• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• subseasniper

• Sailor Kenshin

• Charles Rice

• markleewebb

I write a lot of my short stories using fountain pen on nice paper; I find it suits my creativity and the flow of my thoughts. Along those same lines, I don't usually stick with one pen. I pick from five to ten that suit my writing mood that day and switch off between them periodically (sometimes every page). That way the pens get some exercise and I get to enjoy more of them. ;)

Dude, that is perhaps the best excuse to buy new pens! Love it.

The pen I'm using for my fiction writing is an old Sheaffer cartridge pen (the sort that were meant for school kids to destroy) rigged as an eyedropper. No perceptible fatigue (unlike typing second drafts) thanks to the pen's light weight, and I get about 20,000 words worth of writing to a fill, meaning I don't fill every time I write because my brain gets tired.

As far as paper/ink; using a cheap composition book from a dollar store and Diamine Prussian Blue, I'm getting good mileage and the quick absorbency of the cheap paper should make it a passable mode for the left-hander. The down-side it only being able to use the obverse of each leaf, but with cheeeap books it's not a serious problem and leaves a load of room for pencil notes.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

I will propose, however, that ink capacity does not matter, as stopping to refill the pen

is a good break.

Are you seriously asking ME to tell YOU which pen is comfortable in YOUR hand ?

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I will propose, however, that ink capacity does not matter, as stopping to refill the pen

is a good break.

Are you seriously asking ME to tell YOU which pen is comfortable in YOUR hand ?

Well, not you per se but, rather, I am looking for a cross section of opinion as to what pens are generally perceived to comfortable for extended writing sessions.

I use my Visconti Homo Sapiens for extended periods (all desk writing, really). It works quite well for that purpose.

Although since you say that you could write with your M200 for extended periods of time, why change it? It takes time to get used to a pen, and if you end up with a pen that you don't like, you have to get through the trouble of selling it.

Ink I'd recommend something like Noodler's, or whatever you're already using. I would get the TWSBI ink bottle or a similar inkwell, since you'll be filling quite often, if you're really writing that much.

Paper I would recommend going to Staples and getting a carton of premium multipurpose paper for under 100$. Compared to Rhodia,Clairefontaine, et al, the paper is of a similar quality and is much more economical. Since you are going to be doing massive amounts of writing, the pen is just the tool and a lot of the nuances (shading, sheen) do not quite matter as much, and you'll get used to that.

Also I'd keep a backup pen (optional) and mechanical pencil, full of lead, on the side. Nothing worse than being in the middle of a thought and having to go hunt down a paper towel and your inkwell for a refill... A wooden pencil(s), well sharpened, could also serve as a backup writing instrument.

Edited by Parse Error

Visconti Homo Sapiens; Lamy 2000; Unicomp Endurapro keyboard.

Free your mind -- go write

Try India-made composition notebooks. Surprisingly fountain-pen capable, and one dollar at the Dollar Tree.

*snip*

*makes note in also fountain pen friendly Dollar Tree mini composition book* thanks for the tip. I'll have to stock up on those next time I'm near our local DT :)

I used pencil when I started writing my novel but I'm considering switching to a FP after I start again. It's a bucket list thing for me too.

The general consensus is that you should use whatever you're most comfortable with, but large ink capacities and light weight are always good. I'd be using my Gama Raja if I was writing right now- it's large, well balanced, writes well, wet (with Sheaffer No Nonsense feed), is insanely light for its size and has a 3-3.5 ml ink capacity. It's inexpensive too, so you'll have more money for paper and ink :)

It is Indian made, it's EF, it's big, it's ebonite and it's an eyedropper though, if you have prejudices against any of that. I have mine inked up with Noodler's Liberty's Elysium and I'm loving it.

Other than your main pen, I found it helpful in the seven chapters I've written to box the chapter divisions (I have Chapter X right now) in red (pencil in my case) and to do corrections and editing in red too. Makes edits and chapter breaks easier to navigate if you have a highly contrasting color that stands out from the rest of the manuscript.

Edited by thatotherguy1

Here to help when I know, learn when I don't, and pass on the information to anyone I can :)

I love my fountain pens but can't imagine writing a whole novel with one, and I have a good number of novels published. But if you're doing it for the enjoyment, go for it. Use your favorite pen and favorite ink because you're going to be holding that pen for many hours and looking at the ink a real lot.

Dude, that is perhaps the best excuse to buy new pens! Love it.

If only someone would release a Fantasy-themed series of fountain pens, it would be the perfect reason to buy 'em all. ;)

MrThoth

Scribe, Master of Mystic Lore, Young Curmudgeon

I like to switch out a few pens, but when I'm actually writing the novel I use Noodler's Black ink, though I will switch to one or two other blacks as well.

My favorite pens for general writing include a Lamy 2000, a Pilot Custom 823, a Noodler's Konrad, and a Pilot Justus 95.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

Brilliant site! Thank you for the link, I can see me whiling away a fair bit of time in there.

+1 on that. I was afraid that it was going to be confined to sf/fantasy/horror, but I see that all genres seem to be represented.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Have you looked into a desk pen, such as the Pilot 200 or a vintage desk pen ?

I find my desk pens are quite comfortable for writing. The long taper/tail balances the pen quite nicely.

Of course, this presumes that you have a desk that you write at and can put the desk set.

Although, there are a few desk pens that either come with a cap or can be used with one, to go portable.

- Pilot 200, comes with a cap, no desk base.

- Lamy joy, come with a cap, no desk base. Replace the italic nib with the nib of your choice.

- Parker 51 desk pen, just look for a Parker 51 or 21 cap.

- Parker 45 desk pen, just look for a Parker 45 cap.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Have you looked into a desk pen, such as the Pilot 200 or a vintage desk pen ?

I find my desk pens are quite comfortable for writing. The long taper/tail balances the pen quite nicely.

Of course, this presumes that you have a desk that you write at and can put the desk set.

Although, there are a few desk pens that either come with a cap or can be used with one, to go portable.

- Pilot 200, comes with a cap, no desk base.

- Lamy joy, come with a cap, no desk base. Replace the italic nib with the nib of your choice.

- Parker 51 desk pen, just look for a Parker 51 or 21 cap.

- Parker 45 desk pen, just look for a Parker 45 cap.

Wow, you weren't kidding about the tape on the Pilot 200. That looks interesting.

good tip earlier on RE using different coloured inks, I like that idea, especially editing in red.

Paper I would recommend going to Staples and getting a carton of premium multipurpose paper for under 100$. Compared to Rhodia,Clairefontaine, et al, the paper is of a similar quality and is much more economical. Since you are going to be doing massive amounts of writing, the pen is just the tool and a lot of the nuances (shading, sheen) do not quite matter as much, and you'll get used to that.

The Staples website has several kinds of paper that have the name, "premium multipurpose." I'm interested in your recommendation. Which one are you referring to? Thanks.

For extended periods of writing, I am using a Sheaffer desk pen with the Touchdown filling system and a Feather Touch M nib.

I use loose leaf paper of the cheapest kind, wide ruled. Individual chapters or stories go into their own sections in a binder labeled "Works In Progress". Ink, at the moment, is blue black Quink (I made a large buy).

Can a calculator understand a cash register?

I know the discussion was originally about pens but it did start to touch on paper choices. A long while back WatchArt posted about the Norcom composition books that were made in Brazil. I tried a couple of these out and for 15cents on the back to sale prices, they are unbeatable. So much so that last time the sales were on I went and bought a case.

WTT: My Lamy 2000 Fine nib for your Lamy 2000 Broad nib.

So, 11 plays, a few dozen short stories and a couple of novels later, I find that the combination that works best for me is either quad-lined composition books or bagasse copier paper coupled with a pen that requires the lightest of touch to put ink on paper. If I have to "bear down" on a pen to get it to write, then it's useless to me for long periods of writing.

Current favorites include:

Pilot Custom 823

Platinum 3776 Century

Aurora 88 full size

Visconti Homo Sapiens

Conway Stewart 100 Poinsettia

Pelikan Sahara

Pelikan M800

The bagasse paper I've been using of late is something called "Ology" that I find at local Walgreens stores.

I have (too) many pens and I love to write with them - bur apparently not enough. If I were to write a novel, I'd definitely use a PC. Especially if I intended to get it published.

(Now, running for cover :blush: )

Edited by Oldane

My recommendation is to buy a MacBook Air and MS Office for Mac and write your "novel" there. Much more efficient, and you'll end up with a better novel because you'll be able to edit at will. If you write novel in journals and notebooks you will be reluctant to edit, your edits will be less frequent, and your work will end up not as good. Plus at some point you'll need to enter it on a computer anyway, so why not get it captured on that final media in the first place? I am a poet and I keep a journal and write little bits of poems as they come to mind in journal with a fountain pen. It's fun and playful. Adds to my enjoyment. But I'd end up hating it if I was doing that with a 50,000 word novel and at the end was faced with task of entering it all in my computer. Sound romantic andf nostalgic and all that, but also sounds like an awful waste of time that will lead to fewer edits and a lesser-quality piece of literature. I've never heard anyone at an open mic read anything good that was hadwritten - I can tell when it's handwritten it's unedited and it's gonna be horrible. And it always is. Sounds like a good idea but in reality ain't gonna help get your novel published.

My recommendation is to buy a MacBook Air and MS Office for Mac and write your "novel" there. Much more efficient, and you'll end up with a better novel because you'll be able to edit at will. If you write novel in journals and notebooks you will be reluctant to edit, your edits will be less frequent, and your work will end up not as good.

Never found that to be the case. In fact, it acts almost like magic for a better second draft.

Differences occur.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.