Journals....do You Prefer Dots, Lined, Or Blank? Do You Skip Lines?

PerryJ

Lined or grid. Never skip lines. My handwriting is a jumbled mess any way I write, skipping lines is not going to help.

:)

Jim Couch

Portland, OR

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Katana Paul

• ______Zaphod_Beeblebrox

• tinta

• Drawing61

I prefer either dotted or blank for my papers. I think that lines/grids are to "busy", but the dots are perfect. I like blank for things other than notes/creative writing/drawing.

A fountain pen a day keeps the ballpoints away!

Signed,

The Majestic One

:W2FPN:

Blank (unlined) - but I cheat.

I have printed out three or four guider sheets with different line spacings each, and use those under the page. Even though the paper is quite thick, I get enough of a ghost see through of the guider sheet that I can keep more or less level. I admit I had to print out rather strong lines.

These guider sheets are cut to perfect size for my notebook and stored at the back of the book. Depending on the pen I use - or rather, the nib size - I need to adjust my handwriting for larger or smaller. That is why I have different spacing in the guider sheets.

"These guider sheets are cut to perfect size for my notebook and stored at the back of the book. Depending on the pen I use - or rather, the nib size - I need to adjust my handwriting for larger or smaller. That is why I have different spacing in the guider sheets."

I use the same guider sheets, liners, for blank writing pads. It is the only way I can tame my writing on a blank page.

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

For some odd reason, try as I might, I can't seem to write on blank paper, so I like my journal lined. I bought several blank journals and just can't seem to mentally start writing on the blank page.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I prefer blank paper but also use lined. I want the paper to be whitd and not cream but have not yet found a notebook with white blank paper.

I prefer unlined journals. I write somewhat small and manage my "neatness" fairly well. Good for a random sketch. For lined I prefer wider lines. I have several lined Moleskines and the lines are really too close together. I will probably break my regular practice and start skipping lines in those journals. It starts to get laborious to fill one of those journals and then I really want to use a different one.

Dots. 1.3 lines per centimeter. I print and bind my own using HP 32# laser paper. Right now 144 pages per journal. I do switch around though. I just finished a Rhodia web notebook. The cream paper and slightly different line width made an interesting change

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

I've always used lined paper, but right now I'm trying out a Field Notes Pitch Black notebook, which has light gray dots. I'd never used dots before, and I think I like them. To be fair, I've only used them for to-do lists and such so far. No serious writing. I'll have to try that soon, though.

I have some Rhodia dots in notebook form enroute from a stationary supplier. They'll be the most expensive dots I've ever bought! :yikes:

Montblanc Classique 145, Waterman Laureat, Waterman Hemisphere, Lamy Safari

My prefs: Grid for sure. But lined works. Blank is a chore, but suitable for some things.

I'd love to find Rhodia dots in anything other than a stapled pad. The notes I take in meetings just can't fall out or be easily removed and I really need a book type arrangement. All I can find is lined and squares, or blank.

Goulet has spiral top Rhodia DotPads. I just ordered some. :)

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

I prefer dot grids for just about everything. With a little bit of getting used to them, they offer very nearly the same practical benefits as both lined paper and graph paper, a few unique benefits of their own (such as being equally suited to writing both vertically and horizontally without a bunch of lines intersecting your lettering), and, in exchange for offering less guidance than unbroken lines or a solid grid, dot grids are much less obtrusive than either.

I'm awful at keeping my regular handwriting straight and aligned on plain paper, but am much better at it when it comes to calligraphy, so I do enjoy using blank paper for calligraphy and drawing.

Edited by Blaine

Dots for my regular writing pad. At the moment, lines for journaing but I've noticed that my writing is much straighter than it used to be when I write on blank paper. Probably all the practice I've gotten since switching to fountain pens in the last few years. I'll probably switch to blank paper soon.

Another vote for dot grid, although my favorite journal makers don't offer a dot grid. But I bought a pad of Rhodia dot paper and fell in love, and even started the DIY dot grid thread. I'm using the Rhodia for letters until further notice, whereas my journaling, until I can either a) afford to buy dot grid notebooks ($$$), or B) learn to make my own by hand, will be lined.

Although it occurs to me that an 80-pg pad of Rhodia A4 dot grid paper, when made into a journal, would have 160 sheets (320 pages?) of dot gridded paper for $10 and some effort..... hmmmm....

(I like the open feeling of dot grids, but my handwriting is (bleep). When I write in a blank journal I feel some freedom, but I also write horrendously large and am aghast at how many pages I use. I need the structure, but like the openness of the dots.)

Girl Sam

(It used to be Sammi with a heart drawn over the I, but I stopped because absolutely everyone was doing it)

Goulet has spiral top Rhodia DotPads. I just ordered some. :)

Thanks, but Goulet is the wrong side of the pond for me. I've just paid a whole heap of ££ for an A5 dot grid webnotebook - very nice, but I can't see me buying many of those for general note taking!

Montblanc Classique 145, Waterman Laureat, Waterman Hemisphere, Lamy Safari