• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bizhe

• OakIris

• Charles Rice

• AndrewThomas

If I fired my secretary and replaced him with a robot where could he find other employment? Next thing would be replacing all the Butlers and Man servants with robotics.

No wonder the economy is falling apart.

After all that trouble to find a secretary with a fair hand....then to make her teach the robot how to do it...

Then comes the automatic flex stage setting nib with the head rotating for five widths. I suggest using the Apple program for this, instead of Windows.

One can take a good tax loss when the fountain pens it replaces are sold.

Depreciation for the life of the unit....and don't have to worry about sexual harassment, vacations, illnesses.

The problem is, it don't make coffee.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

You could tell that it was machine done because the letters are too regular.

http://i.imgur.com/7woGi71.jpg

I don't have a scanner, so this was from my webcam...

Visconti Homo Sapiens; Lamy 2000; Unicomp Endurapro keyboard.

Free your mind -- go write

It's one of those weird inventions/behaviors that come about during the transition between two social norms. There is still enough cultural memory of hand written notes to give them cache, but they are anachronistic enough that most people don't write them anymore--so this weird contraception temporarily bridges the gap.

It reminds me of those 15th century readers who were alive during the widespread rise of the printed book. Some of the more wealthy ones who grew up with scribal (i.e. handwritten) books didn't like their new printed books, and would hire scribes to re-write printed books by hand and then bind it into a book. It was a brief cultural practice that popped up between two different norms.

Will the machine make my coffee and bring it to me also? Will the machine order my lunch or get me reservations at the best dining spots? Will the machine prevent a pesky employee from barging into my office with irrelevant news?

I believe the secretary provides other services a machine cannot!

If I were one of those who was paid 32 times my lowest paid employee I would probably use it to write "personal" notes of encouragement to those who I made 10 times more than. Help to keep their morale up that thy got a personally written note from the head man

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

around where i live banks often hire people (at minimum wage) to hand address letters, the idea being that people are more likely to open a letter if its addressed by hand. i think this is an attempt to fill that commercial niche. or perhaps its just an homage to this

Pretty sad world where you have to pay a robot to write "personal" thank you notes for you because you can't be bothered to take the time to write them yourself. Why not just sent a "form letter" email? And, unless you pay the no doubt premium price for having the robot copy your actual hand writing, instead of using one of their "ready made" styles, it would be pretty obvious that the note was computer generated. (At least, I can certainly tell that those "handwritten" solicitations sent out by insurance company, etc., marketing departments are NOT handwritten.)

I may be very slow to send out notes and letters to friends, but I still wouldn't resort to using a robot to write for me instead. The robot even folds the letter/note, stuffs it in the envelope, addresses, stamps it, uses a wax seal. Pretty soon maybe it will carry it out to a drone so that it can be delivered to the recipient.

The only cool thing about this - a fountain pen is used! (Wonder if the robot fills the pen with the ink of its choice and smooths the nib if necessary, lol, and then cleans the pen at the end of the day....)

Holly

Edited by OakIris

No way will I use that. I have enough problems with my computer that insists on completing words for me--and usually it guesses the wrong word so I have to go back & correct it. It's more trouble than if I typed the whole thing myself.

And don't get me started on spell check. It corrects the most benign mistakes & leaves the most embarrassing ones. Typos that result in gibberish are nowhere near as bad as typos that result in correctly spelled words other than the one you meant to use. The former makes you look like a bad typist. The latter makes you look like a nut.

I remember one of my math professors in college. She was a pretty woman, not much older than the students. On the syllabus she handed out on the first day of class was her contact information, which included the line "Call me at (this number) for massages." Obviously she meant "messages". The boys in the class had a field day.

Don't sweat the small stuff....and it's all small stuff.

I got distracted and started reading other articles on the website. But no, I would not use, mainly then why would I need so many fountain pens?

Troy

Write it, or don't write it ! This strikes me as dishonest.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I think the whole point of writing is that you put in some time and effort into it. This seems to be a vanity tool for those who care about looking good without actually wanting to put in time and effort, which strikes me as defeating the purpose of handwriting something.

Of course, I can see how companies would find this attractive and I suspect that this may be their target market. But for an end user, I would never even consider using this and would probably think less of anyone who does.