If You Could Only Have 1. 1 P-51 That Is...

OcalaFlGuy

You can have *Any* P-51 you want. As long as it's one of these.  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Assume each example is NOS or nearly so. If you wouldn't mind, list your nib choice for your pen choice in the thread. Maybe even your order of preference there too?

• Plum Aero, Gold filled or Lustraloy cap of your choice
    • U.S.A. Flighter
    • 1st year, Cedar Blue or India Black, your choice. Smooth Silver cap, Aluminum jewels
    • Bloody Brit Burgundy Aero, Rolled Silver-GT cap
    • Midnight Blue Aero, Lustraloy, GT cap

More precisely, one of These 5 P-51's.

They may not be Your favorites, but they Are mine and I'm curious.

If you wouldn't mind, list your order of preference for me. Also whatever nib you'd put in your poll choice.

Me, I'd go with a .55 mm Masuyama rounded CI, 6.5 wetness in a 1st year, Cedar Blue please with a smooth Silver cap with Aluminum jewels thank you very much.

My order of preference would be; 1st year, Plummer,-Lustraloy w/GT, Midnight Blue Aero Lustraloy-GT, BBB tie, Flighter.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OcalaFlGuy

• Matlock

• SockAddict

• mitto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Um, I'll play, only as long as you remember I don't know what I'm talking about.

First preference: Whichever color looks least like black, tied with the Fligher. From there, proceed through the colors as they look more black. Why? Black pens are boring.

Nib: either EF or a fine CI, slightly dry.

Rest assured.

Knowing what you are talking about Is Not any "requirement" to post here. ;)

You Know what You like, that's what Really matters.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

I selected the single jewel Nassau Green pen with the Watermelon cap and a factory stub.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Well, I guess I chose the plum because you have shown so many nice pictures of them here, Bruce, but if I could have free reign in my choice I'd keep the '48 vac demo with a medium nib my father and stepmother gave me for my birthday this year. It came with a Lustraloy cap but once in a while it looks nice with the rolled gold cap from my '47 cordovan vac with a fine (xf?) nib.

Grace and Peace are already yours because God is the Creator of all of life and Jesus Christ the Redeemer of each and every life.

Flighter, because I don't have one. And while we are dealing in fantasies, I'd like it to have a stock 1.3 stub or ltalic nib.

Much Love--Virginia

Midnight Blue, Burgundy, Cedar Blue, Plum, Flighter. I'm playing around with a 1mm stub I just got from Greg Minuskin, so I'd probably go with that.

Gosh, that is a tricky choice.

I have a Midnight Blue aero, though it does not have a GT cap, so I would choose that one with a small CI grind, or an oblique grind.

Joint first would be the Cedar Blue, similar nib.

The rest have zero appeal to me. In an ideal world I would jettison the two aeros (midnight blue and burgundy, both boring nibs) I have and pursue just one 51 that I could love, and that would most likely be a Cedar Blue Demi with a Sterling cap and an interesting grind on the nib. Pipe-dream really.

Edited by Cardboard_Tube

I have chosen 1st year Cedar Blue and India Black as I have both (the Black being a demonstrator). My second choice would be the BBB Aero Rolled Silver-GT Cap as I have one (but in Black). Fine nib being my preference.

Peter

I've voted for the BBB + Silver cap, though that isn't really my favourite. My dream P51 is one I have, a BBB + Custom cap + English medium-broad ball nib. Gorgeous. In fact it's so nice I rarely use it, to prevent damage to it.. Bit silly really, given the bulletproofness of the P51.

Second to the BBB is my 1.1CI P51. Don't care one iota what colour the pen is with that nib!

fpn_1409816898__p51_itallic_nib_2.jpg

fpn_1409816836__p51_itallic_nib_1.jpg

Regards,

Richard.

I would like to go for the first choice with gold filled cap and broad nib. I like the broad nib on all the first rated fountain pens of mine. Would , however , not mind F nibs on my Japanese pens and M nibs on my current model Parker and Sheaffer pens. having said that I wouldn't let slip any of the Parker 51 off my hands regardless of the finish and the nib size. My greed for the P 51 is limitless.

Khan M. Ilyas

Me, I'd go with a .55 mm Masuyama rounded CI, 6.5 wetness in a 1st year, Cedar Blue please with a smooth Silver cap with Aluminum jewels thank you very much.

Very similar to me. Cedar Blue Vac (always vac, durability be damned). Happy with Lustraloy or Silver cap, 7 on the wetness scale, 0.8mm Cursive Italic.

I have the pen, just need to arrange for someone to grind it.

Bruce knows my answer... :)

Plum Demi with a Lustraloy cap with a gold clip.

My second favorite color is Burgundy and then I think Midnight Blue...or maybe Forest Green, or maybe... well that's why I got one of each Demi...LOL

Octatonic

Rest assured.

Knowing what you are talking about Is Not any "requirement" to post here. ;)

You Know what You like, that's what Really matters.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

So true.

I prefer the midnight blue aerometric with the GT cap, if GT means gold trim (clip). I already have one of these with a fine nib. It is my third favorite pen, Lustraloy midnight blue aero with fine nib, owned 45 years and midnight blue aero with Minuskin stub being one and two.

Of your list,

midnight blue aero with GT cap,

Flighter,

plum aero,

bloody brit burgundy aero and

first year vac 51.

I like midnight blue best, with cedar blue being next. I have one of the cedar blues, fine nib, GT lustraloy cap. Annoying tendency to need resacs.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Bruce would have to stop by to help me choose on which P51 set I should keep :lticaptd: :lticaptd:

as I have a few too many [ Yeah Right ]

My second favorite color is Burgundy and then I think Midnight Blue...or maybe Forest Green, or maybe... well that's why I got one of each Demi...LOL

Why yes, yes I do.

As you and I have discussed, I generally do not sell my own personal pens. Period. I've sold maybe 2 and those were to really good friends. Me selling a Plummer of mine would generally be unthinkable.

There are times though I HAVE to make an exception.

You have been a nice pen friend. I KNEW how bad you really wanted that Demi Plummer. If there was any doubt, and there wasn't,

you've more than proved the point with your Demi collection.

No matter that it was a Plummer, and I Wanted it. You NEEDED it.

It isn't often you can sell someone a pen you KNOW will be their favorite pen.

I know I would have regretted NOT selling it to you.

I prefer the midnight blue aerometric with the GT cap, if GT means gold trim (clip). I already have one of these with a fine nib. It is my third favorite pen, Lustraloy midnight blue aero with fine nib, owned 45 years and midnight blue aero with Minuskin stub being one and two.

Here is mine.

PHOTO_20140916_134635.jpg

I've had it about 5 years now. I looked for one, the gold trim being the limiting issue, for about 2 years before I gave in and had

Bob Speer find this one for me. I paid way good money for it then but it was in exceptional shape. This isn't the orignal cap. I lost

that one. <Sobbing still> Ryan Roossnick refinished this cap. I will have to send the other pieces I have with gold trim to El Zorno to

have him do a more factory like finish for me. This one has a .6 mm Masuyama rounded CI in it.

It IS the one 51 I'd dive for in the burning house.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

I love the feel of the Flighter and prefer it to the normal colours. I also have just acquired a Burgundy with a GF cap which is among the best looking pens I have.

My answer is pretty much the same as yours (including the part about Bruce knowing it already :lol:). Except I'd probably pick Midnight Blue for second choice, since I don't have one of those; British Bloody Burgundy would be third.

I'm not a C-worder, so having First Years wouldn't be a feather in my cap -- pllus I already have 51 Vacs in both those colors now. And the Flighters just don't wow me somehow.

But if I could get a full-sized Plummer for not some huge outlay of cash (say, roughly what I paid for my Demi a couple of years ago? Sure! Of course -- that's a no-brainer.... :thumbup:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Most important is to have a nib that "writes right". My favorite is a midnight blue aero with US medium tuned by Greg Minuskin. Always have it, even when I have a different 51 in my pocket.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

Voted for the Bloody Brit Burgundy, if I had to rank?

Burgundy

Plum

Midnight Blue

Flighter

Cedar Blue Vac

Midnight and Flighter was close.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain