An Ebonite Pen Of Many Bands

Scriptorium Pens

Every now and then a customer creates their own design for a pen from scratch, offering me the chance to step out of my comfort zone into something entirely new. I seldom receive requests for barrel bands, and this one had four, with matching material bands between them, and cap band for added flair. This creative customer chose luxurious Blue Marbled Ebonite for the material and solid brass for the clip and bands. She even provided detailed, to scale drawings to help ensure that I created exactly what she had in mind. The section is made to fit her own Pelikan M600 nib. I wish I had one of those pretty gold nibs for these pictures, but all I have is an M200 steel nib, so you'll have to use your imagination. The filling system is eyedropper only.

Barrel diameter: 13mm

Cap diameter: 15.3mm

Closed length: 141mm

Open length: 129mm

I chose to take photos outdoors this time. All the indoor shots made the lovely blue tones appear all black.

fpn_1421884893__600_custom_blue-marbled_

fpn_1421884940__600_custom_blue-marbled_

fpn_1421884911__600_custom_blue-marbled_

fpn_1421885040__600_custom_blue-marbled_

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scriptorium Pens

• TMLee

• TeaHive

• darrin1200

NICE !

I like the brass rings . .

Nice balance look to it.

The whole pen looks stately .

Well done !

How does the pen look posted ?

Are the bands still visible?

ps , the light coloured sandstone background is throwing off the exposure for the blue marbled ebonite :-)

You need to expose for the ebonite instead :-)

... 671 crafted ... one at a time ... ☺️

instagram

NICE !

I like the brass rings . .

Nice balance look to it.

The whole pen looks stately .

Well done !

How does the pen look posted ?

Are the bands still visible?

ps , the light coloured sandstone background is throwing off the exposure for the blue marbled ebonite :-)

You need to expose for the ebonite instead :-)

Thanks! The pen does not post.

Photography -- I know it's horrible, but at least this sort of shows the pen color better than my indoor shots, which make it look all black. Pictures are taken with my iPhone 5. I have no idea how to change exposures and which backgrounds help and which don't. I am an abysmal failure at photography. :(

I have to say, rippled/marbled ebonite is starting to grow on me. This blue looks fantastic. Another great work! I doff my hat to you!

That is a beautiful pen. The band detail is well executed and perfectly suited to the design.

A question about the brass rings and clip. What did you use as a finish to prevent oxidisation? Did yiu anodize the brass?

I would like to try brass inlay, but I'm concerned about the brass tarnishing.

Darrin McArthur

Timber Elegance ~ Handcrafted Writing Instruments

My Etsy Store

That is a beautiful pen. The band detail is well executed and perfectly suited to the design.

A question about the brass rings and clip. What did you use as a finish to prevent oxidisation? Did yiu anodize the brass?

I find a good polish with Sunshine Cloth (and a wash with soap and water afterwords to get rid of the residues) to be very helpful with all my vintage pens that have brassy parts where the gold wore off long ago. Shines 'em up to look like gold. So that's an option. :) My brand new Kaweco Brass Liliput even came to me partially oxidized/darkened, and I used the Sunshine Cloth yesterday to make her sparkle!

I have to say, rippled/marbled ebonite is starting to grow on me. This blue looks fantastic. Another great work! I doff my hat to you!

OE, I don't think anyone has ever doffed their hat to me!

There's nothing to prevent the brass from tarnishing. It'll just need a little elbow grease every now and then, unless you want a patina.

That's just gorgeous. Lovely ebonite.

How did you make the brass rings and secure them in place?

Thanks! I made the brass rings with a die cutter and sheets of jeweler's brass. After punching out a disc of brass, I drilled it to fit a tenon on the barrel. The outer diameter was turned down to match the ebonite diameter. It's really just a series of tenons with rings on them, with epoxy.

Thanks! The pen does not post.

Photography -- I know it's horrible, but at least this sort of shows the pen color better than my indoor shots, which make it look all black. Pictures are taken with my iPhone 5. I have no idea how to change exposures and which backgrounds help and which don't. I am an abysmal failure at photography. :(

You're doing fine,

you just need to get the hang of taking pics. :-)

How about trying these :

1) There are YouTube clips that demonstrate how to use the phone camera.

Or

2) try this :

Dark coloured backgrounds with dark coloured pens.

and

Light coloured backgrounds with light coloured pens

( if too dark a background, then just try something lighter progressively.

It's one reason I use middle grey for my backgrounds :-)

Ps

1) tap the screen to focus on where you want the focus to be sharp.

2) tap and hold, and you will see a dialogue box pop up. :-)

... 671 crafted ... one at a time ... ☺️

instagram

• 2 weeks later...

After looking at a plethora of custom pen,I think this is very close to what I'd want as my 'dream pen'... <drools>. Great job in the implementation.