Pilot Custom Heritage 92 As A First Pen

TheSacredSoul

I recently got interested in fountain pens and the CH92 demonstrator caught my eye. It's within my budget and I have heard mostly only good things about it. Will it be ok as a first FP? Or should I get something simpler. The primary purpose of the pen will be for journaling. Any advice welcome, including other brand/model recommendations!

Thanks!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheSacredSoul

• sexauerw

• parnesh

• redisburning

It is a great pen, first or otherwise. Just make sure the size and weight are ok for you. Also pick up a Pilot MR while you are at it.

Just a word of caution, Pilot might spoil you to other fountain pens!

If you have small(er) handwriting, sure...

However, I'd suggest that you also get a Pilot MR/Metropolitan and practice writing with that for a while, at least until your hand loosens up. Better to spend 15$ on a trainer pen (that you could put in your pocket to use when you're out and about) than to risk a 40-50$ pen repair because you've sprung the nib by stabbing it into the paper...

It's also a twist off caps. Since you're journaling, that really wouldn't be an issue for you, but if it were, consider the Lamy 2000.

If you write big, consider springing for a German pen, such as a Pelikan M200/5 B (or BB=highlighter, if you write REALLY big like me!)

Visconti Homo Sapiens; Lamy 2000; Unicomp Endurapro keyboard.

Free your mind -- go write

I recently got interested in fountain pens and the CH92 demonstrator caught my eye. It's within my budget and I have heard mostly only good things about it. Will it be ok as a first FP? Or should I get something simpler. The primary purpose of the pen will be for journaling. Any advice welcome, including other brand/model recommendations!

Thanks!

Personally, I really like the look and size of this pen. The nib is butter smooth, like most of Pilot nibs. I find its surface a bit slippery, but this is just a question of preference and I can't blame the pen on this. The only thing I don't like that much about that pen is the "inconsistent" ink flow, or I should say more capricious than other pens I own. Don't get me wrong: it never skips, but sometimes it puts a lot more in on the paper than I wish, for particular letters. It is not a flex writer, there is just more ink on the paper on unexpected strokes. Therefore, I really have to think about the pressure applied on the pen to get a consistent ink flow when used for my daily work. It is still a very nice pen to use and own, but I would have been a bit irritated if it was my first pen.

If I was able to go back in time and choose a first pen with a springy 14k nib, I would choose an old Montblanc 221 or a Pilot Celemo, the latest being a fraction of the cost of Heritage 92. However, they sure don't look as good as Heritage 92...

If you have small(er) handwriting, sure...

However, I'd suggest that you also get a Pilot MR/Metropolitan and practice writing with that for a while, at least until your hand loosens up. Better to spend 15$ on a trainer pen (that you could put in your pocket to use when you're out and about) than to risk a 40-50$ pen repair because you've sprung the nib by stabbing it into the paper...

It's also a twist off caps. Since you're journaling, that really wouldn't be an issue for you, but if it were, consider the Lamy 2000.

If you write big, consider springing for a German pen, such as a Pelikan M200/5 B (or BB=highlighter, if you write REALLY big like me!)

Pilot M and B nibs are ok for big writing. Not a BB but for most they are fine

It is a very nice pen - I've used one that a friend has and have contemplated buying it. Don't waste your money on the entry-level junk like the Metro / MR if you can afford a Custom - I made that mistake and would like it if I can help someone from doing the same. My fav Pilot is a Custom 743 and the rationale is - if I am writing with that, what good is an inferior (in every way) Metro doing on my desk.

Don't waste your money on the entry-level junk like the Metro / MR if you can afford a Custom - I made that mistake and would like it if I can help someone from doing the same.

I second this. If you like it, get it. Starting off with a nicer pen will give you a writing performance that is nicer out of the gate, thus negating a lot of the chasing after other cheap pens that accompanied my entry into fountain pens.

I don't buy the stuff about needing to practice with cheaper nibs - needing to research proper pen hygiene, yes, I wish I did that with my first pen - but I assume the OP is perfectly capable of learning how to write with the CH 92 without springing it.

Thanks for all the great feedback, guys!

I guess pens are like bicycles. Getting the best you can afford rather than starting off small and building from there. That's decided then. CH92 it is. Frankly, I fell in love with the looks. I know, I know, that is pretty shallow.

Also ordering the Rhodia Webbie and Pilot Shin-Kai to start me off. Pen hygiene? That's a first time I've heard that. All I know is I should draw up some warm water first before drawing ink to make sure the innards are clean. Shall go read up more on that.

And thanks again from Singapore!

Pen hygiene? That's a first time I've heard that. All I know is I should draw up some warm water first before drawing ink to make sure the innards are clean.

No! don't use warm water. Just use room temperature water. Warm (or hotter) water may wash away lubricants in the piston.

...I fell in love with the looks. I know, I know, that is pretty shallow....

Not at all. In this case the looks translate to stellar performance.

If you are entirely new to fountain pens, there are a couple of points that don't come up with other kinds of pens that will greatly increase your enjoyment of a beauty like this. First, fountain pens need some maintenance beyond just refilling. Just routine care and flushing--you don't have to disassemble them or anything. You can read about that here on FPN. Second, unlike virtually any other writing instrument except a brush, fountain pens are sensitive to pressure: the less you use, the happier both you and the pen will be. Just the weight of the pen on the paper is enough to make a properly-working fountain pen write well. Any more than that is at best wasting energy and at worst damaging the pen. So many first-time users have to really focus on how hard they press down on the pen--until you learn to notice it, too much pressure is an unconscious mistake.

Enjoy!

ron

It's a very nice-looking pen I'd rather like to have myself, so I envy you the fact it's going to be your first pen.

Don't worry about so-called "entry-level junk." Fountain pens all work the same way, and while the 92 is more refined and sensuous than the MR, it does exactly the same job, so it's not quite like buying an "entry-level" bike that comes with stabilisers and doesn't have gears or something. If you can't find a place for both a more expensive pen and a less expensive pen, just get one. But there are many of us who use both equally happily.

As to cleaning pens, well, fountain pens are very practical and low-maintenance instruments, in my opinion. I rinse them out once in a while, and when changing ink colours, but it's not something that keeps me awake at night.

Thanks again for all the great feedback! Will purchase the CH92 in Clear soon! Special thanks to Jocham for alerting me about warm water cleaning.

Shall post pictures once I receive it!

Edit : One more thing. Any nib size suggestions? I know Japanese pens run small so I figured I'd go with the M.

Edited by TheSacredSoul

I really recommend that you find some place where you can hold the pen in your hand.

The reason for this is, I was burned.

I bought a Lamy 2000 over the internet.

When I got it and held it, I knew it would be a problem, and it was.

The pen was a little too FAT for my hand, and when posted, a little to heavy. I tried writing with it for a couple of months, but I just was not happy with how it felt in my hand. So now it sits idle in my collection, never to be used again. :(

If I had the opportunity to hold one to see how it felt in my hand, I would never had bought one.

As for nib size, a few questions:

- what is the line spacing of your journal; college ruled, wide ruled, 7mm, 8mm, ?

- - the more space you have the larger your nib can be, similarly, the smaller the space you have, the smaller your nib has to be.

- do you write large or small?

- - how much of the line spacing do you use when you write the tall letters; l,k,M,P, etc.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I really recommend that you find some place where you can hold the pen in your hand.

The reason for this is, I was burned.

I bought a Lamy 2000 over the internet.

When I got it and held it, I knew it would be a problem, and it was.

The pen was a little too FAT for my hand, and when posted, a little to heavy. I tried writing with it for a couple of months, but I just was not happy with how it felt in my hand. So now it sits idle in my collection, never to be used again. :(

If I had the opportunity to hold one to see how it felt in my hand, I would never had bought one.

As for nib size, a few questions:

- what is the line spacing of your journal; college ruled, wide ruled, 7mm, 8mm, ?

- - the more space you have the larger your nib can be, similarly, the smaller the space you have, the smaller your nib has to be.

- do you write large or small?

- - how much of the line spacing do you use when you write the tall letters; l,k,M,P, etc.

Ah, good advice. I can get it locally for 228 Singapore dollars but it's only 120+ USD (Which is about 170 SGD) on Amazon. Guess I will just get it from the local store.

The notebook I'll be using is the Rhodia Webbie A5 lined. I write medium, not exceedingly small or large. I usually hit the top line or just below for tall letters. So I am guessing a fine medium, medium tip?

It is a very nice pen - I've used one that a friend has and have contemplated buying it. Don't waste your money on the entry-level junk like the Metro / MR if you can afford a Custom - I made that mistake and would like it if I can help someone from doing the same. My fav Pilot is a Custom 743 and the rationale is - if I am writing with that, what good is an inferior (in every way) Metro doing on my desk.

Ill third this.

Start the hobby off on the right foot.

I came across the Custom 823 and it seems to be superior in every way to the CH92. I am tempted to get it but I hear you have to unscrew the cap about 2mm for continuous writing that almost seems like a deal breaker.

I came across the Custom 823 and it seems to be superior in every way to the CH92. I am tempted to get it but I hear you have to unscrew the cap about 2mm for continuous writing that almost seems like a deal breaker.

Why do you think that unscrewing the blind cap a deal breaker? It really isn't noticeable.

Why do you think that unscrewing the blind cap a deal breaker? It really isn't noticeable.

But having to constantly unscrew to write can be quite a hassle. But I have since read so you leave it unscrewed without risking leakage or even remove the O ring to stop the pen behaving this way. Probably will do this since I do not fly much. I can only manage to find the smoke Custom 823 in F tip. Looks like this is how I will go.