Comparing Aurora Black With Perle Niore

Stowford

I had been running out of Aurora Black and looking for an alternative. Not that I didn't enjoy this black, on the contrary. However, I did want to try something new and the alternative became J. Herbin Perle Noire. I couldn't find a direct comparison when researching both these inks, so I thought I'd do one now for anyone looking to compare these two fine blacks for themselves.

I used the last filling worth of Aurora in my Pilot Falcon before cleaning and inking it back up with Perle Noire. I'm afraid I haven't gone into any great detail in the review, but flexed the pen a bit, hopefully to show the colour and property of each ink as they perform under such condition.

Hope it is useful:

post-112437-0-10124800-1421832950_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stowford

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stowford

• TSherbs

• Narnian

• senzen

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you for the comparison!

Also, please consider that Perle Noire has better water resistance than Aurora.

Thanks for this comparison. I am considering a new black and was deciding between these exact two inks. It was very helpful.

I think I'm going to give Perle Noire a shot.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

I always thought, prior to FPN, that black was black and that was that.

I am now in awe of the large differences in black ink, how they flow, how they look etc.

Thanks for the comparison.

Be Happy, work at it. Namaste

J85909266, I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Perle Niore, but if I had to choose, to be honest I'd stick with the Aurora Black. A little bit better behaved, and with a velvety flow that gave better line variation in my Pilot Falcon.

I was thinking a couple of days ago that the one colour I don't have is black... Since quink comes out grey. And these were the two contenders. Another one for J herbin then!

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

J. Herbin is nice when dry and has a great colour, but flows too heavily out of the nib and takes a long time to dry. The Aurora flows perfectly for me and is a velvety smooth, beautiful black. I'll be getting another bottle of it soon.

Just ordered a bottle of Perle Noire yesterday, not that expensive here (7€/30ml).

Now have to order a pen to match the ink !

The downside of Perle Noire in this case is the J. Herbin bottle, users should be fond of syringes or owners of decent inkwells or better empty bottles.

A very useful review indeed, thank you!
Thanks also for the valuable comments on the flow, water resistance, and behavior when dry.
Now, I am off to finding a comparison between JH Perle Noire, and Sheaffer skrip black!

Everything is impermanent.

• 11 months later...

Lovely comparison! I have a sample of Aurora in a couple of pens now, and was debating between the Perle Noire and Pelikan 4001 black to test next. Think I will try the Perle Noire. It definitely looks blacker in your sample, but it will be interesting to see how it behaves with a fine nib.

ETA: Hope no one minds an old thread being bumped. Found it helpful!

Edited by Narnian

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me." - C.S. Lewis

How odd, that I don't have Perle Niore. I heard that it was blacker than Aurora, but never found a side by side comparison until now. While I don't need a black ink to be pitch black, I do find it a curious thing a J. Herbin ink, from its regular line, is that dark.

I guess it's time to pick me up a bottle.

Ink, a drug.

― Vladimir Nabokov, Bend Sinister

Instagram:
a.transient.life

Just started playing with Perle Noire today and I love it! Flow is great, and it definitely looks blacker than Aurora. I'm using it in an Esterbrook SJ 9550 nib (which is very close in line width to my Pilot Prera fine), and it is still nice and black, vs. some black inks that look a bit washed out when used with a fine nib.

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me." - C.S. Lewis

Just started playing with Perle Noire today and I love it! Flow is great, and it definitely looks blacker than Aurora. I'm using it in an Esterbrook SJ 9550 nib (which is very close in line width to my Pilot Prera fine), and it is still nice and black, vs. some black inks that look a bit washed out when used with a fine nib.

I find it too wet in a few of my pens, but it is a great ink (and ironic that it is wet, as it is a J Herbin ink)