Parker Slimfold Thingy Inside

schuco

I need this inkflow regulation thingy from the insides of a Parker Slimfold. I lost mine, this is from another copy of the same model.

You can also see it from this link, lying around with all its company :

http://sala.melda.info/parker_slimfold/

PS - Should I also open a topic in the Parker forum under "Brand Focus"?

post-38073-0-70211600-1422361221_thumb.jpg

Edited by schuco

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• schuco

• whoelse

• GG917

• Ernst Bitterman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Those I have seen were in translucent plastic, turned brown with age. One of them had partially melted due to the contact with the twisted plyglass sac. Some could also be in hard rubber but I have not seen any.

I've had a look at the page referenced by the OP, but I don't understand the language, and Google Translate hasn't been much help.

What is the object in question meant to be, and what is its purpose? Does it fit into the breather?

=====================================
Mario Mirabile
Melbourne, Australia

www.miralightimaging.com

=====================================

Those I have seen were in translucent plastic, turned brown with age. One of them had partially melted due to the contact with the twisted plyglass sac. Some could also be in hard rubber but I have not seen any.

Indeed, I suspect these were made of celluloid. I imagine fishing line could be a good substitute, as long as the material has comparable wettability.

Mario, these were inserted into the sac alongside the breather tube, and their function appears to have been to prevent ink getting trapped at the far end of the sac due to the PVC sac's relative lack of wettability. Probably more important on pens such as the Slimfold, as pens with larger sacs would have been less troubled by this problem.

A local master had said that it is to prevent the ink from flowing too much, but this explanation is highly valid to me:

(...), and their function appears to have been to prevent ink getting trapped at the far end of the sac due to the PVC sac's relative lack of wettability. (...)

Thanks Vintagepens Nishimura.

Edited by schuco

Indeed, I suspect these were made of celluloid. I imagine fishing line could be a good substitute, as long as the material has comparable wettability.

Mario, these were inserted into the sac alongside the breather tube, and their function appears to have been to prevent ink getting trapped at the far end of the sac due to the PVC sac's relative lack of wettability. Probably more important on pens such as the Slimfold, as pens with larger sacs would have been less troubled by this problem.

Celluloid make sense, it looks very much like the material used to make vacumatics breather tubes. The string is only found in the two smaller models of the UK duofold, to ensure that ink does not get trapped on the top of the sac by breaking the surface tension in those narrow sacs. I have one slimfold without the string but with a normal sac, works perfectly.

As the owner of two Duofold Juniors in which ink has tended to hang up, I wish Parker had put something into the sac, even though it is larger than that of the Slimfold. The problem has seemed to diminish with the passage of time, though.

It is quite a bendable material. Mine actually bended from the long term pressing of sag during the filling. It serve like agitator to improve ink flow and prevent ink sticking. The P51 is different which is a breather tube made of ebonite inserted into the feed unit. This tube in slimfold do not connect to anything Just a floating material in thr sag.

Today, I threw in a nylon guitar string the length of 6.6 millimeters (that's the same length as my other one). It was a little curvy due to an idle standing like guitar strings or any strings do when not in use. I applied some heat to work it straight.

This material is really a substitute because the original one is basically something else, as you also put it. We'll see how it goes.