I Want A Pilot Vp, But...

Oldtimer

I have resisted since 2014 but I am in the brink of ordering it. I still have some doubts which I hold to, to keep the money in my pockets.

-- The ugly look of the push clip when the nib is inside. It looks incredibly long and odd. I guess that it is why most pictures of the VP show the nib, so that you don't see that oddity!

-- The fact that there is a lot of data saying that the F nib is very dry, extra fine and difficult to write with, while the medium is too broad and wet, so there is no intermediate nib size, but two extremes to choose from.

I like my nibs Fine, but not so fine that the ink fades and is too dry for normal writing. I wish I could order a fine or medium nib with confidence, but it seems that comtemplating the possibility that I will not like either, makes the buy a tough one. As much as I would like to have a VP because it would be easier to use in all situations, I can't pass the "hold it" line because those two issues.

Any help on this form VP users will be appreciated. I have read all the posts dealing with nib size problems here. Need a push to cross the line if you can provide it. Those are the entries that I am looking for convince me.

What will I do with it? while I normally use FPs to draw and doodle, I would like to use this in any ocassion that I have to do anything else: take notes, write in my journals, to do lists, grocery lists, take it out in my purse, pockets, sign documents, write letters, etc. All else, except drawing. It would be my writing pen. So I am leaning towards a M or B, thoygh I haven't heard too much about the B size.

Let the games begin! I will check at night. It's almost 2 PM here.

And Thank you in advance.

Edited by Oldtimer

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Oldtimer

• Dr.Grace

• Donald2

• Siv

Top Posters In This Topic

Oldtimer,

I have a Pilot decimo (with a Fine nib) that uses the same nib sections as the Pilot Vanishing Point. Frankly, I love it.

Like most pens, the ink and paper matter when evaluating a writing experience, and some combinations of ink and paper work well, while others flatly fail and drive me crazy.

For example, I use Noodler's Nikita, Noodler's Navy blue, and Noodler's Lexington Grey in rotation through various daily writer pens to provide color when making notes. Lexington grey is a wet, easy-flowing feathery ink, while Noodler's Nikita is a dry starter, and Navy is somewhere in between (in terms of ease of starting and feathering/flow). I keep Navy in my F-nib Decimo, Lexington Grey in my XF nib pen, and Nikita in a Lamy where it can do little harm, and I'm mostly happy. (My happiness increases when I use a ream of Staples 28 lb laserjet printer paper, with a smooth gloss and no feathering, no matter what the ink. But that's another story.)

Don't stress too much over the clip. It's easily adapted to once you start writing (it sits very close to the pen body, and doesn't poke you when you write). Also, don't worry about the pushbutton, it disappears into your pocket when you're not using it, and when you are using the pen, you're looking at the paper. It's too handy for words, really. I love mine.

What I suspect will make the decision for you is the paper you use and the tolerance you have for flow/feathering. So, look at the kind of writing you do, and the paper you use, and decide whether or not you're a tolerant person (tolerant of feathering / flow). If feathering drives you crazy, you need to go with more well behaved inks or try to incorporate better paper in your writing process. I believe, with all my heart, that the paper matters more than the nib 9 times out of 10 for most pens, if the nib is reasonably well tuned. == Twenty pound copy paper is horrible, no matter what ink you use. 22 pound paper is only slightly better. But, if you can spring for 24 pound paper (or 28), then a FINE nib will be a thing of beauty to write with, for nearly any ink you choose.

-- David B

Speech recognition software is not nearly as fun as breaking out a dip pen!

I have resisted since 2014 but I am in the brink of ordering it. I still have some doubts which I hold to, to keep the money in my pockets.

-- The ugly look of the push clip when the nib is inside. It looks incredibly long and odd. I guess that it is why most pictures of the VP show the nib, so that you don't see that oddity!

-- The fact that there is a lot of data saying that the F nib is very dry, extra fine and difficult to write with, while the medium is too broad and wet, so there is no intermediate nib size, but two extremes to choose from.

I like my nibs Fine, but not so fine that the ink fades and is too dry for normal writing. I wish I could order a fine or medium nib with confidence, but it seems that comtemplating the possibility that I will not like either, makes the buy a tough one. As much as I would like to have a VP because it would be easier to use in all situations, I can't pass the "hold it" line because those two issues.

Any help on this form VP users will be appreciated. I have read all the posts dealing with nib size problems here. Need a push to cross the line if you can provide it. Those are the entries that I am looking for convince me.

What will I do with it? while I normally use FPs to draw and doodle, I would like to use this in any ocassion that I have to do anything else: take notes, write in my journals, to do lists, grocery lists, take it out in my purse, pockets, sign documents, write letters, etc. All else, except drawing. It would be my writing pen. So I am leaning towards a M or B, thoygh I haven't heard too much about the B size.

Let the games begin! I will check at night. It's almost 2 PM here.

And Thank you in advance.

Formally, I had both a Pilot VP and I guess it's thinner version, a Decimo. Normally and exclusively I write with an extra fine point. However, I found the extra fine point in the VP, which the Decimo can also take too fine. I have heard there is an extra extra fine in some nibs, which is thinner than a Western extra fine and I would say the VP extra fine is really thin in line. I opted for a fine and then a medium. The fine point was more like an extra fine point I am used to in my opinion. The medium seemed closer to me to a Western medium as recalled.

Ea Alis Volat Propiis, per/Repletus Fontis Calamus!
She Flies by Her Own Wings, with filled Fountain Pen

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

Pilot nibs do tend to have a gap between F and M grades. What you could do is buy the M nib and have it ground down by a nib expert to the precise width you like. Alternatively, you could have the the F nib tweaked for a more generous flow.

Personally, I don't share your concerns about the knock unit. To me it seems like an organic part of the design. Probably when you see one in person it won't look out of proportion to the rest of the pen.

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

I had a Broad once, and it squeaked. Could never get it to stop, did everything. I've talked to other people who said theirs did the same, and a few other people who said I was crazy. Take your pick. Finally got rid of it. Have a M now and I'm much happier.

You get used to the clip. It helps you orient the pen. If you oblique your pens though, it might make you nuts.

Much Love--Virginia

I have a VP with an 18k gold nib. It is one of the best writing nubs I have ever used, a true western medium. I purchased a Decimo as well but it was too small and too light for my taste so I sold it. I will never be without a VP in my pen rotation as long as I am capable of using fountain pens. Buy one today!!!

I have a broad, and I do think it might squeak a bit, but it's honestly one of my very favorite pens. However, I'd say that in its case, it does not adhere to the "Japanese X is equivalent to the smaller Western Y" rule. It's definitely broad, wet, smooth, and wonderful.

I love the VP, it's a great pen. While I understand that the push button is longer than most retractable pens, I personally have no problems with it. When you're using the pen, it gets much shorter, so you don't really see it in use.

As far as the nib sizes go, if you want to buy a brand new VP, buy it from CFP (nibs.com), who will do adjustments of the nib for you at no charge. You can get a fine (or medium, whatever) and ask them to make the ink drier/wetter. Alternatively, they can do a custom grind (for a fee) if the stock nib size and ink flow adjustment isn't good enough. If you get over your other problems, I think tip sizing is relatively easy to overcome.

I'm new here & new to FP's in general so take what I say with a grain of salt. I use two VP's for daily use & I think their great. I use an EF nib in one because most of the paper I write on is as cheap as they can find so it feathers less. I also use a M nib to make bolder marks. Different colors in both. It makes my writing much more enjoyable to use these pens & my writing is better because it makes me slow down to use them. The M nib seems to glide across the paper better. The EF nib bites the paper on occasion but I think that has to do with me being heavy handed. As a side I do get a lot of complements on them but that means little. I am forced to write for my job so I want the experience to be the best I can have.

I have resisted since 2014 but I am in the brink of ordering it. I still have some doubts which I hold to, to keep the money in my pockets. [Among them], there is a lot of data saying that the F nib is very dry, extra fine and difficult to write with, while the medium is too broad and wet, so there is no intermediate nib size, but two extremes to choose from.

I have a VP with 18k rodium-plated fine and medium nibs. Envision a 5-point scale with a standard extra fine as 1 and medium as 5. On this scale, the VP medium is 4 and the fine is 2. The fine nib is a bit scratchy in comparison, but still smooth. The pen is tough and well-constructed. Its disadvantages are puny ink capacity, a tendency to dry-out because of the hole that makes the retractable mechanism work, and the weight and girth. The latter is a matter of personal preference. I've found the clip to be ideally placed. Others find it intrusive. So, why don't I use the VP? I guess it is that I prefer a light-weight and relatively thin pen. The VP does not have a place in my daily life. By the time I get around to using it, the thing has dried up. So it sits in my pen drawer. What you have in mind is frequent use for a variety of purposes. If you are comfortable with the dimensions, the VP would be a good choice.

Edited by prf5

Than you for all your experiences, many different points of view. It seems to me that I am still unconvinced that it is the right next one for me; I can still do all of my writing with any of the pens I have but at the expense of loosing or dropping the caps. My obsession is to experience the ease of writing with the push button effect on a fountain pen.

Also, I wanted a high probability liking it, no final judgement on that. I can live with a long push button, but not an extra fine and dry nib for daily use, nor and extra wide.

If any of you have used a Penmanship, would that be similar to the VP F? That wouldn't work for me. I also have a 78G and Prera with F nibs which I don't use for writing because they are too fine. I use them for drawing only.

I can write all day long with a Namiki Falcon F , or a Custom Heritage F.This latter has is a very wet stoke while the Namiki is drier; Namiki and Heritage using the same Noodler's black. Those two are my writing nibs, along with a Waterman's 513 with any of different brand inks.

On the other side of the equation I found the Metropolitan M too wet and wide for writing so I turned it into a drawing pen by placing a Penmanship nib in it. so far so good. I am leaning towards Medium.

Edited by Oldtimer

Love the pen, less so the nibs.

I started with a M, and found it broader than I wanted. Over time I started liking broader nibs and the medium was good for me, but only for my cursive writing. I print at work when making lists, and the M I have doesn't like printing apparently. Makes my handwriting look like an Alzheimer's patient. So I ordered a fine, from nibs.com, where they tweak the nib to my liking. The F arrives and I hate it, even with Pilot ink. Far too fine, scratchy and dry. I polished the nib myself and increased the flow, but I'm still not happy with it.

My advice, get the pen with M nib. You will LOVE the pen. If the point is too wide after you adjust to it, you can have it ground finer for $30 and a week or so wait.

I enjoy MB 146 pens, Sailor, Pilot and Platinum pens as well. I have a strong attraction to dark red and muted green ink, colors I dislike for everything but FP ink. I also enjoy practicing my handwriting and attempting to improve it. I love the feel of quality paper under a gold nib.

My Penmanship has an EF nib & I like it. Seems to me to be the same as the EF nib I got for my VP. If you can go to a shop or a show & try them out. Maybe buy used or borrow one to see if you like it. Good luck.

Love the pen, less so the nibs.I started with a M, and found it broader than I wanted. Over time I started liking broader nibs and the medium was good for me, but only for my cursive writing. I print at work when making lists, and the M I have doesn't like printing apparently. Makes my handwriting look like an Alzheimer's patient. So I ordered a fine, from nibs.com, where they tweak the nib to my liking. The F arrives and I hate it, even with Pilot ink. Far too fine, scratchy and dry. I polished the nib myself and increased the flow, but I'm still not happy with it.My advice, get the pen with M nib. You will LOVE the pen. If the point is too wide after you adjust to it, you can have it ground finer for $30 and a week or so wait.

th

This seems to be the best alternative... since I can always make the nib thinner, but not wider...so, Medium it is! I really want the ball point experience on a FP and not having to use both hands to open it. Maybe is just curiosity and not need, but what caan I do__

Now guys. Matte or shiny_ He,he.. This is Pilot VP Thu-Fri for me!

PS:There is only F,M,B,right? No stubs?

Edited by Oldtimer

There are many nibmeisters who will grind you a capless nib to whatever you want. Check Richard Binder, Mike Masuyama or others.

There is a medium-fine capless nib, I believe Japan market. Check out the third nib from the top and click on the pic for more info:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-4Jwg1QCgy8k/Tar6jX_otxI/AAAAAAAABpY/BHPMDhUTZCI/s1600/IMG_0381-blog-WM.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2752/4371168844_35ba5fb338.jpg

Danitrio Fellow, Nakaya Nutter, Sailor Sailor (ret), Visconti Venerator, Montegrappa Molester (in training), ConwayStewart Champion & Diplomat #77

After doing some research, it appears that the FM nib is only available on the Black/Gold version of the Vanishing Point.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pilot-NAMIKI-Vanishing-Point-Capless-BK-18kt-FM-Fine-Medium-nib-fountain-pen-/131413672949?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e98dd83f5

The eBay and Engeika's shop only show that particular VP as having the FM nib as an option.

Alternately, it appears you can get it from Rakuten on several similar colors. http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/voice/item/fc-15srgy/?s-id=borderless_browsehist_en

However, I have no experience with Rakuten and the reliability of its sellers.

round-letter-exc.png

I wondered why I wasn't using my VP and fired it up with a Pilot blue-black cartridge. I tried the medium nib first and found it too broad -- which I recall is why I bought the fine replacement nib. The fine writes smoothly and the retracting mechanism works flawlessly. In short, it did not take long for me to recall why I had bought the VP in the first place. Some people are put off by the positioning of the clip. I'm with those who think it is placed ideally. You can buy a VP without a clip, but I think the clip is integral to the pen's convenience, which overall is its greatest drawing card. But I quickly recalled that I haven't been using the VP because of its balance. Most of the weight is forward, toward the nib. The VP handles its weight and girth surprisingly well, but the weight distribution doesn't work for me. Oh well.

There are many nibmeisters who will grind you a capless nib to whatever you want. Check Richard Binder, Mike Masuyama or others.

There is a medium-fine capless nib, I believe Japan market. Check out the third nib from the top and click on the pic for more info:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-4Jwg1QCgy8k/Tar6jX_otxI/AAAAAAAABpY/BHPMDhUTZCI/s1600/IMG_0381-blog-WM.jpg

Beautiful arrangement , like flowers!!!

Guess what? I ended up ordering it in M and still kept reading FPN and found out about the decimo. I had overlooked the weight and "fatness" of the VP for no better comparison. Till the Decimo appeared mentioned here as almost the same in design but lighter. I went, in a millisecond, from north to south! I ordered the F Decimo and cancelled the M VP! Can you believe that?

You must guess by now that I am a woman , and have definitely the right to change my opinions at the turn of a dime. So I did. Of course, If I don't like it, I still plan to order the M VP, matte, and have two. Probably ground to a STUB? Yeah, why not! Today is the ninth and i hope to get it by the 12th... Comments pending! I think that what I like the most is the excitement of researching and buying. Those credit cards!

PS: And I am still in the brink of canceling because... It's an old model! What say you?

Edited by Oldtimer

And then I canceled the decimo. Cannot make Up my mind. Will wait till next month and order both decimo and vp in M and ground one to a nice italic. Is that the tight terminology? Best seller nibs.com since they can do the customization for a price.