What Have I Just Purchased From Molly

Left FPN

A walk around Molly's Den this morning and I came across this for £10.

It looks to have been varnished and had ink residue inside. It is a piston filler.

Large, obviously not a daily user.

Its currently in the ultrasonic cleaner.

More later

fpn_1422359561__dscn0231.jpg

fpn_1422359621__dscn0232.jpg

fpn_1422359669__dscn0235.jpg

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Left FPN

• ehemem

• Sailor Kenshin

• OakIris

Looks like a pen made for users with arthritis. SBRE did a review of something like that once. From what I'm reading it sounds like it's Japanese. That piston doesn't sound like a piston at all, but a pressure release valve, common on Japanese super oversized pens. From what I'm reading it looks like this is a massive eyedropper! I can't say for certain, but that's my guess!

"Oh deer."

It is a Japanese eyedropper pen, not a piston filler. And it looks like it is urushi coated. You might want to do a search for Japanese eyedropper and Jumbo pens.

That's IT. I like the way he says it writes straight away after not using it for a while...only a few seconds before he had purged ink through the feed/nib.

Thanks all for your replies.

Edited by Force

...and you want to fix that nib...

yes, it is a bit off. I still have it soaking to get rid of the old brown varnish that somone has applied. It's looking good though already.

yes, it is a bit off. I still have it soaking to get rid of the old brown varnish that somone has applied. It's looking good though already.

What??? Where is this "brown varnish"? On the nib? Or are you talking about something on the pen body?

What??? Where is this "brown varnish"? On the nib? Or are you talking about something on the pen body?

On the pens black body parts. You can see it in the pictures. Looks like it was brushed on.

The nib looks like it has it's fingers crossed. Maybe it was hoping someone would pick it up and give it a home

Haha! Exactly what I thought!

That thing looks like it was built as some sort of a self defence weapon!

:) Stranger no more :)

On the pens black body parts. You can see it in the pictures. Looks like it was brushed on.

If I were you, I would be very careful. If this is an urushi finished pen, that brown stuff may be urushi that may be breaking down...

And for the life of me I cannot see what you are talking about on my screen...

I would leave the lacquer, you may be ultrasonically cleaning of VALUE.....

:lol: I very much doubt it.

ehemem...you need a new screen.

Hey...does this first video in the thread show one of these fat pens being repaired? At about 10:06?

It is along the lines but I think the one shown is smaller in diameter.

There's no way I would let my wife loose with a hammer especially if I had both hands occupied.

There was a lot of secret work going on there but I did glimpse an arkansas stone in use.

I bet he could play the acoustic guitar well with those nails.

I forgot to say, the wife and I went to Molly's to sus out the joint as we were thinking of taking up a 12' x 12' or 12' x 10' spot. It looked a good place to sell a few things so I phoned them on my return home.....sorry there's a waiting list of 250... :o If you would like to be added the wait is about 12 months :unsure: