Blinded By Ink

SuperNib44

Is it possible (easy to) blind yourself with fountain pen ink? Anyone have any stories about ink in their eye? Just wondering. I fill my pens in the bathroom on the same counter as where I put in my contacts. I can't imagine how it could happen, but sometimes I think it might cause trouble some day! (Disclaimer: I don't spill ink when I fill, If I do splatter I clean it up thoroughly.)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PS104

• SuperNib44

• SockAddict

• OakIris

I imagine it would hurt having ink in your eye. If you have contacts in solution, it would be best to cover them when your are filling / flushing ink.

Some of the newer dyes are pretty nasty chemicals. But at the degree of dilution it may not cause permanent damage. Another factor is that these are water soluble and should get diluted pretty quickly by tears.

YMMV.

A lifelong FP user...

Well, I shouldn't imagine it would cause you to go blind, though, like getting anything "foreign" in your eye it would probably be a bit uncomfortable - especially if it is an ink with a PH on the acidic side. (And no doubt if it was Baystate Blue, your irises would turn blue permanently....j/k.)

I have had some spills and messes with ink, but have never gotten any in one of my eyes, can't quite imagine the circumstances in which I might do so. If you are really worried about this - and there are so many more likely things to worry about in this world, why add something else?!? - wear goggles when you are filling/cleaning your pens. Might look odd to anyone that sees you, but you will feel safe, so who cares?

Holly

Okay, I have to admit, the first time I cleaned a lever-fill pen, I was picturing the scene in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, where Indy's father shoots the Nazi in the eye with ink. :)

Okay, I have to admit, the first time I cleaned a lever-fill pen, I was picturing the scene in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, where Indy's father shoots the Nazi in the eye with ink. :)

The main reason I bought the cheap, junky old Wearever lever filler I have is because it reminded me of both that scene and the old Tom and Jerry scene where Jerry squirts Tom in the eye with ink from a lever filler. Nostalgia is a powerful thing, isn't it? :)

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I've had some major spillages but never had ink splash into my eye. I've also accidentally squirted a little PR Avocado from an ink syringe (I guess I wanted to get the air bubble out? I don't know what I was thinking.), which squirts with much more force than any filling mechanism I know of, and I've never gotten any ink in my eyes. Oh, and I wear contact lenses to boot. Never been a problem for me.

Use a little bit of caution and you should be OK :)

Here to help when I know, learn when I don't, and pass on the information to anyone I can :)

I don't suspect it would be an issue. I fill most of the time in the kitchen, simply because there is more room. Wipe things up with a Clorox (or other brand) disinfectant wipes. I also put a piece of old newspaper on the counter under ink bottles and my cleaning paraphernalia.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Accept the fact you are not Indiana Jones

Or even his father.

Then stop multi-tasking. Clean your contacts then fill your pens after you can see what you're doing

Now all you have to worry about is the gluten that's in the ink. But at least you can't go blind

Why only ink from pen manufacturers? Why not ink from ink manufacturers like Diamine? Ok you could argue they make Yard-o-led, I suppose, J Herbin?

I for one doubt that there's anything worth worrying about. Ink is pretty timid compared a lot of household stuff. Bleach, anyone? Move to the workshop / garage and it can get even worse.

Swell, one more thing for us to worry about.

:yikes: :lticaptd: :)

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Accept the fact you are not Indiana Jones

Or even his father.

Then stop multi-tasking. Clean your contacts then fill your pens after you can see what you're doing

Now all you have to worry about is the gluten that's in the ink. But at least you can't go blind

I use different sides of the counter and never do both at once. It's not the gluten, but the ragweed inks you have to be careful of!

Ink may not kill you, but I strongly do not think that it is actually beneficial to your eye.

Do not take any risks unless you know that it is worth it.

-William S. Park

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane. - Graham Greene

When I saw the thread title I thought "Like, blinded, as in can't see? Nah I bet it has something to do with there being eleventy billion ink choices"...guess my first guess was right, lol.

I've never thought about it, but I sure worry that ink could stain granite countertops. My wife would kill me!

OK. I'm concerned.

Why are you asking FPN members?

I don't recall seeing any member with an MD after their handle

Get thee to an Emergency Room and get a real medical opinion