Sheaffer Craftsman Feed Blocked/clogged?

drwright

Hello,

I recently purchased a Sheaffer Craftsman in a pen lot and have been trying to get it back to working order. I installed a fresh sac, then I ran soapy water and clean water through the pen, until the water coming out of the pen was clear. After filling the pen with ink, it writes EXTREMELY dry, to the point that ink flow seems restricted/blocked. It writes normally only when I apply much more pressure on the nib than should be necessary for a fountain pen.

I've tried opening up the nib slightly with brass shim, but that hasn't seemed to help.

Also of note, the touchdown mechanism seems to take slightly more force/pressure than other TD mechanisms I've used.

So, is my feed partially clogged with old, dried ink? If so, what's the best remedy?

Thanks,

Dan

Edit: added photo

post-72980-0-90028500-1421697180_thumb.jpg

Edited by drwright

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• drwright

• 3rdlakerobert

• GG917

• Oslowe

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You could force some water or pen flush through the section with an ear squeeze bulb to start. A soak overnight in a 10% ammonia solution would be good.

If that doesn't do it, perhaps the nib and feed are in need of a reset.

1. Pull them from the section and clean thoroughly.You'll need a knockout block to remove them, but you can make crude one by drilling the right size hole through a piece of 2" thick wood.
  2. Then heat some water in the microwave to hot but not boiling.
  3. Partially insert the nib and feed in the section and swirl the section in the hot water for maybe 30 seconds.
  4. Remove from water and push the nib and feed all the way in.

The heat should help the nib and feed conform properly.

After that, if the pen is still dry, you need to adjust the tines to open them a little. If the shim didn't work, you are now at the risky stage of attempting to open them by bending them back a little. Trial and error.

Thanks for the advice. I had just put a fresh sac on the pen, so I was hoping to be able to get the pen up and running without having to remove the sac. I'll give it a try with the ammonia solution first.

If you know someone with a jewelry cleaner, you could put the section in it with the 10% amonia solution. Also try a different ink. Some inks are just better flowing.

If the flow is good with the tines spread wider when pressing harder, I suggest slightly increasing the tine gap.

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

The Tip Dip-type of nibs are in a collar and unscrew from the section. The feed arrangement is very similar to the Snorkel, except that the central tube does not move. It does however extend at the back so if you try to knock the nib and feed with a conventional punch you'll cruch it.

the proble is the same as with snorkel: when you flush the pen the water does not goes into the feed but through the central tube. So it is possible for the water to came out of the pen clear but the ink channel of the feed being still clogged. Try to sonicate the nib assembly into 10% ammonia, usually that works perfectly. As Daniel mention, it may as be possible that your nib assembly is clean and what you need is to adjust the flow by spreading the tines.

The Tip Dip-type of nibs are in a collar and unscrew from the section. The feed arrangement is very similar to the Snorkel, except that the central tube does not move. It does however extend at the back so if you try to knock the nib and feed with a conventional punch you'll cruch it.

the proble is the same as with snorkel: when you flush the pen the water does not goes into the feed but through the central tube. So it is possible for the water to came out of the pen clear but the ink channel of the feed being still clogged. Try to sonicate the nib assembly into 10% ammonia, usually that works perfectly. As Daniel mention, it may as be possible that your nib assembly is clean and what you need is to adjust the flow by spreading the tines.

Arrgh! I should have looked at the photos!

Yes, please do not knock out the feed/nib. :yikes: Unscrew and sonicate. If necessary, remove nib from feed holder and spread tines a little with backward pressure. Tips should just touch and the slit should allow light to pass from the breather up to the tipping through the gradually narrowing slit. View with a loupe.

I thought these nib units were supposed to unscrew, but havent been able to unscrew it - it's stuck. I'll try the ammonia soak, and may be able to borrow a sonicator to try, as well.

Arrgh! I should have looked at the photos!

Yes, please do not knock out the feed/nib. :yikes: Unscrew and sonicate. If necessary, remove nib from feed holder and spread tines a little with backward pressure. Tips should just touch and the slit should allow light to pass from the breather up to the tipping through the gradually narrowing slit. View with a loupe.

I didn't add the photo until after you had already posted :)

I buy and sell on eBay and have had a few of these Tip Dips. Most of the nib/feed units are stuck, but a few days in the sonic cleaner will usually loosen them. I just put them in and leave them in it on the bench. When I think of it, I reach over and punch the button. They get a dose of sonic waves many times a day and I check them periodically. As a lasr resort I may use a heat gun but I wouldn't recomment that to anyone unless you have a IR thermometer (cheap on eBay). Keep the temperature below 135 and be patient.

When you unscrew the point out, remember that, unlike the Esterbrook, Sheaffer used a gasket to prevent weeping as shown in this Cadet photo. Worth a check. My last one was totally dessicated as shown on the card in the foreground. That is a crude cutter I made from brass tubing -- with a new gasket on the nib unit.

- Oslowe

fpn_1422249417__sheaffer-cadet-gasket-cu

I beg to remain, Sir or Madam, your most humble, historical valediction using, and obedient servant, Oslowe