Pilot Custom 823 Medium. Which Ink Should I Use In It?

Tassy

After receiving some excellent advice, through FPN, I ended up buying a Pilot Custom 823 Medium nib, in black..

I have just received my new pen from Japan, and was wondering what is the best ink to use in it....

I have got a supply of Parker Quink, and Sheafer Skrimp...

I know that some pens write better with different inks. I also don't want an ink, that will stain the pen...

I am interested in getting some advice from other Custom 823 owners...

Many thanks again. Tassy.

Edited by Tassy

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dr.Grace

• Tassy

• Earthdawn

• The Good Captain

I've the 'amber' one, with a Fine nib. So far I've been using Cult Pens/Diamine Deep Dark Brown in it. Looks great and is fantastic with the pen.

However, I'd say that there's nothing to beat one's own personal taste.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

I like the Iroshizuku inks myself, but in any case you can simply try out the inks you have.

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

I've never found an ink that stained my 823's. However, your Quink and Skrip are known to be among the safest inks around.

Fill your pen and enjoy!

I can also recommend Aurora black and Aurora blue.

Best Regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

I'm really enjoying PIlot Iroshizuku Asa-Gao in my 823. It's the only ink I've used in it so far, though...

Pilot Custom 823, Pelikan M600, Platinum 3776 Century (x2), Pelikan 400NN, Sailor 1911L, Pilot Elite 95s, TWSBI Vac 700, Noodler's Neponset, Hero 9018.

I have only used Pilot black in mine (which came with the pen). Not a fan of quinck. Note there is a post around about how Pilot pens prefer japanese inks. Something about Japanese ink being alkaline vs western ones being acidic.

Edited by parnesh

I recently purchased a Pilot 742 with a medium nib. I am currently using PIlot Iroshizuku Asa-Gao in the pen with great success, and I also have a bottle of Pilot Iroshizuku Ku-Jaku I will rotate. Great flow and lubrication, highly recommended.

I received my pilot 823 last week (amber with medium nib) and have used Iroshizuku Asa Gao, R&K Salix, and now Iroshizuku Shin Kai. All write beautifully in this pen, even the usually dry Salix. I'm sticking with the Shin Kai for now as I really like the colour. I haven't used another pen since getting the 823 and I'm already thinking of getting another 823 and getting it converted to a stub nib. It's a great pen and for me, worth every cent. Getting back to the original poster's question - I'd recommend any Iroshizuku Ink based on my limited experience so far but anything will probably be ok in this great pen.

Edited by rickygene

Thank you all, for taking the time to comment on my post, and your advice regarding which ink to use in my new Pilot 823. It has been very helpful.

I have decided to go for the Tsuki-yo "Moonlight" Iroshizuku Ink, as it seems by your comments, it is an excellent ink to use with this pen.

Thank you all again for your help, it is very much appreciated...

Regards Tassy.

I used Montblanc Toffee Brown in mine with wonderful results. The second fill will probably be an Iroshizuku ink though. Tsuki-Yo is in my Lamy 2000. It's a wonderful blue-teal ink. I'm sure you'll love it.

I've used both the MB Toffee Brown and Pilot's "Horsetail" in my Amber 823 w/broad nib. The Horsetail shades beautifully, but since it seems to have better flow, or is wetter, the line my pen lays down isn't as precise as what the Toffee Brown was. The line was just cleaner with the Toffee. I'm about to try MB Leonardo Red in it. It just sucks up so much ink, and I only have 30 precious ML of the Leonardo.

Good luck with yours, it's a fantastic pen.

I enjoy MB 146 pens, Sailor, Pilot and Platinum pens as well. I have a strong attraction to dark red and muted green ink, colors I dislike for everything but FP ink. I also enjoy practicing my handwriting and attempting to improve it. I love the feel of quality paper under a gold nib.

I've used pretty well everything in my Amber 823. The only exception would be Baystate Blue. I've had no problems with even Noodlers Navy which is my preferred blue. The thing about the 823 - the barrel can be cleaned with some ammonia and a cotton swab. Enjoy.

It's true that you can clean the barrel this way, but I'd advise against unscrewing the section on the 823. Some people, including me, have ended up cracking the barrel when reassembling the pen.

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776