New "caiso" Bulkfiller Revealed !

fountainbel

Hi fountain pen friends !

As promised in one of my earlier postings, below a few pictures of the new "CAISO" Kingsize Bulkfiller. (CAISO patent pending)

"CAISO" stands for Cap Actuated Ink Shut Off, meaning the main ink reservoir is completely closed when mounting the cap and opens automatically when removing the cap.

Benefit in comparison with a normal Bulk filler is that one does not open the filling knob for long writing sessions, nor close it afterwards before traveling.

This system will only be offered on the Kingsize Bulk filler, pen dimensions remain completely identical to a normal Kingsize;

I've tested my prototype intensively for 6 months, made gradually a few improvements, and now I'm fully convinced it will work perfectly.

This idea is basically not new ,Wahl Eversharp has made the first version of an ink closing valve activated by the mounting of the cap in1936.

Unfortunately this system proved not to be very efficient, as the folded closing cone seat easily deformed

Avoiding this problem and eliminating any bending moment I've provided a guiding bore for the closing plunger centrally in the feed, making the closing force purely axially.

The CAISO system will firstly be installed on a new LE Kingsize, which will be made in a series of 50 numbered pens in occasion of the publication centenary of "Einsteins general relativity theory" in 1915

Conid plans availability as from July 2015

Shortly later the CAISO system will also become available on on the normal Kingsize versions, including on a demonstrator.

And yes, the Bulk Filler...... a never ending story !

Kind regards, Francis

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountainbel

• glassjaw003

• Tojusi

• mongrelnomad

Wow, that is one cool pen! I'd love to see the demonstrator version.

It be amazing if you could some how turn the ink valve into a snorkel to suck up the ink like the sheaffer snorkels.

Looking forward to production. All the evolution is great and a pleasure to watch from the sidelines!

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

When I first say the title the image on a 1980s digital watch calculator with tiny rubber buttons morphed onto a pen came to my mind. I thought it sad CASIO. :^)

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Bloomin' 'eck Francis! The rate of evolution at Conid would make Darwin blush.

Any hints as to which material the Waterloo LE will be manufactured in?

Too many pens; too little writing.

As promised in one of my earlier postings, below a few pictures of the new "CAISO" Kingsize Bulkfiller. (CAISO patent pending)

"CAISO" stands for Cap Actuated Ink Shut Off, meaning the main ink reservoir is completely closed when mounting the cap and opens automatically when removing the cap. Benefit in comparison with a normal Bulk filler is that one does not open the filling knob for long writing sessions, nor close it afterwards before traveling.

This development strikes me as like an automatic versus a manual transmission in a motor vehicle. I assume that most people will embrace it, but given my preference to shift gears by hand, I wonder two things: 1) What is the disadvantage of CAISO relative to normal shut-off? 2) Do you expect to phase out the normal shut-off mechanism? Thanks.

Hello Francis,

Can a normal oversize bulkfiller be fitted with this system? It seems to be a great improvement and very ingenious too.

This development strikes me as like an automatic versus a manual transmission in a motor vehicle. I assume that most people will embrace it, but given my preference to shift gears by hand, I wonder two things: 1) What is the disadvantage of CAISO relative to normal shut-off? 2) Do you expect to phase out the normal shut-off mechanism? Thanks.

Hi prf5,

1) The only disadvantage is the extra cost….

2) Note the CAISO system will only be offered as an "additional" feature , and only on the Kingsize .

So the Minimalistica, Slimline , Regular, as well as the standard Kingsize will always be equipped the normal shut-off system.

Francis

Dear fountain pen Friends !

Being personally not convinced on the dedication name of the new limited edition, I talked about it today with Werner.

We decided to name the Kingsize LE 2015 in remembrance to the "Centenary of the publication of Einstein's general relativity" published in 1915.

This event seems more neutral and is certainly worthy of remembrance.

I've already changed it in my initial post

Sincerely, Francis

Well done Francis

Are the conid designs and pens were reliable and worth their price!!

Again a prove how small companies can have a real added value compared to established brands

Ahh, you have been working for a while on this, Francis. Great that it is now in the Patent Pending state....and ready for actual implementation.

And while not as revolutionary as Einstein's Theory, certainly a great occasion to launch this CAISO, 100 year later.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Bloomin' 'eck Francis! The rate of evolution at Conid would make Darwin blush.

Any hints as to which material the Waterloo LE will be manufactured in?

Hi mongrelnomad,

Good question !

The material for the new LE Kingsize is not decided yet.

There are actually different viewpoints within the Conid team, so they will have to search for a compromise !

Ì'll surely keep you all posted once the material decision is made

Francis

Hi Francis

The diagrams are very interesting, thank you. However I wonder if you can explain one part of it.

I think I understand how the cut off works, viz. a spring pushes open the valve when the cap is removed; a rod in the cap pushes the valve shut, compressing the spring, when the cap is returned. That is very clever and possibly very exciting.

The rod seems to pass through the center of the section. Does this mean the rod also passes through the center of the feed?

If so, are you able to do this because on the Kingsize you make your own feeds, which you can cut as you like?

If it does pass through the center, is there any danger that ink could leak down the channel for the rod?

Will the rod need lubrication?

Do you think it will still be straightforward to take the pen apart and put it back together?

With the cap off, will part of the cut off be visible in the ink window?

What is the spring made off that will make it corrosion-resistant to ink?

I'm sorry if I'm the only one who does not understand or if I am excessively curious. Please consider it as an expression of my keen interest.

Thank you.

David.

Hi David,

Thanks for your specific interest in the technical aspects of the CAISO, much appreciated !

Please find my answers to your questions directly behind the questions in your post.

Francis.

Hi Francis

The diagrams are very interesting, thank you. However I wonder if you can explain one part of it.

I think I understand how the cut off works, viz. a spring pushes open the valve when the cap is removed; a rod in the cap pushes the valve shut, compressing the spring, when the cap is returned. That is very clever and possibly very exciting.

The rod seems to pass through the center of the section. Does this mean the rod also passes through the center of the feed?

If so, are you able to do this because on the Kingsize you make your own feeds, which you can cut as you like?

Yes, Conid will effectively make their own hard rubber feeds for the CAISO

If it does pass through the center, is there any danger that ink could leak down the channel for the rod?

Yes, the valve actuating plunger goes trough the centerline of the feed.

The mating tolerance is however close, being only 0.03 to 0.05mm backlash between the rod and the feed bore.

Intensive tests ensured us there are no risks for leakage.

Note also the long supporting length which greatly reduce these leakage risks

Will the rod need lubrication?

Note the small undercut in the rod closer to the nib point. this groove is filled with silicone grease at assembly.

Advantage being the rod is greased and the grease also restricts further the risks for leakage

Do you think it will still be straightforward to take the pen apart and put it back together?

No problem for disassembling and cleaning, complete CAISO system comes out when screwing the nib unit out by hand, without the use of any tools.

Given the high volume displacement inherent to the Bulk filler, the system is perfectly cleaned after a few flushings with water, so disassembly is normally not needed.

With the cap off, will part of the cut off be visible in the ink window?

Only partially, one can just see the conical valve seat at the front of the ink window

What is the spring made off that will make it corrosion-resistant to ink?

The spring is made from special stainless spring steel, which we intensively tested on corrosion risks in various inks for a period of 6 months. Note the spring is rather strong, ensuring the valve will not stick, hence always open when removing the cap.

I'm sorry if I'm the only one who does not understand or if I am excessively curious. Please consider it as an expression of my keen interest.

Thank you.

David.

Hi David,

Thanks for your specific interest in the technical aspects of the CAISO, much appreciated !

Please find my answers to your questions directly behind the questions in your post.

Francis.

Thanks for the answers. The details make it clear your solution is careful and ingenious. Congratulations.

I will be looking out for the production run of kingsize Bulkfillers later this year.

David.

Count me in for a demonstrator. Adding snorkel functionality, as suggested at the top of the responses would be insane, and a true feat of engineering well beyond an adaption of technology. I am excited about this, because for large capacity vac fillers, I don't like bothering with the knob, because I forget it and the feed runs dry, so I take the seal out. But with this, the automatic operation is great. Always wanted a bulk filler demo,. but I knew something else was coming down the line. Now I can jump on it when available.

Thanks for your work.

• 2 weeks later...

Count me in for a demonstrator. Adding snorkel functionality, as suggested at the top of the responses would be insane, and a true feat of engineering well beyond an adaption of technology. I am excited about this, because for large capacity vac fillers, I don't like bothering with the knob, because I forget it and the feed runs dry, so I take the seal out. But with this, the automatic operation is great. Always wanted a bulk filler demo,. but I knew something else was coming down the line. Now I can jump on it when available.

Thanks for your work.

Hi XianApi,

Thanks for your reaction !

integrating a "snorkel" feature in the CAISO system is unfortunately not possible.

Francis

Hi XianApi,

Thanks for your reaction !

integrating a "snorkel" feature in the CAISO system is unfortunately not possible.

Francis

I know, I wasnt really serious about the snorkel, just saw someone mention it. I am dealing with manufacturing special buttons and connectors, and it is very hard, involving many hours. So I find what you have done very impressive and I am seriously in for buying a demonstrator whenever that would be available.

Thanks