Expensive Looking, Inexpensive Pens

dynCysgodol

Hey, just need recomendations for a good looking inexpensive pen. I have the noodlers konrad, pilot metropolitan, and a pilot knight. inexpensive as in 0-50$
Also, if its no trouble, a twist on/off cap.

Thanks!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dynCysgodol

• Bill

• tinta

• Downcelot

I'm usually going for the other way (inexpensive looking expensive pens), but take a look at lots of Chinese pens: a lot of bling and gold. Jinhao comes to mind and others.

Greetings,

Michael

My advice is to save up. Buy a moderately priced pen instead as you already have some decent budget pens in the metro and the Knight.

If you had $100 you could expand your collection and get a "best pen" that too the undiscerning eye could be worth $150 or $200. If you could I'd buy either a Parker Sonnet or Pelikan M200.

Baoer 388 (< $10), looks like a Parker Sonnet (~ $100)

But, you may have to adjust the nib to get the ink to flow well, I did.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

The Parker 45 is a rugged, dependable performer. Colored barrel and brushed,

stainless steel cap give it a conservative look. The "flighter" version has a stainless

steel barrel, as well.

Twist-off cap ? A restored Esterbrook J can be had in different colors, as well as

dressy black.

The Reform 1745 is a slender, lightweight pocket pen.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I think I'm going to follow The Blue Knights advice. Right now its between the Parker Sonnet and the Vanishing Point. Any suggestions?

In 2006 I posted about an impromptu experiment I did by laying out 32 fountain pens varying in cost from $1.50 to $500 USD and had a couple of non-FP people pick out what they thought were the five most expensive and five most inexpensive pens. They did pretty good on the cheap pens (except for including Pelikan 200s). They did seem to think that metal pens were more expensive than "plastic" (which actually included ebonite and celluloid). Not very scientific, but it was a bit of fun insight into how folks might perceive the value of FPs.

On a more practical level, if you can stop by a pen store before you become too familiar with the brands, you might be surprised at what catches your eye. Or simply browse through threads and photos on the forum, or even online stores, and look at the pens before you look at the prices and features. A few months from now you may be as jaded or opinionated as the rest of us grizzled veterans ;-)

Edited by Bill

I'm partial to the VP.

I would not call a Pilot VP inexpensive.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

Ah,... but any of the "raden" finished VPs look drop-dead gorgeous & are even (at least for me) expensive.

A black Pilot G78 can look more expensive than it is & comes with a range of excellent mono-line or italic nibs, under your 50 dollar limit.

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

My cheap but mistaken for very expensive pen is the Kaigelu 316, which I love. Nice heft, surprisingly well made and great nib. A great pen for work because I am happy to let colleagues try it out and should it ever go missing, I can replace it for $20

The Levenger True Writer pens range from about $59-$99 and many look more expensive than that. I have the Silver Anniversary. Gun metal finish, brass barrell, screw on cap. The design is reminiscent of an Esterbrook - only larger.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

In 2006 I posted about an impromptu experiment I did by laying out 32 fountain pens varying in cost from $1.50 to $500 USD and had a couple of non-FP people pick out what they thought were the five most expensive and five most inexpensive pens. They did pretty good on the cheap pens (except for including Pelikan 200s). They did seem to think that metal pens were more expensive than "plastic" (which actually included ebonite and celluloid). Not very scientific, but it was a bit of fun insight into how folks might perceive the value of FPs.

On a more practical level, if you can stop by a pen store before you become too familiar with the brands, you might be surprised at what catches your eye. Or simply browse through threads and photos on the forum, or even online stores, and look at the pens before you look at the prices and features. A few months from now you may be as jaded or opinionated as the rest of us grizzled veterans ;-)

I don't suppose you still have those results around? I would be very curious to see what was picked and chosen. You are right in that once you "know" the telltale signs of a brand it alters your price-guide in your head - people generally assume my Cross Bailey is more money than my Pelikan M205.

Well, maybe Baoer 388 under 10$, but you can get a Sonnet around 100$ and well, Sonnet will outshine the Chinese copies, specially if you like me got a total junk, instead of a working one. I would suggest, to save a bit, and save yourself some chance for a 50% bittersweet or even worst experience.

I just bought a Delta Unica Goulet Limited Edition. I have to say the shimmering acrylic material, together with the pale gold hardware makes the pen look like it costs much more. And the nib writes beautifully. It's slightly above the $50 price range at $79.