Lent To A Stranger

dubhe

I would have no problem lending my pen out.

I seriously doubt anybody knows how much your pen costs.

Besides, your missing the main question that needs to be asked, was the woman attractive? :)

No, but her daughter sat next to her was!

However, seeing her mother, and therefore where she was heading, meant she should probably make the most of her good looks right now.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dubhe

• OngL

• Paul Raposo

• orfew

Can you re-post the picture? It's gone.

Sorry Steve. I lost the original pics a while back and was never able to update the post.

Basically the feed was broken and driven into the section the nib was bent backwards. It was ugly.

Edited by Paul Raposo

There are a thousand thoughts lying within a man that he does not know till he takes up a pen to write.

--William Makepeace Thackeray

Visit my blog to see the pens I have for sale

Paul's Pens

Look them right in the eyes and say, "I'm sorry. I don't speak (insert whatever language they asked you in which you obviously speak)."

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Look them right in the eyes and say, "I'm sorry. I don't speak (insert whatever language they asked you in which you obviously speak)."

oh, That shows you actually speak the basic phrases of that language. A blank stare would take it to next level :)

Once I arrived at my meeting I looked around the table during discussion, 12 attendees from senior management posts across the UK. 4 Bics, a Parker, 2 unbranded clicky ballpoints and the rest gel ink pens from the office stationary cupboard. Are pen affectionardoes a rarer breed than I thought?

I experienced the same situation many times.

Oh wow that definitely gives me some food for thought. I think I would be the 'I don't think so please ask someone else' camp.

People almost never ask me for my pen.

Most of the times they are looking around to spot a pen and when they see mine they just try to grab it while saying that the need something to write with.

I'm almost 'trained' in these situations now and can prevent them to take the pen.

I give them my loaner then (bic or whatever came across my desk that morning).

When I say that I don't want to lend out my pen they look strange at me.

Nib (re)plating: please visit www.Dutchpen.com

Too funny

I've had my pens pulled right out of my hand in a meeting before. Couldn't really say much because it was the head boss. Also I had some borrow a pen and drop it on the floor and only said "oops" after I told him he busted it. Several months later he is looking for a pen again and this time a flatly refuse in a stern voice if displeasure.

I keep inexpensive ballpoints and rollerballs with me, so if someone asks "Can I borrow a pen?" I can say, "Sure, here you go, don't worry, just keep it..."

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

I was dressed for a concert and had my '42 Parker vac in my jacket pocket because I am a nerd and thought it looked cool and matched my jacket perfectly. My boss asked me if I a pen. I couldn't say no and handed him the Parker.

He looked at me.

He looked at the pen.

He looked at me again.

Handed me back the pen without using it and said thanks.

hehe.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

Along the same lines:

I still wear a wristwatch and don't use a cellphone. For a growing part of the population, the latter is replacing the former. Yet I am repeatedly asked "can you tell me what time it is?" My response: "time for you to get your own watch". And even more bizarre are the people who want to borrow a total stranger's cellphone (emergency/911 situations excluded). I can't fathom asking a total stranger for anything unless there was some sort of accident/disaster/impending death/you get the idea. I do share my possessions with others. I was just taught that it is rude to ask or demand.

When did everything become community property?

KEEP CALM AND BOOGIE ON!

SILENCE IS GOLDEN, BUT DUCT TAPE IS SILVER.

I have trouble comprehending the rudeness in taking anything, even something so "trivial" as a pen out of someone else's hands without asking. I would react... poorly in such a situation, I fear.

It helps that I'm 6'3" and built like a bear, so people don't generally try taking things from me.

I have been - politely - asked if I could lend a pen, and I have - politely - complied. I generally find it amusing to watch someone trying to use my fountain pens, although I have the advantage of owning only one "high dollar" such - a $25 Schrade tactical. :D

My co-workers refuse to even write with my FP. As to strangers it's much like a pocket knife question. When people ask my borrow my knife I ask them what happened to their knife (I live in the Southeast US and EVERYONE carries a knife).

I'm an architecture student, and I'd say probably half my class uses Lamy Safaris. The other half, Staedtler and Micron fine liners.

So you'd think people would be somewhat familiar. Today I noticed probably half of those using FPs are holding the nibs upside down, or at least sideways. How they haven't figured out the write way to orient the nib is beyond me. I made it known the first week that I'm the resident 'pen guy,' so I'm always the go-to for borrowing.

I keep a couple of Heros (including a 360-degree nib) on my desk specifically for this. Only once did I let someone carefully try my L2K.

I don't blame people for not understanding that FPs need to be treated delicately, but it boggles my mind to mindlessly borrow things of obvious value. Like bmillicent said, I'm all for sharing, but it just seems rude to not even ask. Maybe even more so with $400 smartphones.

And keeping with this sub forum: Last quarter, I shared a desk with someone who took an interest in my pens. I pull out an Ahab. "Wow, cool, is that a Mont Blanc?" Not quite. I start a sketch with an old Rapidograph. "Oh man, I bet drawing with a Mont Blanc is awesome."

Today, I had two MBs out during a team meeting with him. Not a word was said.

10 years on PFN! I feel old, but not as old as my pens.

Inked up: Wing Sung 618 - BSB / PFM III - Kiri-same / Namiki Falcon - Storia Fire / Lamy 2000 - Fuyu-gaki / Sheaffer Triumph - Eclat de Saphir

I would have just said "sorry, I can't lend it to you" if it was a fountain pen. If it wasn't a fountain pen, I wouldn't even be carrying it, so that point is moot.

Fountain pens are like weapons. They just make your pocket bleed so much.

My fear is at airports, where it is very common ground for someone to ask to borrow a pen to complete a passport or landing card.

I havent learned how to say 'no' yet, but I am not prepared to say 'yes' either. So I just go fill my card somewhere far, where I don't get too much attention :blush: