Onoto, The Way Forward?

Matlock

Received today from Onoto.

2 February 2015

Dear Peter

Just a brief note to let you know that both Alastair and I have stepped down from the management of Onoto with effect from 31st January 2015 and that all day-to-day management will now be handled by the Chairman, James Boddy. Alastair remains a shareholder in the business.

It’s been a long and rewarding journey since I first became involved with Onoto in 2004 (Alastair joined in 2007) and we are both very proud of what we have achieved in growing the business from zero to the current level, even with very restricted resources. Sadly, a difference of opinion with James on the way forward has led to our decision to step aside.

I’d like to thank you personally for your terrific support for Onoto over the years and hope it will continue.

As you can imagine, it’s been a tough decision to walk away from a brand we are passionate about and have spent thousands of hours nurturing. But change is inevitable in any business – and Onoto is no different. We both wish James all the best and sincerely hope that Onoto continues to create and manufacture an ever-expanding range of top quality fountain pens and maintain the high level of personal service.

For your information, Alastair and I will continue our involvement in the pen business with a new venture called ‘Bespoke British Pens’.

As the name suggests it will focus on designing and manufacturing bespoke pens mainly for the corporate market. In addition, having acquired a large volume of Conway Stewart components from the Administrators last year, we have started selling these direct from the BBP website (www.bespokebritishpens.co.uk) and will also support young pen designers like Jack Row.

We have a small number of new pens in the pipeline including a reproduction of a 1907 silver overlay pen which is stunning.

If you’d like to be kept informed about new issues from Bespoke British Pens and other news, we'd be very happy if you stayed in touch by signing up for our newsletter, ‘Manuscript’, on the BBP Home page.

Best regards

http://img-ak.verticalresponse.com/media/d/c/7/dc77ebe62c/fb3ced9e6c/9e6da21eb8/library/dave-sig.jpg

David Cooper

Peter

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alc3261

• kazoolaw

• billf

• Matlock

Hmmm. The resignations came about due to disagreement with the CEO over the way forward. So, what was the disagreement about? It's all a bit fuzzy. And what about this new 'Bespoke British Pens' website? Is this just a retail site or the beginnings of a new brand?

received this one too today. From the BBP site, I gather they are about to revive Conway Stewart having purchased some manufacturing stock and apparently the right to use the brandname. I am curious where Onoto will go if there is disagreement in this department. On the BBP site are also some Onoto's and Jack Row but a relatively new name like Worcester is still missing. It will be interesting to see but disagreement in such a complicated market for a few small brands with a big tradition is not smart.

These are interesting time as the Chinese say, speaking of which...

What worries me is that the quick responses to customers seem to have been due to David. This has been my experience and seemed to show in the comments from others. I wonder if David's departure means that Onoto's customer service will slip.

Well I had a look at the site out of interest only - it's 100/1 against that I would ever buy any modern pen, and I have to say that despite the craftsmanship evident, I wouldn't be seen dead with one of Mr Row's productions - at least based on what is shown on the site.

It all looks a bit "gold bath-taps" to me.

I'll stay with my ancient Onotos thank you, and if I win the lottery, then I shall seek out a Mammoth!

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

I have an Onoto Heritage that needs repair, and I had been working with David and Alastair on this. Now I am concerned.

Very concerned....

the Danitrio Fellowship

I have an Onoto Heritage that needs repair, and I had been working with David and Alastair on this. Now I am concerned.

Very concerned....

Out of interest, what was wrong with it? (Mine won't really write.)

Too many pens; too little writing.

Time will tell, but goodness, David and Alastair were Onoto to us customers. Oh dear, I have a sinking feeling ...

Had same email and have joined the new website. David & Alastair were the reasons I have bought 4 of the new incarnation of Onoto and have received superb service in a friendly and timely way. I hope their new venture is a huge success.

Out of interest, what was wrong with it? (Mine won't really write.)

Mine writes wonderfully (the nib is a fine stub by Richard Binder), but it leaks out of the section. It made one trip to GB and they returned it saying they had tested and it was fine. The day after I got it back it started the same thing. I believe the process of opening and closing the shut off valve is what exacerbates the problem. I had sent it to Binder right after I purchased it, but I don't think he spent any time with it. I think I will truly love this pen if I can just stop the leaking.

At $45 cost per trip, this is getting to be a pain.

Edited by Doug C

the Danitrio Fellowship

Mine writes wonderfully (the nib is a fine stub by Richard Binder), but it leaks out of the section. It made one trip to GB and they returned it saying they had tested and it was fine. The day after I got it back it started the same thing. I believe the process of opening and closing the shut off valve is what exacerbates the problem. I had sent it to Binder right after I purchased it, but I don't think he spent any time with it. I think I will truly love this pen if I can just stop the leaking.

At $45 cost per trip, this is getting to be a pain.

I have the leaking section thing too. It also just doesn't write - there's always an air pocket that blocks ink to the feed. A great disappointment...

Too many pens; too little writing.

And I've nearly finished saving for a plain or chased black Magna Classic too. Now neither version appears on the Onoto website - only the hyper-expensive gold and silver versions.

Rats..........just when you think you can score with a tap-in, someone tackles you from behind. :angry:

Yesterday is history.

Tomorrow is a mystery.

Today is a gift.

That's why it's called the present

And I've nearly finished saving for a plain or chased black Magna Classic too. Now neither version appears on the Onoto website - only the hyper-expensive gold and silver versions.

Rats..........just when you think you can score with a tap-in, someone tackles you from behind. :angry:

Neither the Churchill Pinstripe or Charles Dickens range....

" The Onoto Pen Company Ltd", which was incorporated in 1999, is late filing its accounts which were due on 31st December. That's not necessarily a sign of anything particular but it isn't a good sign.

Onoto England Ltd (with the same registered office) was formed on 3rd October 2014.

Something may be going on and I'm put in mind of Dumbledore's pet bird.

If you look, the Onoto web site is still there, but it looks weird. In the luxury pens list there are blank spaces and some inconsistencies in counts of number of units in a range. I fear the ship David left may now be sinking.

It looks as if Onoto is heading the same way as Conway Stewart - not good news at all. I felt something was odd a few months ago when I placed a bespoke order for a very expensive pen which took an inordinate amount of time. I could be wrong, but I suspect that the disagreement with James Boddy is probably to do with the nature of the pens offered, with Boddy demanding a strictly high-end profile for the company. I think David and Alistair were probably pushing for a mid market, more mainstream profile. Anyway, all we can do is wait and see - it's pointless speculating.

Edited by Tancred