no guarantee that the ink won't go bad again because the biocides originally present in the ink might have gone off.

My PR Burgundy Mist has gone bad on me in a matter of months. It's just this ugly brown now. I won't be repurchasing PR for a while. Unless the local specialty store brings it in the PH. :lol:

On that note, throw out or mix with reds, pinks and violets? I only use it with my Hero pen which I got for $3 shipped.

Well, I just threw away my first bottle of ink that had a SITB infection. While rinsing my pen to tuck it away, I noticed colored floaties in the rinse water. First red flag.

So i got out my SITB probe (a toothpick), did a dunk and swirls sampling. Sure enough, a blob of S*** came out attached to the probe. Red flag number 2.

To see if it was just dye precipitate (a benign situation) I threw some of the sample into a small bowl of water. The result was that the material held together and never separated and it looked very much like a mat of material with threads. Red flag number three and the final deciding one.

I trashed the bottle of J Herbin Eclat de Saphir. I believe I bought this bottle from the time they were having water quality issues and is the result of a pinned topic in one of the forum sections on inks.

So if any of you are interested, this is how I verify if something is SITB or just dye precipitate. Makes me want to buy a microscope . . . . Oh heck, makes me want to buy a whole lab for the sake of ink science.

Edit:

Just ran a test on my bottle of Private Reserve Plum, one the first bottles of ink I ever bought and it too has SITB. I think I may need to start checking all of my old inks now.

Edited by RudyR

What Would The Flying Spaghetti Monster Do?

Did it have an amoeboid shaped lifeform on the bottom of the bottle? I've been having the most issues with little "discs" or "dots" of stuff in Noodler's inks. Thought I had fixed it in my inks, guess not. Also had some show up in a demonstrator too.

Best to just toss the ink like you did.

Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse reasons hath diverse names. -- T. Hobbes - Leviathan