Long Island Pen Show 2015

Florida Blue

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/538/fiPHZS.jpg

I thought I would chime in with so last minute news about the Long Island Pen Show this weekend (14 - 15 March 2015). This is the ninth Long Island Pen Show and promises to be the best so far. The usual suspects will be there:

• Ron and Robyn Zorn of Mainstreet Pens doing onsite repairs
  • Richard and Barbara Binder will be grinding and tuning nibs
  • Susan Wirth will be helping visitors find just the right Pen for writing with flair and panache
  • Lisa and Brian Anderson of Anderson Pens will be Esterbrooking and offing an awesomely wide range of writing equipment and supplies including inks.
  • Kenro Industries, US distributors of Aurora, Omas, Montegrapa, Tibaldi and Sheaffer Pens
  • Fountain Pen Hospital will be offering a wide range of wonderful pens
  • I will be representing The Paper Trail offering lots and lots of Exaclair Products including Rhodia Pads in many sizes and colors.
  • Famous Author and Creator of the Black Pen Society, Paul Erano, will be exhibiting
  • David Isaacson of (bleep) fame will be exhibiting again with a special showing and review of late plastic Moores of the 94-A variety
  • Andy Beliveau will be showing his phenomenal silver work
  • Mario Campa of Toys in the Attic will be back again
  • John Corwin and his Flex nib pens will also return
  • Bob Novak of NYC pens will be showing some really fine writing instruments
  • and much more

Attending for the fist time this year will be

• The Indy-Pen-Dance with Mike & Linda Kennedy tuning and grinding and repair onsite

• Jim Baer, Monomoy Vintage Pens, will be offering onsite repairs also in addition to many fine writing instruments.

• St. Dupont will be exhibiting some very fine writing instruments

• Pen World Magazine will be offering a free sample and discounted subscriptions

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Florida Blue

• white_lotus

• Ambien

• penultress

This will be my first pen show. I'm really looking forward to going. Can anyone tell me what percentage of the pens are new vs vintage at shows

Thanks and hope to meet fellow fountain pen lovers there

The Long Island Pen Show originally had a vintage focus and that is the way it stays on my table but overall I would say that it is now about half and half vintage and modern for the show as a whole. With Fountain Pen Hospital, Kenro, Anderson Pens, ST Dupont, and several other vendors I would say that the modern pen is well represented.

I will very likely be there Saturday with a friend or two. Considering I live in Suffolk County and I made the trip to DC supershow last year there's no reason why I should miss a pen show that's just 40 mins away.

Message me about nib work in NYC

Instagram | YouTube

Dangit. Hopefully I'm showing up Sunday. Saturday is grandfather's 100th birthday. Can't miss that. Maybe I'll run into a few of you.

I'll still be there on Saturday but not sure how early I'll be able to get there. We have some weather coming our way, and in my area looks like we could get freezing rain, perhaps mixed with sleet in the early morning hours before 9am. I was planning on leaving 6:30 or a little after to get there before the doors open. But if we have freezing rain that may make the roads difficult and I may have to leave a bit later.

So there's a chance I'll end up missing out on any nib work from the nibmeisters if that happens. It'll be what it will be.

I'm planning on being there on Sunday, and can't wait! This will be my first pen show, despite being a huge fan of the little celluloid marvels for 20 years or so. Saturday or Sunday depending on the spouse, who has something on the Island one of those days.

Luke in Warwick

Edited by LukeGordon

Oh today is the big show. Hoping everyone had a big breakfast and is off to have some fun hunting for a bargain pen, some new inks, the perfect nib grinds and of course loads of chats and maybe even some new friends will e made or pen pals will meet face to face for the first time.

I want you all to go in search of the Black Pen Society pins, Fountain Pen Journal is something you may want to sign up for in addition to Pen World magazine. They have different magazine styles and contents. While in search of your Black Pen Society pin and membership, tell them Mags from Canada sent you!

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

Oh today is the big show. Hoping everyone had a big breakfast and is off to have some fun hunting for a bargain pen, some new inks, the perfect nib grinds and of course loads of chats and maybe even some new friends will e made or pen pals will meet face to face for the first time.

I want you all to go in search of the Black Pen Society pins, Fountain Pen Journal is something you may want to sign up for in addition to Pen World magazine. They have different magazine styles and contents. While in search of your Black Pen Society pin and membership, tell them Mags from Canada sent you!

+1 on Fountain Pen Journal! Excellent magazine! Got my Black Pen Society pin last week in Baltimore. Pen World is great too.

Edited by Tasmith

Shrugs, carpool failed me last min.

I can't say that I'm surprised but still disappointed. Hopefully, someday I will go to a actual pen show in-person.

Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow

I just got home from the pen show and it was great! My first pen show. Lots of nice people and gorgeous pen. It wasn't crowded, maybe because of the weather (cold rain), so it was great to be able to take a leisurely look at every table. Bought some things--mostly pen repair items--I love to buy old no-namers and fix them up for daily use--and I also got a bag of about 25 no-namers that will be fun to restore. Saw some beautiful, beautiful pens--I know what I'll be buying if I ever get rich!

from nyc - got to the show at 1, richard binder's list was already closed for the day. waited an hour to hand a pen over to ron z (fyi, 6+ mos. for a restoration). did one lap and peaced out. highlight: no taxis anywhere on a rainy day after the show but got a dominoes guy to give me a ride back to the train station.

in short, very small show - limited pen selection and the binder thing at the shows has officially gotten old - now i know why j. mottishaw charges 170 to grind a nib in 2 wks. and if you're ever in hempstead, ny (hopefully never) and need a ride - best to order a pizza. ask for jose.

end of report.

I had to leave "late" (8:45am) as we had some freezing rain up here and I didn't want to deal with any problems on the road. So I got there about noon.

Being my first show it was really great. I definitely enjoyed it. Penultress saw me and we chatted for a while and eventually I met some of the other folks with her from the NYC Pen Club. Very nice to meet them and hope to get to one of their meetings one month.

Quite a bit of vintage pens in attendance. A lot of Parkers, many Shaeffers, and a few Pelikans flying around along with some of the lower tiers. I looked at a number of Vacumatics but wasn't convinced I needed another. I should have tried to find one. I'll tell you why in a minute.

I seriously considered getting a vintage Pelikan M400NN. But I wasn't sure how much money I'd have to spend, and thought I had less money on me than I did. But the biggest criteria for me is I don't know how to evaluate a vintage pen. I can see visible marks, but I can't evaluate the nib even with a loupe as I'm just not knowledgeable enough.

I picked up a Lamy Al-Star in the new (LE) Color of Copper Orange at the Anderson Pens table. I wanted a pen I could just have around on me and not worry if I lost it. A bottle of Iro. Kon-peki somehow made it into my purchase there. :)

While waiting for my slot at Indy-Pen-Dance I walked over to the FPH booth. Just to see what was there. I'd been told last week that the new Pelikan Café Creme wouldn't be at the show in time. While talking with Penultress and her friends, there is was. So I had to buy one. I was so excited that I totally forgot to ask about the FPH Noodler's exclusive inks that I've been desiring. But I'm happy with this pen, my first Pelikan. I was worried that Pelikan was going to kill the M200 line for the P200. My worries appear unfounded. I think they'll be introducing some lovely little pens in this line as a way of introducing people to their quality pens. If this is the plan then I know a number of these lovelies will make into into my flock. As well as a M400 or so.

I spent a decent amount of time after lunch watching for my slot at Indy-Pen-Dance. Watched Linda work on a nib that had been essentially mis-adjusted for a fellow. And she worked on it until he was completely satisfied. And I got my chance. I have three third tier pens with 14K gold nibs. Linda was able to evaluate them to see what work might be necessary. Two of them I knew I'd need to send off, but I wanted to confirm what work was needed and that there was a hidden crack in the nib. I then chose one of the Parker Vacumatics that needed work. Linda started work on it even though it wasn't a great nib, probably an EF or even an accountants nib. But it didn't fill properly, and as her husband Mike worked on it, we soon discovered that a prior owner or repair person had glued the filler unit to the barrel! We're not talking shellac or section sealant here, we're talking airplane glue or superglue. So the barrel with it's filler unit was worthless and there was nothing they could do. Here's your pen back. They didn't even charge me for their time.

Now it was 4:30 without any energy left to search for a new Vacumatic or to catch that vintage Pelikan. I was ready for the 3.5 hour drive home.

I really enjoyed the show. And began to learn something about pens, especially vintage, and see real pen repair folks at work. Talk about perfectionism! Hopefully I'll be able to attend next year.

from nyc - got to the show at 1, richard binder's list was already closed for the day. waited an hour to hand a pen over to ron z (fyi, 6+ mos. for a restoration). did one lap and peaced out. highlight: no taxis anywhere on a rainy day after the show but got a dominoes guy to give me a ride back to the train station.

in short, very small show - limited pen selection and the binder thing at the shows has officially gotten old - now i know why j. mottishaw charges 170 to grind a nib in 2 wks. and if you're ever in hempstead, ny (hopefully never) and need a ride - best to order a pizza. ask for jose.

end of report.

Well that is just not a good sounding day. I really hope the next pen show is a different experience for you. The nib work for pen adjust and some rounding or sharper adjustments I thought was normally a bit under $40 per nib. $170 is ouch territory. I tried Mike at the last show and was super impressed and I think he does mail order repair and grinds.

There really should have been taxi's around on hold for the train crowd. I have heard good things about the show in the past.

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

Well that is just not a good sounding day. I really hope the next pen show is a different experience for you. The nib work for pen adjust and some rounding or sharper adjustments I thought was normally a bit under $40 per nib. $170 is ouch territory. I tried Mike at the last show and was super impressed and I think he does mail order repair and grinds.

There really should have been taxi's around on hold for the train crowd. I have heard good things about the show in the past.

That's not how things work on Long Island. If you need a cab, you have to phone for one.

Maybe that should be mentioned on the LIPS web site.

It is a good show, if a small one.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Well, I just came back from the Long Island Pen Show and I had a nice time.

I brought two friends with me. This was my first time at this show and this was one of my friend's first pen shows. Yes, it is smaller show (maybe half the size of the Philly show), but there were still many great pens to look at and try as well as many good vendors. The table where you got to try out different Noodler's or J. Herbin inks was fun. I didn't end up buying a pen (despite seeing a few that caught my eye) because I just bought a Lamy 2000 from Fountain Pen Hospital and I'm trying to conserve my money for a trip. I did get a pen restored by Ron Zorn, which was a Parker Challenger. It is always nice to get a pen restored in person and watch the repairman at his craft. We also had an interesting conversation about silicone sacs.

The friend whose first pen show this was bought a turned, wooden fountain pen, a cool automotive advertising pencil (with a miniature spark plug suspended in water) and a Sheaffer from FPH.

I will definitely try to make it to the show again next year.

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

didn't mean to be super negative - i know it takes a lot of effort to make it happen. just sayin': the "anchors" of the show are like rock stars - you can't even get close, much less chat. nib work? forget it. for me, i hate being that creepy, lingering guy in the background trying to wedge into a conversation - not gonna happen, man.

btw, i always have pens going to and from mike ;)

I had to leave "late" (8:45am) as we had some freezing rain up here and I didn't want to deal with any problems on the road. So I got there about noon.

Being my first show it was really great. I definitely enjoyed it. Penultress saw me and we chatted for a while and eventually I met some of the other folks with her from the NYC Pen Club. Very nice to meet them and hope to get to one of their meetings one month.

It was very nice chatting with you! One of my friends also has that Lamy AL-Star in Copper Orange. I think it's beautiful. I like your pairing with Kon-Peki.

Hope to see you at one of the meetings!