About The Pilot Prera-Good For Lefties?

bananaluck

Hi! I'm new to fountain pens. I actually have two fountain pens. An Ohto F-Lapa F Nib and a Kaweco Sport F Nib. I am also a lefty. I set my sights on Pilot Prera because I am really curious about the Pilot pens because I feel as if I will benefit from Asian Nibs more than from German Nibs. I like my nib to be not too broad but not too fine, as you say, on the medium side. I like my Ohto F-Lapa and even though it's "fine", it writes pretty broad and that poses a problem because I tend to smudge the ink when I write because I drag my hand across the paper. I use Diamine Ink with it, as well as with my Kaweco Sport and I absolutely love the ink because Black is so abundant and very dark, which I like. It's quick-drying, but my Ohto F-Lapa just lets out too much ink sometimes. It isn't always, but when it happens, it can be quite annoying. With my Kaweco Sport, It's irritating me to the tee. Funny enough, when I received it, it wrote so beautifully and with no effort. (Mind you, I got the Kaweco Sport F Nib last September.) But after a few days, it started not writing like it did when I first got it and I was quite disappointed and discouraged because I actually like the pen. I washed it out a million times and still the ink flow is crummy. (I use the Diamine ink in it. I used it the first time I got it and it had no problems then.) But I decided to try out a Pilot and I heard the Pilot Prera is pretty cool. One thing I really like is the size of it. It's not too big and since I have small hands, I feel like it would be a perfect fit. I also like that the ring on the middle is not over-sized and is a tiny ring. My Ohto F-Lapa has a big metal ring on the center of the pen and when I write for a long amount of time, it hurts my hands and makes it feel cramped. I like how the Prera has a simple ring that isn't gaudy or prominent.

So I was wondering if the Pilot Prera would be good for a southpaw like me? I heard some tremendous views about it and in some articles, they even say that it is good for lefties. I wanted to hear the voices of the southpaws who own this pen and see how they like it. Even if you are not a lefty, but heard that it's good for southpaws or you own the pen and you are right-handed, please do share your experience and information regarding the pen. I'm excited for your responses and I am open to anything. For instance, if you have any recommendations or suggestions, please share! :)

Thank you and hope you have a good day/evening/morning wherever you may roam!!!!! :) :) :)

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bananaluck

• RudyR

• Kuhataparunks

• Jeff_H

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a lefty (over writer), and the Prera works as well as any similar fountain pen. My hands are likely larger than yours, and for me it's a bit small, but they write very well.

I'm also a lefty and it's also a wonderful pen if you like pocket sized pens I'm not sure though but I find it to be a bit wetter than a NOSed up 78G which was quite dry

https://lefthookedwriter.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/img_0935.jpg

here's my statement

normally I'm a hooked writer... and I havent publicized about this blog yet... not sure if I'll go very serious on this one yet

Edited by Algester

I am a left handed under-writer and have two Preras (prerae? Preri?:P), both with EF (pilot penmanship) nibs.

I don't intend to flame this thread or anything, but I could let you try one of mine if you'd like, although I only have a Fine nib laying around as of currently. (I use one way more than the other.)

I could imagine how difficult it must be to pass your hand over the wet ink, but Ive conditioned myself to slant the paper about 30° to the right so I can kind of get under the letters and not next to/over them.

If I can recommend a finish, the ivory colored one goes very well with any ink except for black, in my opinion. It has an elegant, somewhat pearlescent hue to it. I really like it. The baby blue and green ones are super bright, NEON colored, and they really stand out in a room full of white notebooks and black suits. Unless you want many around you to be basically forced to gawk at your pen which seems to emit a light of its own (reactions I got for the few weeks I used the opaque blue Prera), stick with a different color.

The weight, for a left Hander, is pretty ideal. Basically every question you ask about the prera and left-handedness will point towards a positive yes. I'm quite certain you won't be disappointed with one.

TL;DR: I would say yes.

Sorry for the extensive post.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a lefty (over writer), and the Prera works as well as any similar fountain pen. My hands are likely larger than yours, and for me it's a bit small, but they write very well.

I'm a sidewriter and I think this pen will work suitably. I don't really hold the pen like you supposed to with a fountain pen, but I think it will work perfectly. And I do like how it's small because I have small hands. Thanks for your input!!

I am a left handed under-writer and have two Preras (prerae? Preri? :P), both with EF (pilot penmanship) nibs.

I don't intend to flame this thread or anything, but I could let you try one of mine if you'd like, although I only have a Fine nib laying around as of currently. (I use one way more than the other.)

I could imagine how difficult it must be to pass your hand over the wet ink, but Ive conditioned myself to slant the paper about 30° to the right so I can kind of get under the letters and not next to/over them.

If I can recommend a finish, the ivory colored one goes very well with any ink except for black, in my opinion. It has an elegant, somewhat pearlescent hue to it. I really like it. The baby blue and green ones are super bright, NEON colored, and they really stand out in a room full of white notebooks and black suits. Unless you want many around you to be basically forced to gawk at your pen which seems to emit a light of its own (reactions I got for the few weeks I used the opaque blue Prera), stick with a different color.

The weight, for a left Hander, is pretty ideal. Basically every question you ask about the prera and left-handedness will point towards a positive yes. I'm quite certain you won't be disappointed with one.

TL;DR: I would say yes.

Sorry for the extensive post.

Hm... how do you slant the paper for avoid ink on your hands? I figure many blotting paper would work, but I never actually tried it.

I really want the yellow Pilot Prera. It's so cute. I like the sky blue one as well. Hahaha. And thank you for the offer! Lol! And I can't wait to get my pen!! And it's all good, I like extensive posts!!

I'm also a lefty and it's also a wonderful pen if you like pocket sized pens I'm not sure though but I find it to be a bit wetter than a NOSed up 78G which was quite dry

https://lefthookedwriter.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/img_0935.jpg

here's my statement

normally I'm a hooked writer... and I havent publicized about this blog yet... not sure if I'll go very serious on this one yet

Thank you so much!!!! I checked out your website and it was really informative and helpful!! I'm really pleased indeed! I really want to get it!! :)

Lefty here. I have a Prera that i consider one of my best writers. Not only does it have an excellent fine nib but I can swap it with a 1.1 italic that came with a Pilot Plumix. Everyone that have given it a try have been impressed by how well both nibs write. I'm and underwriter and have no problem with smearing ink.But then again, most of the inks I have do dry fairly fast, even here in the Great Northwest.

What Would The Flying Spaghetti Monster Do?

Another thing that will help with consistent ink flow from your pen is pressure, or the lack there of. Consistent pressure will keep ink flow consistent. I came from ballpoint pens 8 months ago, and when I first started boy did I press too hard. I thought all of my inks were too dark. As time went on, I learned to use less pressure and I started to see shading in my ink.

Now I tend to write with much less pressure, and my color is more consistent as a result. I catch myself with too much pressure occasionally when I notice much darker words. You may be using varying pressure without realizing it. I know I was. Even still, regardless of which ink, which pen or how little pressure I use, my wife's handwriting is ALWAYS lighter than mine. I can hold the pen with two fingers and pressure so light I can hardly control the nib, I still can't get the color as light as she does.

We all have our own distinct style and innate pressure. Perhaps concentrating on that will help you ink color be more consistent with your one pen. Good luck.

Edited by Jeff_H

I enjoy MB 146 pens, Sailor, Pilot and Platinum pens as well. I have a strong attraction to dark red and muted green ink, colors I dislike for everything but FP ink. I also enjoy practicing my handwriting and attempting to improve it. I love the feel of quality paper under a gold nib.