Renewing My Confidence In Sailor

Algester

yeah after a very hazardous experience with a Sailor Lecoule I decided to try out having confidence on the brand again so I'm ordering a Sailor standard Pro gear 1 M nib black with silver trim from our Sailor distributor I just hope it isnt the same as the Sailor Lecoule experience... I already dip tested the nib it was fine but I'm not sure how the feeling would last...

yes it's just probably lefties really have their problems

Edited by Algester

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Algester

• churl

• danieln

• dkim87

I see. I too had not-so-great experience with Sailor, mine was a bit more expensive though (a 1911 large). Fortunately it was not beyond repair, I managed to fix the nib and turn it into a solid writer.

Hope your Pro Gear is going to work well.

I am a lefty and I use sailors with no problems. I prefer them over Pilots and Plats, so I don't think it is a lefty issue as much as you make it out to be.

The LeCoule is a basic starter pen. Cheapest end of the Sailor range. Shouldn't be used to benchmark the whole brand! That would be like writing off an Aston Martin because your Ford Ka was badly made.

Verba volant, scripta manent

I think the most common issue I see with Sailor complaints is that the nib experience is a "love it or the it" tactile sensation. Certainly, the higher quality Sailors are better writers, and I have been less than satisfied with the cheap Sailors. So I think that if you haven't experienced a Pro Gear before, don't hold the cheaper pen against it.

actually before I jumped the gun I dip tested a lot of Sailor pens a Profit F, and EF... very... let's just say scratchy but it seems the M nib really fits me... I might check the FM nib if I can get a sample the special nibs dont have any problems though... but... I don't think I can use them.

yes approximately thats about 6 months worth of deep thinking

Edited by Algester

it seems the M nib really fits me... I might check the FM nib if I can get a sample the special nibs don't have any problems though... but... I don't think I can use them.

I hope your M nib is as smooth a writing experience as mine. I enjoy writing with my new PG 2 a little bit more every day!

Good luck!

“My tastes are simple: I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill

actually before I jumped the gun I dip tested a lot of Sailor pens a Profit F, and EF... very... let's just say scratchy but it seems the M nib really fits me... I might check the FM nib if I can get a sample the special nibs dont have any problems though... but... I don't think I can use them.

I would fully agree with churl.

Don't hold the cheaper pens against the higher end pens. I have not yet tried one of sailor's steel nibs so maybe that is why the profits you used were scratchy. But I have a Pro Gear Slim, 1911M, and 1911L in EF, F, and Saibi Togi, and the EF and F are certainly not scratchy. Do they have feedback, sure, but I would never call them scratchy and I would prefer them to my pilot and plat pens. Even the Saibi Togi is comfortable to use.

If you are going to complain about the scratchiness of a nib, it would be best to compare within the same class of nibs.

Anyways. I hope you do enjoy your pen though.

I've been fortunate, I suppose, in that I have had great experiences with pretty much every Sailor nib I have tried thus far, from the HighAce Neo, Clear Candy, Lecoule, Reglus, 1911S, Pro Gear Slim, 1911L, Pro Gear, Precious wood, KOP, Chalana--okay I'll admit it, I'm slightly obsessed with Sailor pens. Mostly because in my experience they've all worked wonderfully! My Sailors have been smooth, reliable writers with a touch of feedback.

I'm sorry to hear about your experiences with Sailor nibs, and I wish you the best of luck on your new pen!

For what it's worth, my Sapporo MF is my favorite pen, while every Sailor under $50 that I own is in my cabinet gathering dust. My experience with Sailor steel nibs are about 50/50 decent writers vs garbage.

The difference between Sailor's MF and M is pretty minimal.

I also had an unfortunate experience with a Sailor 1911 Large broad nib - scratchy noisy nib. I would love to purchase a Pro Gear or perhaps another 1911 Large but I now purchase my Japanese pens directly from sellers located in Japan on eBay and would hate to try to return a less than extraordinary pen through eBay.

I am currently using a Pilot Custom 842 that performed perfectly right out of the box. It is probably unfair to avoid a company based on one bad experience but...

Edited by bhbarto

My KOP 21K medium nib is perfectly smooth. My 1911 standard 14k medium nib, OTOH, is much rougher, and writes a broader, less definite line.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.