Bay State Blue Mystery

Fabienne

I love Bay State Blue. I love it so much I just bought a TWSBI (which I also love) to dedicate to BSB. I had not used my bottle of BSB for months though, and when I opened it to fill my TWSBI I saw something odd floating on the top. I fished it out (some of it anyway) and it was not an STD, it looks solid and darker than the ink, as if there was a solid precipitate coming out of the ink. I have not heard of this before. It has been stored at room temp, in a dark place. Do you think the ink is safe to use? Has anyone else had this happen? Could it just be the pigments clumping together when the ink is not used? What should I do: a) stop being such a sissy and use it anyway, B) go through endless trouble to strain out the stuff and use the ink, c) get rid of the bottle and get a new one, don't be a cheapskate, d) something else? I cast myself on your wisdom!

http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af174/fabienne301/IMG_0056_zpsb60d02f9.jpg

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Fabienne

• mirosc

• J85909266

Top Posters In This Topic

No real explanation here, but if I were you I would just give it a nice stir and shake and use it.

1) You have pen dedicated only for this ink - so no spread if it were something evil.

2) You have a TWSBI which you can completely disassemble and clean if necessary.

I don't see any reason to be concerned.

Could it just be the pigments clumping together when the ink is not used

remember the movie "I, Robot"?

quote: "Why is it that when robots are stored in an empty space, they will group together, rather than stand alone? How do we explain this behavior? [...] When does a perceptual schematic become consciousness?"

BSB - it's alive!!

Don't throw it away...

Edited by mirosc

Greetings,

Michael

It was likely attempting to mobilize and go rogue, staining all other colors out of existence.

There was some black magic involved in achieving that level of contrast.

Shake your bottles of BSB and use them frequently. The ink is sentient, and will attempt to escape, The Blob-style, if left unattended.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

How old is the bottle?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I don't know how old it is. It's not 5 yrs old but more than 1. I would guess it's 3.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

Did you get it from Goulet's? I'd ask their opinion about returns.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

That looks quite dead. I'd try to sanitize the pen and not use the bottle. Not sure where to go from there.

Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse reasons hath diverse names. -- T. Hobbes - Leviathan

Some inks really do become globs of dye (which is not the same as hosting new life and new civilizations). Cartier and Pelikan inks from the 1950s and 1980s are two that have done me wrong and have acted similarly. I wouldn't put this in a pen because the time to clean out clogs is miserable. I would however tie dye a t-shirt with the blue.

Let's compromise.

Use the ink in a dip pen - glass pen or metal nib. Both easy to clean. No dis-assembly required and your handwriting gains an extra flair it didn't have before