Proper Pen For The Desk Set

dmmay

I have spend time mainly with Esterbrooks pens, but I have recently become interested in the world of Walh Eversharp pens (I am truly a novice here). I bought this simple little fountain pen holder but it does not have a pen. As I have read in various places on this forum, there are different sizes of pens for these holders. Is there a way to know what the correct pen size would be for this one? Of course the next set would be to buy the pen. I have worked with replacing sacs on Esterbrooks. Are there many differences with replacing sacs on Walh Eversharps? Many thanks for insights.

David

post-89248-0-79851700-1421707452_thumb.png

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dmmay

• Ted F

• ihimlen

• Roger W.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Diameters change dependent mostly on time period. Find an early Wahl desk pen and you should be alright as I bet this was made in the 1930's in answer to Sheaffer's streamlined socket of 1930. Wahl, Parker and Sheaffer were working together as they had formed the Pen Desk Set Company at the end of 1928. By then Sheaffer was using one diameter and Wahl was likely doing the same. So if you are period correct you will be diameter correct. My last Wahl ad is 1931 and the socket style is later than that. The turned base is very 1930's.

Roger W.

This type of humidor will accept the slim Wahl-Eversharp desk pen model with double bands around the lever, no Gold Seal emblem and no. 2 Wahl-Eversharp nib (these nibs usually have WAHL name above Eversharp lettering arranged in a 'wave' banner - like on this nib but sans the "Gold Seal" imprint - just "Wahl Eversharp" and 2 underneath).

i.

ihimlen

www.opiorach.blogspot.com

www.forumopiorach.net

• 4 weeks later...

Based on the replies, I have been looking for several weeks for a pen to fit the desk set in the above postings. Would this pen be the one?

Many Thanks,

David

post-89248-0-03688100-1423782681.png

post-89248-0-68254600-1423782713.png

Good luck with your search. I started off with a Wahl Eversharp pen stuck inside a Sheaffer desk set. I ordered a WE pen holder for the pen, and a Sheaffer pen for the holder. I got the Sheaffer right, but the WE set was too large. I found another WE holder on Ebay and emailed the seller to check on size. He was wrong, and I've got another holder, plus another WE desk pen. I finally ordered a WE set, complete with a pen that looks just like mine, but needing a nib repair and new sac, thinking I would just set the bent nip pen aside and only use mine. I couldn't let go of it, and sent it out for repair.

I now own four complete fountain pen desk sets.

Its a strange way to become a collector, but I have some really nice pens.

Never argue with drunks or crazy people.

• 2 weeks later...

Based on the replies, I have been looking for several weeks for a pen to fit the desk set in the above postings. Would this pen be the one?

Many Thanks,

David

Nope - this one has a larger barrel diameter. Look for this model (attached - nicked from an online auction). If you find one like that with Gold Seal emblem it'll be too large - go for those without it.

i.

post-15949-0-54752700-1424611715_thumb.jpg

post-15949-0-80981300-1424611721_thumb.jpg

Edited by ihimlen

ihimlen

www.opiorach.blogspot.com

www.forumopiorach.net

• 2 weeks later...

I'm curious, I have a couple of Eversharp Desk Sets (one pictured below) with an Onyx base and the other one has a round crystal base. Both pens I believe were very inexpensive at the time but what I was wondering about is do they have a model name and during what period were they produced? Both pens are identical except the crystal base pen has a 14K nib (Manifold Fine) and the one illustrated does not although it is gold colored.

Edited by Ted F

This is a photo of the Crystal Desk Set. As I said, the two pens are identical except for the nib.

I got this in the original box which was nice.

Edited by Ted F

• 3 weeks later...

I found an old ad that was put in a newspaper by a dealer. It advertises the Slim Eversharp Ventura pen. One little spot on the ad shows a very small line drawing of a desk pen. The ad reads: "Handsome Crystal Ventura Dest Set. Solid crystal base holds stunning Ventura Pen designed to complement any desk, home or office. A superb gift - $12.50"

What did a Ventura desk pen look like?

The crystal desk set I have (after you read the little booklet) is simply made of glass; or I should say, "Eversharp Crystal".

• 4 weeks later...

• Member - Silver
  • silver_member.png
    bullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 19:12

Many Thanks,

David

Attached Images
  • post-89248-0-68254600-1423782713.png
  • post-89248-0-03688100-1423782681.png

Just saw this at a local antique shop for $35. Nib looked in excellent condition as did the pen body. I'm assuming it will still need to be cleaned and the sac replaced. Is $35 a fair price?

Nope - this one has a larger barrel diameter. Look for this model (attached - nicked from an online auction). If you find one like that with Gold Seal emblem it'll be too large - go for those without it.

i.

I have two WE desk pens like this, but with the Gold Seal emblems. They go with a base of jade. One pen came with the set, and the other I found through the old Pen Fancier's Club. (I know, I am dating myself.)

These are wonderful, functioning pens, but they both are gushers, which limits their utility, and ends up with the holders full of ink. Can they be readjusted so that the flexibility of the nibs can be utilized, and they won't leak all over the place?

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.