I've A Journal Cover Sized For Moleskine Classic Large; Seeking Fp-Friendly Alternative

Blaine

I'm pretty sure I'm out of luck here, but maybe one of you fine folks can help. Moleskine's journals are okay, but they aren't exactly known for their paper quality.

I have a journal cover sized to fit a Moleskine Classic Large journal, which is 13 x 21cm. I've actually tried a Leuchtturm large softcover journal (14.5 x 21cm) of mine, but it's a little too wide to fit. Rhodia doesn't seem to have an equivalent, other than the Webnotebooks, which are too thick to fit. Maruman, Clairefontaine, etc. journals/inserts also seem to be too wide, if they have equivalents at all. Midori-style stapled inserts don't really fit well at all, even if their dimensions are correct.

At this point, I'm seriously considering slicing 1.5cm off a Leuchtturm journal with a scroll saw just to get some decent paper into that journal cover.

Perhaps someone who's much more familiar with paper/journal manufacturers can offer an alternative?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Miz Black Crow

• Blaine

• DonLeone

Top Posters In This Topic

I will always always always recommend a Markings by C.R. Gibson journal. They're $10 at Staples for 240 pages lined (lined only), very FP friendly, and have the exact measurements of a Moleskine Large Classic. (They may be slightly thicker).

Happy customer. I buy them in batches on sale for $5 apiece, which is kind of a miracle, but even at $10 they're quite reasonable. I wrote a review if you search for it.

Edited by Miz Black Crow

Girl Sam

(It used to be Sammi with a heart drawn over the I, but I stopped because absolutely everyone was doing it)

Awagami has notebooks sized 13 x 21.5 cm. It might fit. Not sure about the paper, never got them because the store that sells them also sells other awagami stuff. Like 100 bucks for cardboard penholders. I'm crazy but not that kind of crazy. Perhaps I'm missing something.

Paperblanks has 12 x 17 but I think they're pretty thick so the thickness might make up for the smaller size. Could always try to add a cardboard or thick paper faux-cover/first page if you don't mind the overhang.

Local arts supply store has one of those spinny moleskine stands. Half the notebooks in there are moleskine knockoffs. Never looked into them.

If all else fails you might be able to find someone who is handy with leather and can add a new spine to it to make it fit around larger notebooks.

>8[ This is a grumpy. Get it? Grumpy smiley? Huehue >8[

I tend to ramble and write wallotexts. I do that.

Thanks so much! I'll look into all of those suggestions right away. At the moment, I do have a Moleskine fitted into the cover (it's hand-sewn fabric, not leather), but the cover is part of a journal + FP gift set and I'm not too keen on coupling a FP with a Moleskine. The sizing is incredibly exact.

Ah, I just remembered as I was writing this... by total coincidence, I have a C.R. Gibson journal my sister gave to me as a gift in 2010, long before I became interested in calligraphy or fountain pens. I've dug it out and tested it with the cover, and it fits! Thank you, Miz Black Crow!

Edited by Blaine

Glad the Gibson fits! I really enjoy them as journals, they have more pages at half the price (1/4 when they're on sale), and have actual leather in their covers. Keep it classy, Gibson! :)

May you use your journal and its cover in good health. Could we perchance see a photo of the cover you have and learn some more about it?

Girl Sam

(It used to be Sammi with a heart drawn over the I, but I stopped because absolutely everyone was doing it)

Glad the Gibson fits! I really enjoy them as journals, they have more pages at half the price (1/4 when they're on sale), and have actual leather in their covers. Keep it classy, Gibson! :)

May you use your journal and its cover in good health. Could we perchance see a photo of the cover you have and learn some more about it?

I didn't realize that C.R. Gibson journals were quality. My sister probably got it from a Barnes and Noble rack and isn't into paper or pens, so I just assumed it was some random brand. I rediscovered it in a drawer in my office just a few days ago after not seeing it for years, so that really was an amazing coincidence.

I bought the cover from Etsy as part of a dream journal birthday gift set for my cousin who's really into lucid dreaming, along with a 1977 long Pilot Murex I found in excellent condition on eBay. She and I are very close. I like to give gifts I can barely bear to part with myself... already jealous, and I haven't even given the gift yet.

All the photos should still be here, and it'll give a better sense than my camera phone:

https://www.etsy.com/transaction/1000313692

Edited by Blaine

Ooooh, that's a lovely find! Enjoy it!

Girl Sam