Pilot Fermo Problem

Robert Alan

I own two Pilot Capless Fermo fountain pens and they are excellent writing instruments. However, on one of the pens, the thin rubber gasket around the threads of the front section has broken and I wonder if anyone knows where I can obtain a replacement. I contacted Pilot USA and was told that they might have to send the pen to Japan for repair since they did not have replacement parts. I would like to avoid that!

I can certainly screw the pen together without the gasket, but it does provide some cushioning and, if possible, I'd like to put one on the front section.

Thanks in advance for any help.

/Robert

No matter where you go, there you are.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Robert Alan

• rutherfordr

• okamiokami

• Jeff_H

If you send your pen to Pilot in Jacksonville, they will definitely have to send it to Japan.

However, it probably won't cost much (if anything), and you will just have to spend time waiting for it to get fixed.

IMO it's worth it -- the Fermo is an excellent pen!

Edited by rutherfordr

Scientia potentia est.

If you send your pen to Pilot in Jacksonville, they will definitely have to send it to Japan.

However, it probably won't cost much (if anything), and you will just have to spend time waiting for it to get fixed.

IMO it's worth it -- the Fermo is an excellent pen!

Thanks for your reply. I believe you are correct and I will indeed have Pilot take care of it. Although I can certainly use the pen without the gasket, the metal could wear quickly without it, and I wouldn't want to damage such a beautiful writing instrument. I really like the Fermo.

I am a Lamy fan, but I think the Fermo is a much better designed and functioning "capless" or retractable-type fountain pen when compared to the Lamy Dialog 3. The Dialog 3 often dries out and that has never happened with either of my Fermo pens--or any of my Vanishing Point click-type pens.

Regards, Robert

Have you thought about going to the hardware store or a hobby store and looking for a thin rubber gasket that might work? Even if you don't find a rubber gasket you might find a metal washer that would. Just an option to being without your pen for a couple of months. Good luck. I almost bought the Feramo, but ended up with the Decimo.

I enjoy MB 146 pens, Sailor, Pilot and Platinum pens as well. I have a strong attraction to dark red and muted green ink, colors I dislike for everything but FP ink. I also enjoy practicing my handwriting and attempting to improve it. I love the feel of quality paper under a gold nib.

I found the Dialog 3 to be disappointing, despite the coolness factor of the retractable nib.

When I tried it, it felt like a heavy pen with a slippery section and a dry nib -- very hard to write with.

The Fermo, on the other hand, has the wonderful Pilot nib, and I actually enjoy feeling the clip between my fingers when I write. I still don't like the weight, but I find that I can get used to it after about a week of use, so I pull it out every once in a while and give it some exercise.

Scientia potentia est.

Have you thought about going to the hardware store or a hobby store and looking for a thin rubber gasket that might work? Even if you don't find a rubber gasket you might find a metal washer that would. Just an option to being without your pen for a couple of months. Good luck. I almost bought the Feramo, but ended up with the Decimo.

Jeff, Thanks for your thoughts on this problem. I did check my local Ace Hardware, but couldn't find any gasket or substitute small enough. The smallest gasket I have found is like the one used to convert a Platinum Preppy to an eye-dropper filler (Goulet Pens and JetPens has sold them), but they are a bit too thick to work properly on the Fermo.

The decimo is also a very nice fountain pen. I certainly like its slender profile, compared to the standard Vanishing Point.

/Robert

Edited by Robert Alan

• 3 years later...

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but I just (last week) experienced the same problem with my Pilot Capless (Vanishing Point).

I contacted Pilot Italy, and they told first that the pen would have been shipped to Japan, which became France after a few pleading emails from me.

Total time just 20 days: a Technician would have to inspect the pen and install a new gasket. For the uninitiated, there is no installation, the gasket can be installed by any user simply removing the cap (as for any refill). No disassembly is necessary,

I replied I wasnt keen on shipping a pen with a big sentimental value around the world for a gasket worth 3 cents.

I am still holding for their reply (I last wrote on Friday, cant really expect any updates during the week-end).

So, I was wondering if the OP found a solution. I measured the gasket and it is apparently 10mm internal diameter by less than 1mm section.

The smallest I could find was 10mm by 1mm (slightly thicker than necessary, I fear) on Amazon from a Marketplace seller.

5 gaskets, 8 euros (again, the wholesale price is 3 cents per gasket, what stopped me from buying whole sail was the minimum purchase of 1000 pieces)

I think Ill wait two more days then order the expensive (and possibly too thick) gaskets from Amazon.

Please let me know if and how you solved the problem.

PS. I also contacted the Goulet Pen Company, not because the pen was purchased from them (it wasnt), but because I figured they sell many more Pilot pens a year than Pilot Italy. They were very nice, but ultimately unable to get hold of a spare for me.

Edited by okamiokami

On eBay, I bought a small gasket "kit" which has 18 different sizes of gaskets (225 total). I needed it for a couple of projects, but since then I've periodically found use for them. Recently I installed one in the rOtring 800 mechanical pencil to inhibit wobble. Worked like a charm. I checked it out and there is a 3/8" (10mm) one. It was something like $8 from eBay. Nitrile O-ring Assortment.

Here's an example shot of the inner lid (you can see A012 is 3/8"):

O-ring-kit.jpg

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

• 7 months later...

Can someone please post a picture of exactly where this gasket is supposed to go on the Decimo and on the Vanishing Point and also what it looks like? A few pictures would help a lot. Thank you.

Edited by FountainPenGuru

Can someone please post a picture of exactly where this gasket is supposed to go on the Decimo and on the Vanishing Point and also what it looks like? A few pictures would help a lot. Thank you.

Unscrew the barrel by 360deg... The base of the gap is where the groove for the o-ring will be. (Then continue to unscrew the barrel to gain access to fit the o-ring onto the shaft into the groove)