1644 replies to this topic

#61 TMLee

TMLee

448 crafted ... one at a time ...

• Member - Gold & Supporter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 04:10

GOSH ! what happened to my earlier pics ? Rats ... all the hard work ...

#62 TMLee

TMLee

• 2,486 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 04:31

This here is blank journal #7. My first hardcover blank journal. Most likely to be given away.

Bookblock
6 signatures. 5 folios per signature. Total 120 pages. 100gsm watermarked paper , brand called 'ZETA'. Natural white hammer embossed. Lace book marker.

Stitching
Dental floss (Oral B waxed)

Cover
Matboard , didn't have bookbinders grey board. Managed to buy some bookcloth tho...

Japanese paper - really nice paper. The raised white outlines are actualy latex/rubber material.

a closeup of the corner

the bookblock glued and bookmarker added

overall views

Edited by TMLee, 10 June 2007 - 09:25.

#63 TMLee

TMLee

• 2,486 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 09:16

This is blank journal #8. To be given away too.

100gsm watermarked paper. Hammer embossed (which is extremely smooth to FP as compared to the Conqueror laid paper)
8 signatures as requested. 5 folios per signature. 160 pages. Matching envelop
pocket
provided.
Calf leather brown. Using both sides.
Coptic stitch done with dental floss. (Oral B waxed)
Turkey motif flyleaves.

My best effort so far (I think)

Strap sewn onto the spine. This time I used 2 separate needles and threads. (dumb ...! shld be 2 needles but ONE thread) The
stitch
goes in a zigzag fashion but its not obvious since the signatures are close to
each other.

So resolve that, I decided to knot the exposed threads neatly together as is
done not
uncommonly. It looks a lot better now. You can see the 2 needles in position for the next strap.

A closer view of one strap.

All 3 straps done.

I found this cute turkey motif and used them for the flyleaves. Amazing
coincidence, the
browns of the turkey exactly match the brown leather. Here the flyleaves are cut
and glued
onto the leather covers

And then glued onto the bookblock and clamped

The straps now glued onto the covers.

A logo the recipient uses often. Its carefully cut out using a paper cutter then
a thin fire
red paper used for backgraound effect.

A closeup view of the logo

The book stays flat open bcos of the coptic stitch. A Danitrio Densho Raw
Ebonite for
scale.

a closer view

The turkey flyleaves.

The 'colophon' and pocket

Edited by TMLee, 12 June 2007 - 01:55.

#64 meanwhile

meanwhile

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,831 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 12:06

TM -

This is really nice work!

The point about the Coptic stitch letting the book stay flay while open is interesting. But why use dental floss???
- Jonathan

#65 TMLee

TMLee

• 2,486 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 07:16

QUOTE(meanwhile @ Jun 9 2007, 12:06 PM) View Post
TM -

The point about the Coptic stitch letting the book stay flay while open is interesting. But why use dental floss???

Tks Jonathan ...

well , I couldn't find the right size and color of linen thread , and I was just wondering what is readily found in any home that could be a possible substitute. Dental floss came to mind and decided to give it a try and to my surprise it works .... besides, its also waxed ! smile.gif
Its thin but flat and broad so it has some 'body' to it , compared against the linen thread I used in my other earlier journals.

I just bought some more threads , but just can't find the ones they use to stitch leather. I am just dying to find that bcos I know it will contribute greatly to the aesthetics. But its fun finding ways and means round a problem, improvising along the way.

I am also thinking abt how to do stitching and might try using a normal sewing machine .... tho I know there's a great risk there. Anyone here knows abt leather, wd appreciate yr input.

You folks here shld try it bcos many of us here have a clearcut need for FP friendly paper which somehow is not guaranteed in the many journals available for sale around us - rather ironic I find this - a journal that doesn't readily take ink ! (In fact annoying)

... its very rewarding... If I can do it , I am sure you all can too ....

Edited by TMLee, 10 June 2007 - 07:47.

#66 Ged

Ged

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 07:42

TM, just came back to this thread after awhile. I have to say, your latest effort looks amazing! Why doesn't anyone send me a gift like that instead of ties I dont wear laugh.gif

Many thanks for including some great photo's too.

#67 TMLee

TMLee

• 2,486 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 09:51

QUOTE(Ged @ Jun 10 2007, 07:42 AM) View Post
TM, just came back to this thread after awhile. I have to say, your latest effort looks amazing! Why doesn't anyone send me a gift like that instead of ties I dont wear laugh.gif

Many thanks for including some great photo's too.

Tks Ged ...
BUT .... you just gave me another idea for old ties that I too don't wear.... roflmho.gif

#68 meanwhile

meanwhile

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,831 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 13:03

QUOTE(TMLee @ Jun 10 2007, 08:16 AM) View Post
QUOTE(meanwhile @ Jun 9 2007, 12:06 PM) View Post
TM -

Tks Jonathan ...

well , I couldn't find the right size and color of linen thread , and I was just wondering what is readily found in any home that could be a possible substitute. Dental floss came to mind and decided to give it a try and to my surprise it works .... besides, its also waxed ! smile.gif
Its thin but flat and broad so it has some 'body' to it , compared against the linen thread I used in my other earlier journals.

I did a search on the web and found that floss is often included in survival kits, for repairing clothes, use as a fishing line etc. I suppose it must be quite tough to survive the strain of flossing (I wouldn't know: I use the new fangled disposeable dental picks myself.)

You folks here shld try it bcos many of us here have a clearcut need for FP friendly paper which somehow is not guaranteed in the many journals available for sale around us - rather ironic I find this - a journal that doesn't readily take ink ! (In fact annoying)

With an example like yours, I might well do! Although my local supermarket is selling really FP friendly A4 notebooks right now - cheap too, amazingly. Not nearly as attractive as your work though.

- Jonathan

#69 Tricia

Tricia

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 01:44

QUOTE(TMLee @ Jun 10 2007, 07:16 AM) View Post
I just bought some more threads , but just can't find the ones they use to stitch leather. I am just dying to find that bcos I know it will contribute greatly to the aesthetics. But its fun finding ways and means round a problem, improvising along the way.

I am also thinking abt how to do stitching and might try using a normal sewing machine .... tho I know there's a great risk there. Anyone here knows abt leather, wd appreciate yr input.

Are you talking about stitching the leather on a sewing machine? If so, you'll need a special leather needle, not a regular sewing machine needle. (They sell them at most sewing shops that have sewing machine needles, or you can easily find them online.) You might want to look at what's called button hole thread. It's much thicker than regular sewing machine thread, though it won't go through most sewing machines, except hand wound in the bobbin (which is a whole separate technique and you kind of have to be into sewing to deal with it, imo). There are many beautiful colors for hand sewing, though. Silks are especially beautiful, imo. happycloud9.gif Upholstery thread would also probably do what you want. (It's quite a bit thicker than regular thread.)

"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini

#70 TMLee

TMLee

• 2,486 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 14:37

QUOTE(Tricia @ Jun 11 2007, 01:44 AM) View Post
Are you talking about stitching the leather on a sewing machine? If so, you'll need a special leather needle, not a regular sewing machine needle. (They sell them at most sewing shops that have sewing machine needles, or you can easily find them online.) You might want to look at what's called button hole thread. It's much thicker than regular sewing machine thread, though it won't go through most sewing machines, except hand wound in the bobbin (which is a whole separate technique and you kind of have to be into sewing to deal with it, imo). There are many beautiful colors for hand sewing, though. Silks are especially beautiful, imo. happycloud9.gif Upholstery thread would also probably do what you want. (It's quite a bit thicker than regular thread.)

Hi Tricia ...
Tks for yr advice...
Found the special needle for leather to be used in sewing machines.

As for threads .... I'm lost ...! I have been visiting little shops that sell threads but they don't seem to have what I am looking for...
quite frustrating ...

Do you sew in leather? any websites I can learn from? Have u crafted any pencases?

#71 TMLee

TMLee

• 2,486 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 15:07

Dear Peter ...
I can't get my holes lined up neatly as U can see in my Journal #8. How does one do it? I know pierce from the outside of the spine ... but how do U pierce accurately it comes out dead centre inside the valley?

Attached Images

• tidy_up_stitch.jpg

#72 Tricia

Tricia

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 19:06

QUOTE(TMLee @ Jun 11 2007, 02:37 PM) View Post
As for threads .... I'm lost ...! I have been visiting little shops that sell threads but they don't seem to have what I am looking for...
quite frustrating ...

Here's a site for silk threads. (No affiliation, just a happy customer.)

Silk Things Silk Thread

Scroll to the bottom for their buttonhole thread.

There are quite a few bookbinding sites out there if you'd like to use traditional linen thread.

QUOTE(TMLee @ Jun 11 2007, 02:37 PM) View Post
Do you sew in leather? any websites I can learn from? Have u crafted any pencases?

I have sewn with leather but not lately. The more pliable the leather (e.g., lambskin) the easier it is to sew, imo. The one thing to remember with leather is that the holes do not disappear as they do in fabric if you have to rip out a seam. It's best, imo, to sew up a sample in something else first to get all the seams, etc., right, and then sew it up in the leather.

I've made a few pen cases, but they are only of fabric and of the rollup design. I've been thinking of using Ultrasuede as the lining in my next one. Have to do research on it first, though, and make sure it won't harm my pens.

I'd recommend doing a Google search for "sewing leather" - there are quite a few sites with good information that I think you could use.

Love your books. And I agree about the Coptic stitch. Very useful for journals!

Edited by Tricia, 11 June 2007 - 19:08.

"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini

#73 TMLee

TMLee

• 2,486 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 02:03

QUOTE(Tricia @ Jun 11 2007, 07:06 PM) View Post
There are quite a few bookbinding sites out there if you'd like to use traditional linen thread.

I've made a few pen cases, but they are only of fabric and of the rollup design. I've been thinking of using Ultrasuede as the lining in my next one. Have to do research on it first, though, and make sure it won't harm my pens.

I'd recommend doing a Google search for "sewing leather" - there are quite a few sites with good information that I think you could use.

From a FPNer here, I found 2 groups ... "hedeghogsforever" and "homemadebooks". They hv very interesting sample completed works there. Some really really good and very professionally done.

Wd u mind posting pics of yr pencases?

What's ultrasuede? I thot that the backside of finised leather is soft enough and won't damage the pens. Maybe I am lucky the leather I have is soft (0.8 to 1mm) ....

#74 TMLee

TMLee

• 2,486 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 02:18

This is handmade Journal #9 ...

This time I am trying out the cross link stitch which is exposed on the outside ...

Piercing the holes for the stitching on the first and last signature . Not a good idea I found out only after all is complete. Another learning experience.

Now the start of the stitch from the outside. One thread but 2 needles. Puncturing the first hole of both the 1st and last signature.

view from outside. Binder clips to make the leather stay where it should.

The crosslink stitch halfway done.

A closer view. I managed to buy linen thread. Its quite expensive. Brown in colour.

The stitch completed. The leather is not cut to size yet. I didn't have the confidence.

I also managed to buy some really interesting elastic bands.(not sure what its commonly used for) This one's grey in colour. The band is glued on the inside of the leather, The band goes thru the leather thru slits.

The elastic band as seen on the back cover.

The completed journal. Leather trimmed to correct size.

'Dynamite' flyleaves ...

Matching pocket .

100gsm natural white paper, hammer embossed.
6 signatures. 5 folios per signature.
Calf leather (1mm to 0.8mm thk) , very soft - too soft .
Dental floss for bookblock stitching. Coptic stitch. Spine not glued. No mull.
Linen (brown) thread for exposed stitching on spine.
Flyleaves 'dynamite' motif 70gsm uncoated paper(bad) glued onto white card.
Light grey elastic band on back cover.
Matching pocket.

#75 WillAdams

WillAdams

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 11:45

To line up holes in signatures I use a ``sewing cradle'' made of matboard and a sheet of transparent film (I use leftover film from when I worked at a flexography shop, but you could use paper or vellum or transparency film for overhead projectors) --- basically the cradle is a foldable ``V'' with a bottom stop --- insert the first signature, the folded transparency film (carefully marked w/ where the holes should go) and punch away. After a while one develops a collection of guides which speed up one's work.

The Japanese multi-section binding I used in my version of _The Book of Tea_ (see http://www.fountainp...showtopic=17769 ), retchoso (there should be a macron in that) suggests an interesting alternative technique, stacking all the signatures and using a chisel to make notches.

William

#76 TMLee

TMLee

• 2,486 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 02:54

QUOTE(WillAdams @ Jun 18 2007, 11:45 AM) View Post
To line up holes in signatures I use a ``sewing cradle'' made of matboard and a sheet of transparent film (I use leftover film from when I worked at a flexography shop, but you could use paper or vellum or transparency film for overhead projectors) --- basically the cradle is a foldable ``V'' with a bottom stop --- insert the first signature, the folded transparency film (carefully marked w/ where the holes should go) and punch away. After a while one develops a collection of guides which speed up one's work.

The Japanese multi-section binding I used in my version of _The Book of Tea_ (see http://www.fountainp...showtopic=17769 ), retchoso (there should be a macron in that) suggests an interesting alternative technique, stacking all the signatures and using a chisel to make notches.

William

Hi William ...
Yr teabook is nice.
About the cradle . any chance you can show a pic ?
TIA

#77 Ernst Bitterman

Ernst Bitterman

Nil Magnum Nisi Bonum

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,219 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 June 2007 - 14:40

I'll show you mine...

And some re-inforcement on the underside, since I was going through some pretty hefty signatures when I made this:

All made of cheap cheap foam-board and the aforementioned PVA white glue. Made about two dozen books last christmas with it and it's still utterly functional. MUCH better than a piercing saddle as some guide-books suggest.
Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

#78 TMLee

TMLee

• 2,486 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 12:32

Hi Ernst (?) ...
This is why I always ask for pics ... A pic is always worth a thousand words ... thumbup.gif

I have a few queries ...

How big is this DIY cradle?
How thick (no. of folios) is one of yr signature?
Won't the foam boards cave in under the force of puncturing the sewing holes?
Is there a gap at the valley?
How do you make the sewing holes? pierce with an awl or drill with a superfine drill-bit?

If you mark on the spine of the signature on the outside, how do you pierce in the cradle? Do you fold over , ie make the spine become the valley ? What is normally done?

Edited by TMLee, 21 June 2007 - 12:44.

#79 TMLee

TMLee

• 2,486 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 02:53

This is handmade journal #10. To be given away as well.

Managed to find a paper merchant who sells almost all kinds of paper. So I bought some loose sheets of 120gsm natural white paper. Plain , Some brand called 'NATURALIS' . VERY FP friendly . I believe it can take just abt any medium. Also , To my delight , I also found polyester thread - the kind they use for sewing leather. It was a very old shop but piled ceiling high selling all kinds of sewing materials. I also found mull - and different thicknesses too.

The bookblock. 6 signatures. 5 folios per signature. This time polyester thread size 20, off-white in colour. Coptic stitch. Exposed stitching.

The polyester thread, This ones' tan in colour.

The rear cover. Much like my previous journal here, I used the reverse side of th eleather. I included an elastic band now.

The flyleaves were an intersting woodgrain textured card, probably 350gsm.

a closer view of the woodgrain

The covers glued to the bookblock

This time I decided to stitch the flyleaves to the straps as well ... so the pierced holes ..

The 3 pieces of leather straps readied for stitching onto the spine. I learnt from a book that its best to use a rotary cutter on fabric, leather etc which I did and found to be absolutely true.

I designed a monogram for the intended recipient of this journal .

being cut out with a 30 degree paper cutter. I felt the lime green would be a good accent color.

The straps being sewn onto the spine. 2 needles one thread zigzag fashion. Tan polyester thread.

All 3 straps in place.

A closer view

The polyester thread I find is too slippery and it doesn't stay put. Annoying! Can anyone help out here? What am I doing wrong? I find that when I use dental floss , this wasn't such a problem. So as you can see the threads are somewhat loose. I had to use that decorative technique of tying up these exposed stitches together and it certainly saved the day.

Then the loose ends trimmed and pasted neatly along the spine

Of course the straps were all individually glued onto the covers too.

A closeup of one strap stitch

another view

The front cover

A closeup of the monogram

The rear cover

With the elastic band deployed. The band is glued between the leather cover and the binding board. It can be totally hidden out of view when its not deployed and made to sit on the inside rear flyleave.

The finished product

stays flat when opened

#80 rawin

rawin

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 18:42

This is all very interesting and impressive! I bought a Paperblanks today but I think I will have a go at this myself. Owning a unique journal with paper of choice should be a great experience.

(....and is very convenient when your spouse has limited your fountain pen acquisitions.)

#81 TMLee

TMLee

• 2,486 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 13:37

QUOTE(rawin @ Jul 21 2007, 06:42 PM) View Post
This is all very interesting and impressive! I bought a Paperblanks today but I think I will have a go at this myself. Owning a unique journal with paper of choice should be a great experience.

(....and is very convenient when your spouse has limited your fountain pen acquisitions.)

Yes , handbinding yr own journal is very satisfying... You must try it ... Come to think of it, I think there are handbookbinder courses available there in your country. You shld have a better chance of joining a bookbinding course over there than me over here where its unheard of.

If I can do it at home and self taught - thanks to internet - I am sure you can do it too ....

My exprience now so far has convinced me that 120gsm paper is ideal . It takes the blackest of black inks, and the wettest of wet writers , yet it won't bleed thru the other side.

The 110gsm or 105gsm will work too , but due to the thinness of the paper, you can see the dark ink (if you use dark inks) on the reverse page. No bleed thru but you can see the image of the dark ink.

"BookBinders" is from Netherlands I believe.

Oh ... you can make a nice journal for your wife and win her over.... ! She might review yr FP budget allowance ...

#82 TMLee

TMLee

• 2,486 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 01:29

QUOTE(Ernst Bitterman @ Jun 20 2007, 02:40 PM) View Post
I'll show you mine...

And some re-inforcement on the underside, since I was going through some pretty hefty signatures when I made this:

All made of cheap cheap foam-board and the aforementioned PVA white glue. Made about two dozen books last christmas with it and it's still utterly functional. MUCH better than a piercing saddle as some guide-books suggest.

Hi Ernst ...

made my cradle out of old desktop calendar and some 2-ply corugated cardboard.

A6 size

#83 TMLee

TMLee

• 2,486 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 07:14

This was done sometime back but I forgot to post.
This is handmade Journal #11. To be given away too.

6 signatures. 5 folios per signature. 100gsm paper.
100% linen thread by Gutterman thread. Coptic stitch.

This is the Colophon. Pocket on the inside rear page.
A6 size

This time round, a friend bought me REAL marbled paper from her trip to Italy. (it was expensive)

Another view showing the flyleaves. I added a red elastic band.

This is the view of the journal closed and fastened with the red band.

The red band can be flipped onto the inside flyleave

A close-up view of the name cut-out on the rear cover. By the way , its brown leather. Calf I think.

A view of the spine. I added addtl thread to decorate the spine and to keep it firmly close to the bookblock. 100% Brown linen thread, very thick and rough as if handmade. As you can see, the threads are twined. 2 needle thread method.

Edited by TMLee, 20 October 2007 - 07:19.

#84 Lloyd

Lloyd

Can a nib be smoothed by psychokinesis?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,514 posts
  • Location:Trapped inside of a snowglobe that is resting upon a mantel in a home in Massachusetts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 16:22

QUOTE(TMLee @ Oct 20 2007, 03:14 AM) View Post
This is handmade Journal #11. To be given away too.2011/spine.jpg[/img]

Can I be your friend?
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
Oscar Wilde

#85 nimrod

nimrod

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 17:55

Wow, these are all extremely impressive!

#86 TMLee

TMLee

• 2,486 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 01:45

QUOTE(Lloyd @ Oct 20 2007, 04:22 PM) View Post
QUOTE(TMLee @ Oct 20 2007, 03:14 AM) View Post
This is handmade Journal #11. To be given away too.2011/spine.jpg[/img]

Can I be your friend?

Ha ha ...
Of course we are all friends aren't we? smile.gif

I am now designing the next journal. This time the recipient is specifying certain features ... and boy are they challenging .... !
Wish me luck....

concept design so far ...

I haven't made a journal for myself yet , wonder what it shld look like ....

#87 TMLee

TMLee

• 2,486 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 08:49

Well , after finalizing the concept design sketches, I carried out the execution ...

BookBlock

The paper this time round was 120gsm by "NATURALIS" in Vanilla White / Matte . Bought it in sheets at a local paper merchant.
Becos the paper is thicker, I decided to reduce the number of folios per Signature so as to avoid the excessive 'fishtail' effect. You will see this more clearly in the other later pics here.
So this time there are only 4 Folios to each of the 6 Signatures. Totalling up to 96 pages only.

The bookblock already sewn

As before , the bookblock is sewn in the Coptic Stitch, allowing the book to stay open neatly. The thread was 100% Polyester filament at gauge 20 and Ivory colour. The size of the thread gives good form to the stitch.

This is when its opened between Signatures

This is when its opened in the centre of one Signature

The Bookblock was then glued along its spine, with a mull added over.

A lace ribbon page marker was added

The bookblock is now much neater I realize, compared to my earlier endeavors. The result of being more patient when piercing , ensuring the holes line up as accurately as possible. The DIY piercing cradle was used.

Name Strap

The recipient wanted her name to be done in this style and then done in such a way as to be part of a magnetic clasp.
I had to draw out to test for size and fit on my older journal #7 featured earlier. As before masking tape on a scrap of brown leather 1mm thick.

The name had to be cut out carefully. It was tedious, needing much patience. I think it took me 2 hours at a an unhurried pace.

With the masking tape removed. I used the backside of the leather - not the finished side.

The name strap was then pasted onto the Japanese flower motif paper as was specified by the recipient. The paper is very unique as described in my earlier post on Journal #7. You shld be able to see its texture in greater detail in the later closeup pics.

Excess edges trimmed off. (I think its a little too busy and distracting.)

The strap is designed to be embedded onto the cover. The cover is made of 2 pieces of card , each 1mm thick.

The strap now glued onto the rear cover. I cut small segments of sheet magnet to allow flexing. These were then glued onto the reverse side of the namestrap.

I decided to create a pull tab after realizing the namestrap was quite delicate after all the cut-outs.

Test fitting the name strap

Not bad , the magnets worked well, keeping the entire name real flat and snug up againts the receiving cover(more on this later) My guess is that this is a thicker magnet at 1.2mm instead of the usual easy to get 0.8mm you commonly see on fridge magnets.

This part of the strap needs to be adjusted to allow flex.

continued on next post ....

Edited by TMLee, 24 October 2007 - 10:02.

#88 TMLee

TMLee

• 2,486 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 08:53

Covers

Preparing the spine with the khaki bookcloth and card

The front cover had a cut-out to receive the sheet magnet that will align with the namestrap

The front and rear covers being attached carefully with the spine

Finished view on the inside

Naked covers , unclasped position

Same but now clasped

Wrapping the Covers

the recipient had already selected the Japanese flower motif. I was hesitant bcos it clashed with the namestrap already contaning the flower motif.
So I tried out other cover finishes.

This one is with a very nice Japanese red dragonfly print. 100% cotton cloth. High quality print. These were scraps of cloth sold 3 pc to a pack. Each scrap was tiny - only about A4 size. I am not sure what this kind of cloth is used for.

I like this same one but in blue. Amazing coincidence, the khaki bookcloth matched the khaki dragonflies. And the brown leather matched the khaki bookcloth.

But the client is king, and this was what she wanted. I reluctantly went ahead with this,

The covers being glued with the pink flower motif

How the skin wrapped around the namestrap was most challenging. I spent a long time figuring out, eventually succeeding. I also later added some radial cuts to allow the leather strap to flex real easy and naturally bcos the paper glued to it was causing it to behave differently - more stiffer.

I managed to wrap the skin UNDER the strap, resulting in a neater finish

The flyleaves were then glued on , giving a proper covering to the inside surfaces.

The corner folds, I believe, are crucial to the overall presentation of the journal. Here you can see the unique texture of the paper. The white outlines of each flower are raised.

... continued on next post ...

Edited by TMLee, 24 October 2007 - 10:04.

#89 TMLee

TMLee

• 2,486 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 08:55

The Finished Product

A closeup of the spine bottom. Here its opened bewtten signatures showing that the glue quantity was just right - not too little nor too much. Also the glue was spread very evenly thruout the height of the pages allowing the pages to open properly.

The corner of the journal showing the signatures at its "limit" before the fishtail effect becomes unsightly.
(propped up by the equally gaudy CS Razorshell Swisher Exclusive)

Standing up

Face down

Rear with DT Densho RE ED for size

Front with CS Razorshell Swisher Exclusive for size

The Colophon at the last page. With a pocket added.

Ink testpage. (courtesy of a very wet M620 <B> stubbed Noodlers TianAnMen)

Test page closeup. No feathering.

Reverse side. You can just barely see the image. But its not bleedthru. Its just dark ink against light coloured paper.

There are some flaws.
The bookcloth margin is not wide enough. Proportion not right.
I think the blue dragonfly combo works better.
She said she didn't like the lace ribbon marker - it didn't match.
Its missing a bookband. Where can I find book bands?

Edited by TMLee, 24 October 2007 - 09:18.

#90 nimrod

nimrod

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 12:48

Awesome! It's great that you're uploading pictures of the books that you're making. I'm starting to get inspired.