Kickstarter: Black Velvet Fountain Pen

MrThoth

A new fountain pen Kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2026090977/black-velvet-ink-fountain-and-rollerball-pen?ref=nav_search

The "hook" here seems to be the use of 3D printing as part of the manufacturing process.

(Note: I have no affiliation with this project; as yet I haven't even backed it. Just passing along the info.)

MrThoth

Scribe, Master of Mystic Lore, Young Curmudgeon

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MrThoth

• The Blue Knight

• astronautcowboy

• mike.jane

I like the design however I think they have a silly mistake in making such a large difference in the price of the early bird pens and the regular ones. I mean $30 is a lot and I'm sure those late backers will be put off by this fact.

Interesting, there's so much becoming possible with 3D printers - exciting field.

And the pen shape is a good one, as in it at least looks different to most other pens. I can't think of something with the same shape

Edited by Stu L

A new fountain pen Kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2026090977/black-velvet-ink-fountain-and-rollerball-pen?ref=nav_search

The "hook" here seems to be the use of 3D printing as part of the manufacturing process.

(Note: I have no affiliation with this project; as yet I haven't even backed it. Just passing along the info.)

Looks interesting, so glad I only write with extra fine points and they don't make them, only fine point. Wonder how the pen will hold up for someone who writes with it more than rarely? The pen's circumference looks huge.

Edited by fountainpenlady

Ea Alis Volat Propiis, per/Repletus Fontis Calamus!
She Flies by Her Own Wings, with filled Fountain Pen

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

I don't know. It looks like the section is relatively short, while the thread section is bulky and seems oversized/overbuilt -Result of the threads being printed and not cut maybe?

The step down from the barrel to the section seems much larger than necessary, or what I would deem comfortable.

The design I find interesting, but at the same time I would always ask myself, is this really the best they could come up with?

I'm really interested in these kickstarter projects, but this one is certainly not doing it for me.

I like the design however I think they have a silly mistake in making such a large difference in the price of the early bird pens and the regular ones. I mean $30 is a lot and I'm sure those late backers will be put off by this fact.

It's actually worse than that; the $70 reward level is for the black/red color only, to choose your colors as with the $39 level will cost you $89 - a $50 difference!

I echo the sentiments of those that are disappointed about the jump from early bird pricing to normal pricing. It is basically twice as high! Definitely put a sour taste in my mouth - no way I am backing!

I've seen countless numbers of these pen kickstarters, and they all seem mediocre. Everyone seems to bill itself as true writing connoisseurs, but at the end of the day, it's a one-off design that uses some Bock nib. If I wanted a cheap, quality steel nib pen, I'd get a Lamy or something. There's nothing really special about any of these companies, and I feel like most of the buyers aren't FP users; rather, they're just people who buy them for the novelty and throw them away afterwards.

I guess I just don't "get it." All of these kickstarters just have one idea, then contract their work out to other companies. You're not helping them build a brand, and you're not really getting any sort of quality control from a company that manufactures their own items. The designs are basically prototypes that you're taking a gamble on -- I mean, look at TWSBI. They've actually been building a brand identity and have been around for a few years, and people are still having problems with their pens breaking down on them. Will these kickstarters even be around for five years for warranty service?

Color me confused.

Edit: Looking at their promo video, I also saw skipping when he tried to make a curvy line. I think I'll sit this one out.

Edited by Trebor

For better or worse that has become a fairly common practice with Kickstarters. I don't care for it myself, and have never used that tactic with any of the Kickstarter projects I've run. But OTOH I can't point to a single project where I think that tactic contributed to the project's failure.

MrThoth

For better or worse that has become a fairly common practice with Kickstarters. I don't care for it myself, and have never used that tactic with any of the Kickstarter projects I've run. But OTOH I can't point to a single project where I think that tactic contributed to the project's failure.

I remember one. It was in the technology category. I don't remember much except many were just doing 1 dollar backing just to see the project because the early backers were like 200 and the normal backers was like 500. Project never gotten funded as the gap was too high. It was with the VR I think.

#Nope

It is definitely a common practice and not necessarily a bad one (although I am disappointed about all the great pricing I have missed out on, joining the fountain pen hobby rather late).

This jump is HUGE though, and he only offered 10 early birds. It's a perfect storm of angering potential backers.

Agreed -- this project didn't think the concept through. Offering a small number of "bargains," with a significant jump to the next available price, is poor marketing.

MrThoth

Considering that 3D printing is generally used for quick prototyping, not a final product, the fit and finish at the given price point is less than optimal.

Edited by Asian8640

• 1 month later...

As an update for those watching at home, this project has only a few hours to go and has only raised about 25% of its goal, so I don't think it's going to succeed.

MrThoth

As an update for those watching at home, this project has only a few hours to go and has only raised about 25% of its goal, so I don't think it's going to succeed.

It's a bit of a shame as it wasn't a bad design however I think the pricing may have been too high for something that looks like a school pen

Agreed re: pricing.

MrThoth