Parsons Essential Replacement Converter

Stu L

So my Schmidt converter leaks. Actually I've had two that leak on me. I've been using carts to get rid of a couple that I had no use for, but its time to find an alternative converter.

Can anyone suggest what should fit? The fitting should be international as international short carts fit, but it isn't quite.

I have a Jinhao international sized converter and that doesn't fit.

Then a FPR converter and that doesn't fit

Then another unbranded sildey type international converter and they doesn't fit either.

All of these are interchangeable with international carts, but the converts don't fit the parsons....

Somehow the Schmidt is different. It fits, but it leaks. Help!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stu L

• RMN

• TSherbs

• erpe

Top Posters In This Topic

Faber-Castell converters for Loom/Basic are also manufactured by Schmidt (rebranded), just checked, it fits indeed. Just for fun , I also looked at the Watermans, they seem to fit as well but are quite loose.

Btw, just noticed you're in England. If you contact Mr. Pen, I'm pretty sure he will send you a replacement.

Edited by erpe

Hi Stu. I've just tried a converter from a Waterman Phileas in my Parsons, and it fits OK, but without ink I can't say if it would leak.

Have you contacted Mr.Peter Ford at Mr. Pen? His customer service is second to none. I'm sure he will advise, or make things right for you. Hope you get your Parsons sorted. It's a great pen.

Whatever is true,whatever is noble,whatever is right,whatever is pure,whatever is lovely,whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.

Philippians 4.8

I have indeed contacted Mr Pen and his service was top notch. He sent a replacement Schmidt converter, but we still had a leak. Then, having ruled the converter out, the pen went back and had a brand new section.

I'd almost given up on it, but then tried a cartridge and lo behold not a leak in sight.

So it wasn't the fault of the pen, nor Mr Pen, but two leaky Schmidt's. As that's the only choice for the Parsons, and having received so much help from Mr Pen, I decided the easiest route was to give up on the Schmidt and source a replacement converter myself.

I might try a Faber Castelle then, though if its just rebranded who knows....

A loose waterman doesn't sound hopeful :(

Edited by Stu L

Are we talking LEAKING, as it will not hold any ink because it all leaked out. Or is it more like just a tad bit of ink gets past the rubber plunger and so when you go to dismantle the pen you have a tad bit of ink outside the cartridge?

No, it'll hold ink. Just when you come to unscrew the back, there's ink all over the converter and the inside of the barrel.

I have a habit of checking how much ink is left regularly, but I'm not keen on getting inky every time I do... :(

Sounds like a bad seal between converter and nipple...

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I would be interested in the outcome of this thread. I too have moved to cartridges for my Parsons Essential because I'm fed up with the converter hosing the inside of the barrel with ink ...

Are we talking LEAKING, as it will not hold any ink because it all leaked out. Or is it more like just a tad bit of ink gets past the rubber plunger and so when you go to dismantle the pen you have a tad bit of ink outside the cartridge?

Zaphod's post, which I'll quote so it hits his notifications, seems to imply a solution?

I'm wondering if it's possible to dismantle these converters - perhaps replace the seal? That said, both mine leaked from new....

But then D.ick may be onto something too - especially as other 'international' converters don't quite fit. I think I read somewhere that the nipple may be too thick or thin to fit, though the diameter may be the same? Not sure, but worst comes to worst, I'll refill carts...

Edited by Stu L

Stu, can you compare the mouth of the cart and the converter?

D.ick

~

~

I would say they are different. Perhaps a Parker-size?

D.ick

~

~

Dunno. You'd think the Schmidt should fit as that's what comes with it.

Maybe the leak is from the back as zaphod suggested