De Atramentis Ink History... The Middle Ages

Morbus Curiositas

De Atramentis Ink History the Middele ages

Dear FPN Friend this is the second part of Ink history this time it is about the middel ages, hte First part Ink History Antiquity can be found here

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/263795-ink-history;-the-antiquity-and-first-centuries-ad/

The original German text was taken from the Die Tintenmanufaktur. This is the infomation website of De Atramentis. The passionate owner of De Atramentis Dr Franz Josef Jansen did a lot of research on Ink History and is working on a book o Ink History. Dr Jansen was so kind to allow me to translate his original German texts for FPN... I will put in some links at the bottom of this article.

http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a617/Morbus_Curiositas/Ink%20hisory%20middle/D_A%20Franz%20Josef_zps9csglupx.jpg

Ink History Middle Ages

When researching the literature on the manufacturing of Inks, one name must definitely be mentioned here. Theophilus Presbyter and his work the “Schedula Diversum Artium”(List of various arts) Theophilus was Benidict Monk,who probably lived in the 12 Century, described various recipes for the production of inks.

http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a617/Morbus_Curiositas/Ink%20hisory%20middle/Theophilus%20Presbyter%201874%20-%20Schedula%20diversarum%20artium%20des%20Moumlnches_zps4fvjxf3f.jpg

In chapter 45 of his first book " De Incausto” (of Inks) he writes:

Mix an extract of bark of Bramble/Briar wood with Wine and concentrate this solution. Mixed with Atramentum (lat. A very black substance) and use this liquid for writing. What exactly the Atramentum was, vitriol or coal, cannot be retrieved from the text.

Further in the book he mentions recipes for the production of Gold, Silver, Brass and Copper inks. The finely grinded metals should be partially mixed with glue, ox bile and salt but also Arabic gum and finally should be stirred with vinegar or Wine and Water

In one of his writings advice for the production of coloured inks can be found. These inks were made of White Lead, Carmine or Verdigris (Copper Acetate) which should be mixed with Arabic Gum, wine or plant sap

Hardly anything can be found on the production / use of Iron Gall inks in this age. Worth mentioning is only a short note, by Albert Magnus (1193-1280 a German Benedict monk)

http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a617/Morbus_Curiositas/Ink%20hisory%20middle/Magnus%20en%20Mineranilus_zpsllrp0c5i.jpg

Who in his work de mineralibus et rebus metallicis (of metallic mineral and things) mentions Atramentum Viride. Some name this Atramentum Viride Vitriol, and was used for making ink:

(Atramentum Viride = Melanterite, an Iron sulfate analogue to copper sulfate)

That Iron Gall inks already were in common use is proved by a prescript from the 15th century. This “recipe” describes not only the ingredients used, but also the amounts these ingredients and deducts to the chemical compound of Iron Gall inks

German bibliographer and librarian Friedrich Adolf Ebert (1791-1843) in his books Handschriftkunde (Art of Handwriting) of the Altenzeller Codex (1412 AD) mentions the following recipe (In old German)

http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a617/Morbus_Curiositas/Ink%20hisory%20middle/Friedrich%20Adolf%20Ebert_zpswhvjwzjy.jpg

Gallustinte - Nimm Galläpfel und zerreibe sie klein zu Pulver, tue darüber Regenwasser oder dünnes Bier und tue Vitriol hinein, soviel wie nach deiner Schätzung ausreicht und erlaube ihm einige Tage zu stehen und seih es gut durch ein Tuch, und es wird gute Tinte sein.Und wenn du schreiben willst, tue ein wenig Gummi arabicum hinein, und erwärm es ein wenig über dem Feuer, dass die Tinte nur warm werde, und es wird gute und unzerstörbare Tinte sein, worauf du auch immer schreiben mögest. (Altenzeller Codex 1412)

Iron Gall Ink- Take Oak Apple and grind this to powder, poor Rain water or thin beer (a middle age equivalent for the undrinkable water) and add Vitriol (metal sulfate), as much as you think is needed (sic). Leave it to rest for a few days and sift it trough cloth and you will get a Incausto Bonus a good Ink.

And When you want to write add somre Arabic Gum, heat over fire, that the ink gets warm and it will be an indestructible ink for whatever you want to write on (sic)

A rich source for Ink recipes is the Manuscript Liber Illuministarum (1500 AD) which can be found in the library of the Monastry of Tegernsee (Bavaria Germany)

http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a617/Morbus_Curiositas/Ink%20hisory%20middle/Monastry%20tegernsee%20FPN_zpsvb82dmii.jpg

First a recommendation followed by the Augustinian Monks of Munich is given:

Integra sit galle, media sit uncia gummi vitrioli quarta. Apponas octo falerni.

Thus, the recipe calls for: nut gall (one full ounce), gum arabic (extracted from several species of acacia and soluble in water, half an ounce); iron vitriol (one quarter of an ounce), and eight ounces of Falernian wine, celebrated since the time of the ancient Romans.

I will try to translate the recipes as well as possible…. Which is quite hard. I am Dutch and this is German fom the Middle ages. :wacko: My advice do not drink these mixes! :)

Recipe zu ainer maß iij lot galles, ij lot gumi, iij lot vitriel. Thue das galles und vitriel zusamen in ainen hafen, und sued ain weil, und den gumi daran, auch verber swartz darzue.

You take a bit of Gall, you take Arabic Gum you take vitriol. Put the Galles and the Vitriol together in a pot. Let it boil for a while and ad Arabic gum and add a bit of Black

A recipe for Iron Gall Ink says:

Recipe viij lot galles, vj lot vitriel, iiij lot gummi, ij maß wein und ½ trincken essig. Und thue die materi allzu einander in ainen haffen, und lass warmen. Darnach thue i lot alann darzue.

You take gall, you take vitriol, you take Arabic gum, a(certain amount of) Wine and vinegar. You all put this together and heat it up, then add Alum

http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a617/Morbus_Curiositas/Ink%20hisory%20middle/Verdi%20and%20Gum_zpsjzhrhzww.jpg

Following recipes for coloured inks can be found

Wildn ain schön rub rick machen, so nym zynober als vil du wild, und reib in auf ainem reibstain mit wasser gar wol hierzu wurde noch "ahrklar" gemischt.

Would you like to make an nice (Red Ink?????), so you take Cinnabar (see Picture) as much as you like grind it on a grinding stone with water and mix with egg white

Für blaue Tinten plab tincken verwendet man den Farbstoff plab, für grüne Tinten grün dincken nahm man spangrün mit essich, weinstein und airtotter oder honig.

For blue (Plab????) inks you use the pigment Plab, forgreen inks you take som Verdigris (Copper Acetate)and mix with vinegar, potassium bitartrate (wine crystals) and egg yolk or honey

At the end the recipes for the production of gold and silver inks are given

Wildu nach gultig gold und silber schreiben, reib es wol als zinober, und temperir es mit ahrklar..... und schreib damit, wann das wol truck hen wirt, so nymb ein guldein oder silbrein ringlen, und streich es senfft damit pis es glanntz wirtt...

Would you like ot write with gold and silver…. Grind it like Cinnabar and warm it with egg white…. And write with it. When it dries you take a Gulden (coin) or silver coin and rub I gently till it shines

Oder man soll sich aurum musicum aus der apoteca holen, mit Gummiwasser anreiben und mit rubica vermengen. Nach dem Schreiben und Trocknen der Schrift soll man mit einem Zahn plötten. Auch veingolt mit Gummi arabicum und Salz verrieben, soll als Tinte gedient haben.

Or you get Aurum Musivum (Mosaic Gold=tin sulfate) from the pharmacist’s rub with Arabic Gum

Rubica (Carmine??) After writing and drying the writings should be rubbed I with ???

Also gold powder mixed with Arabic Gum and salt were used for writing.

Too Conclude,

I hope you enjoyed this.

The following articles will be

• De Atramentis Ink History 16th & 17th century
  • De Atramentis Ink History 18th & 19th century
  • A translation of Maurice Jametel's les Encre de Chine.This 18th century book deals wiht ink production in ancient China. I will colorze the drawings from this book with some fountain pen inks. :happyberet:

Thanks a lot to Dr Franz-Josef Jansen for the original German Articles. :notworthy1:

Regards

Peter Vlutters :D

Informatin Website where these articles where taken from

http://www.die-tintenmanufaktur.de/seiten/home.htm

The De Atramentis website for buying Inks

http://www.de-atramentis.com/index.php?language=en&=&=&XTCsid=0e6582762c716fbee507eb4494968245

Das leben ist wie ein Perpetuum Mobile mit ein Mangel..... Immer im Bewegung jedoch nicht unendlich. (life is like a troubled Perpetuum Mobile ever moving but not for ever)

Tricked throughout the centuries...

For centuries people had been tricked by kings & "religion-alism"

In the 20th century people got tricked by communism

Today people get tricked by (neo)capitalism :)

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morbus Curiositas

• mmg122

• amberleadavis

• white_lotus

Fascinating! Thanks for posting the information. I know a lot of people in the Society for Creative Anachronism who would be very interested in this stuff.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thanks for sharing. These kinds of recipes were for writing illuminated manuscripts. The painting with egg white (also known as glair) was used in manuscripts as egg tempura (made with the yolk) was too stiff and would crack. I'll have to check some of my art material books as they often discuss history like this.

Thanks for sharing. These kinds of recipes were for writing illuminated manuscripts. The painting with egg white (also known as glair) was used in manuscripts as egg tempura (made with the yolk) was too stiff and would crack. I'll have to check some of my art material books as they often discuss history like this.

Hello White Lotus,

Thanks for the response would love to experience what your art material books tell on these subjects

Regards

Peter

Das leben ist wie ein Perpetuum Mobile mit ein Mangel..... Immer im Bewegung jedoch nicht unendlich. (life is like a troubled Perpetuum Mobile ever moving but not for ever)

Fascinating information. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Your welcome and there is more to come

Edited by Morbus Curiositas

Fascinating! Thanks for posting the information. I know a lot of people in the Society for Creative Anachronism who would be very interested in this stuff.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Hi Ruth,

There is some nice information on the Internet. websites lke Archive. Org or Zeno.org are a rich source. Zeno is btw.... I must look into that Society for Creative Anachronism... :)

I will P.M. you a link when I find interesting articles

Peter

Thank you for sharing.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 1 month later...

MorbusCuriositas

Peter,

I don't know if this is the right thread for this question, but I was wondering if the good Doctor will be selling his Ink Thinner through Goulet Pens or his other retailers?

Thanks to you and Doctor Jansen for sharing the company's history.

• 4 weeks later...

MorbusCuriositas

Peter,

I don't know if this is the right thread for this question, but I was wondering if the good Doctor will be selling his Ink Thinner through Goulet Pens or his other retailers?

Thanks to you and Doctor Jansen for sharing the company's history.

Iwill look what I can do but why don't you right an email to rachel@gouletpens and ask for it.....

May be thy can add a bottle or more with their next shipment.....

Regards Peter