Onoto, The Way Forward?

Matlock

I was always struck by how fine the Onoto product was, and how seriously Alistair and David took customer care and quality control. It will be a shame if it shuffles from this earth as it was one of the few resurected brands that truly produced magnificent products.

Too many pens; too little writing.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alc3261

• kazoolaw

• billf

• Matlock

An update on the web of WriteHere shows now:

"ONOTO PENS HAS CEASED TAKING ORDERS!

Unfortunately, the fine British pen company Onoto are not taking any new orders at this time."

Let us wait and see...

I have a sick feeling in my stomach.....this is a $1k pen.

I might need to see if I can find someone in the US to fix my issue.

Any thoughts as to who might be the best for this? Not a nib meister but someone that knows how to repair issues like this.

the Danitrio Fellowship

Any thoughts as to who might be the best for this? Not a nib meister but someone that knows how to repair issues like this.

I suggest you contact David - see the link in the 1st post.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pinks-bottle_200x159.jpg

My Pen Wraps are for sale in my Etsy shop

I suggest you contact David - see the link in the 1st post.

I might do that, but I worked with David and Alastair initially and the first pass didn't prove successful (although I do think they were engaged in fixing the problem). I already have an Arco Brown Omas Milord that has been in Italy (I hope) for 4 months.

This sending high dollar pens across the pond and hoping for a good outcome is wearing me out.

the Danitrio Fellowship

I would suggest the people at nibs.com. I think their expertise extends beyond nib customization and if they cannot address your issue, I suspect they could direct you to someone who can.

Actually, after I posted that I thought of Fountain Pen Hospital. I know that they do repairs and will do an evaluation and estimate for your approval before embarking on a repair.

Edited by billf

Try Ron Zorn. He seems able to fix anything.

(And I had hoped to save enough to buy a new Onoto. They seemed to have done everything the right way)

Edited by welch

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

Try Ron Zorn. He seems able to fix anything.

Billf, Welch, all good ideas. Thanks. I have not had it working in the year and a half I have had it so I will sit tight for a little while and decide on a course of action.

the Danitrio Fellowship

Does Onoto have breather holes?

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

And I've nearly finished saving for a plain or chased black Magna Classic too. Now neither version appears on the Onoto website - only the hyper-expensive gold and silver versions.

Rats..........just when you think you can score with a tap-in, someone tackles you from behind. :angry:

Can I suggest you consider contacting Andy's Pens (http://www.andys-pens.co.uk/magnaclassic.shtml) to see if they have any in stock.

Regards,

Richard.

The Magna Classics do not have breather holes.

Regards,

Richard.

That explains it.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Can I suggest you consider contacting Andy's Pens (http://www.andys-pens.co.uk/magnaclassic.shtml) to see if they have any in stock.

Regards,

Richard.

I can answer that as I asked him yesterday!!

He has a Black one, no fine nibs.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pinks-bottle_200x159.jpg

My Pen Wraps are for sale in my Etsy shop

It looks as if Onoto is heading the same way as Conway Stewart - not good news at all. I felt something was odd a few months ago when I placed a bespoke order for a very expensive pen which took an inordinate amount of time. I could be wrong, but I suspect that the disagreement with James Boddy is probably to do with the nature of the pens offered, with Boddy demanding a strictly high-end profile for the company. I think David and Alistair were probably pushing for a mid market, more mainstream profile. Anyway, all we can do is wait and see - it's pointless speculating.

LOL - so after a highly speculative posting on your part you finish by saying "it's pointless speculating" :D

LOL - so after a highly speculative posting on your part you finish by saying "it's pointless speculating" :D

Haha good point :)

I should have thought that Onoto Chairman James Boddy would have issued a statement on the Onoto website to explain what has happened and how Onoto will move forward following the departure of two of his management team. He needs to move quickly and positively if he wishes to maintain the goodwill and confidence in Onoto that has been built up by both David and Alastair.

Edited by DM48