140's And Bling

DrCodfish

Chit chatting with Rising Sun in the 'recent acquisition' thread, made me think to post a couple pics:

The 140's

16356352715_c8254b6586_c.jpg

And these two classics (a little brassing on the clips but otherwise, decent examples).

16170519927_8f56483f85_c.jpg

Edited by DrCodfish

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DrCodfish

• Bo Bo Olson

• risingsun

• penhappy

Top Posters In This Topic

Love 'em! I've looked at a number of 500s and 500NNs but have yet to see one quite nice enough to cause me to part with my money. Those metal caps take a beating in a lot of cases. I admit I am actively searching, though.

Edited by risingsun

Sun%20Hemmi2.jpg

I love that flock of 140's. Hope to have one of my own someday.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

The tortoise one is superb. :wub:

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

I've a black (OF) and green stripped (OB) 140; both about 15 degree grind in standard semi-flex and a unmarked but OBB 500 with a 30 degree grind in 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex. Wet too. Defiantly a signature nib.

What width, grind and flex does your 500 have?

A very nice collection of 140's. :thumbup:

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Doc, do any of your 3 solid colored 140s have the engraved logos on the cap tops? None of mine do, but it appears in the above photo that you green and blue one might have logos...

Sun%20Hemmi2.jpg

Beautiful pens. I said that I wasn't going to become a collector that may be an impossibility if I stay a member of this sub-forum :wacko: ..........

Beautiful collection!

Sadly I have but one 140. But it has the most delicious and expressive semiflex B nib!!!

I've a black (OF) and green stripped (OB) 140; both about 15 degree grind in standard semi-flex and a unmarked but OBB 500 with a 30 degree grind in 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex. Wet too. Defiantly a signature nib.

What width, grind and flex does your 500 have?

A very nice collection of 140's. :thumbup:

I can't tell the designation of the nib width, it is set a little too deep so the collar covers it up. I would say it writes a fine line but you'd like it as it is just a bit too flexible for my liking. I can use it but I would like it to be just a bit stiffer, so I am happy that it is set so deep.

Doc, do any of your 3 solid colored 140s have the engraved logos on the cap tops? None of mine do, but it appears in the above photo that you green and blue one might have logos...

As it happens, all but the red one are logo engraved:

16359663312_ed84f1ed90_c.jpg

Sorry about the crappy pic, I really need to get around to building that light box.

Great collection, Drcodfish, I'm sure there'll be more addition to this 140 series in the future. Do update us. Thanks for sharing the photos though.

Doc, have you checked it against your other semi-flex's? In it could well be 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex.

My 500 and 400nn are such. I've some Osmia/O-F-C Supra nibs in that flex also. And a Geha 790...that was supposed to be OEF but was 'just' an F....but that flex had so surprised me I was happy. My other 790's are semi-flex.

I got @ 15 of them, so it don't bother me....but then again...I so seldom do the fancy such nibs could give, if I spent a few minutes hours practicing six of the basic strokes from stiff italic calligraphy. :blush: :rolleyes:

My 500 don't seem to have a size either...and I'm not going to go take the nib out of the feed to see if my guess of OBB is correct. It is a 30 degree grind. (I have a 30&15 degree grind in Osmai in OBB.)

You have enough vintage Pelikan nibs to know a Fine when you see one....so it's a F.

Me and Mr. Murphy have an agreement...don't fiddle with what's working and I won't get that ghostly echoing laugh...that never stops. :wacko:

Later, I thought OEF would be really too narrow to be of use to me, so have not chased any OEF's since. I only have the basic flex's in seldom used EF....and wouldn't dream of chasing Japanese EF or western XXF.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Beautiful collection!

Sadly I have but one 140. But it has the most delicious and expressive semiflex B nib!!!

I have one of these B's also and it is superb!

Edited by Russ