• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tessy Moon

• jasonchickerson

• amberleadavis

• Davros

I had forgotten until now that I actually have a sample of Sky High from Dav (ink by the ml) that I still haven't tried!

I want to compare how close Sky High & Souten are. I will try to get a comparison in the next week or two up here to show you whatever I find! :)

Edited for spelling error. oops!

Edited by Tessy Moon

Tessy Moon

My thoughts are filled with beautiful words for the King, and I will use my voice as a writer would use pen and ink. Psalm 45:1

I had forgotten until now that I actually have a sample of Sky High from Dav (ink by the ml) that I still haven't tried!

I want to compare how close Sky Hugh & Souten are. I will try to get a comparison in the next week or two up here to show you whatever I find! :)

You forgot you had an ink! :D

Mine arrived today - it's a beautiful, beautiful colour

It does make me wish I'd bought this ink when we did our group buy.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

You forgot you had an ink! :D

Mine arrived today - it's a beautiful, beautiful colour

If I took a picture of my drawer full of ink samples it would be shameful. I can hardly close the drawer, it is so overflowing. I easily lose track now of how many ink samples I have. I actually have several now that I have yet to test out because I just have too many and not enough time. I will get to them eventually, but I have had to slow down my massive intake of ink for awhile. Limiting myself requires a lot of self control though because there are endless choices of wonderful inks out in the world. ;)

I agree, Souten is a beautiful blue!

Tessy Moon

My thoughts are filled with beautiful words for the King, and I will use my voice as a writer would use pen and ink. Psalm 45:1

It does make me wish I'd bought this ink when we did our group buy.

Do you want me to send you a 5ml sample?

Tessy Moon

If anyone wants to get a bottle here are two options: Amazon & Jet Pens

http://www.amazon.com/Sailor-13-1005-205-Ink-Bottle-Souten/dp/B00K56041E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428613514&sr=8-1&keywords=sailor+souten

I have not ordered from this seller on Amazon, so I can not speak to their service.

http://www.jetpens.com/Sailor-Fountain-Pen-Jentle-Ink-50-ml-Four-Seasons-Souten-Azure-Sky-Blue/pd/12272

I can highly recommend Jet Pens. Free shipping on every order over $25. Great service! Every order is perfectly packed and arrives super fast!

Tessy Moon

Do you want me to send you a 5ml sample?

I'm going to wait until I use some of the samples I haven't used yet. :) Thank you! BTW, I'm sending you a letter for CRV.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I'm going to wait until I use some of the samples I haven't used yet. :) Thank you! BTW, I'm sending you a letter for CRV.

Ok! Just let me know if you want one later ;)

And yay! I have a CRV for you too I just haven't sent it yet. :)

Tessy Moon

I want to compare how close Sky High & Souten are. I will try to get a comparison in the next week or two up here to show you whatever I find! :)

Edited for spelling error. oops!

When you get a chance, can we get a chromatography comparison of these two inks? Pretty please? I have just received a bottle of Souten (which I'm liking even though this blue is not usually in my range of likes), but I have never seen Sky High.

If there's any differences between these inks, they're not immediately obvious from chromatography. I did both alcohol and water as solvents, and got similar results. (The alcohol is gone, I'm afraid: this is the water.) Do note that I don't have an ideal chromatography setup - it's not an enclosed jar, just an open container. I do try to humidify the air before chromatography begins, but the normal humidity here is pretty much nil. So I'm not easily able to let the chromatography go as long as it really ought to, where it separates out into clear bands. And a non-polar solvent might show some difference in very minor dyes. So I don't think this clinches it, but I feel comfortable saying that the major dye components are the same, and present in about the same quantities.

The scanner exaggerates the difference in quantity of the lowest blue and highest blue bands; in real life, they're really not distinguishable.

fpn_1428776301__souten_and_sky_high_chro

Edited by Davros

Nice, thank you!

If there's any differences between these inks, they're not immediately obvious from chromatography. I did both alcohol and water as solvents, and got similar results. (The alcohol is gone, I'm afraid: this is the water.) Do note that I don't have an ideal chromatography setup - it's not an enclosed jar, just an open container. I do try to humidify the air before chromatography begins, but the normal humidity here is pretty much nil. So I'm not easily able to let the chromatography go as long as it really ought to, where it separates out into clear bands. And a non-polar solvent might show some difference in very minor dyes. So I don't think this clinches it, but I feel comfortable saying that the major dye components are the same, and present in about the same quantities.

The scanner exaggerates the difference in quantity of the lowest blue and highest blue bands; in real life, they're really not distinguishable.

fpn_1428776301__souten_and_sky_high_chro

Thanks so much for this.