Waterman 32 1/2 Clipless Ink Flow Diagnosis

Intellidepth

Hi, I'm brand new to vintage pens and have received a cute Waterman 32 1/2 with ink flow issues.

If dipped, the feed/nib works just fine. The lever/fill system seems to work just fine also. However once the nib/feed runs out of ink, it doesn't seem to be drawing from the supply in the sac.

The seller has suggested I soak the section in warm soapy water overnight to try to loosen the nib/feed to explore that avenue. But I have read of issues with sections made from BHR being soaked in water and oxidizing, so am cautious. Do I need to be concerned? I have demineralised water available.

Is the nib/feed on the 32 1/2 friction fit or have a threaded carrier please? The pen is green celluloid but has a black section. (I'm exceptionally new to this, obviously. I think it's friction but don't want to destroy the section through ignorance.)

An extra issue. The celluloid barrel has a crack through the threads near the section that appears to have been shellac'd or glued in place. The seller didn't say whether he'd shellac'd this particular repair, but said he never glues but does use shellac. So I'm exceptionally cautious about even trying to think about separating the section from the barrel to explore ink issues via that avenue. Again, would this be friction fit or threaded?

Ideas/suggestions/recommendations please? Thanks.

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Intellidepth

• Cepasaccus

• RMN

Top Posters In This Topic

Just noticed the repair forum, do my questions belong there please?

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

Just noticed the repair forum, do my questions belong there please?

Indeed they seem more appropriate there.

I will teleport your topic....

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Let me answer some questions of yours.

If the nib runs out of ink it could be that there is a gap between the nib and the feed. You can check this by trying to slide a business card of sheet of paper between both. That should not be easily possible. Unfortunately pen dealers often do not check that.

BHR does only have problem with water if it was exposed to light for a long time. Normally pens are stored capped and so often the section is still black but the rest of the pen is faded. Indeed I have never had a feed which reacted visibly to water. Just use tap water. I am sure you wont repeatedly put drops of water onto the feed and let it dry there.

I don't know this type of pen, but my guess is that the nib/feed and section is most probably friction fit. Often the section is glued to the barrel with shellac. Making it a bit warm should help, but not to warm because of the celluloid. When disassembling you can just try to turn the section like it would be threaded. That works for both, friction fit and threaded.

The crack should probably better have been glued carefully with acetone. Maybe the shellac can be removed to make it possible to reglue with acetone.

Cepasaccus

Thank you D.ick for the teleportation and Cepasaccus for your thoughts and help. I'll have a look at the feed positioning tomorrow and go from there. That might well be the problem.

• 3 weeks later...

The paper did slide between the nib and feed, and I still can't get the nib and feed out.

However the problem has become temporarily moot as after using it as a dip nib and flushing out the sac every so often for the last month just because, it seems to be holding and delivering ink just nicely :)! Maybe something was stuck/dried somewhere.

It's been really lovely to use it as a fountain pen the last 2 days.

I think when this ink sac gives up I may send it to a local expert for its first real attempt at disassembly under my ownership.

Meanwhile, I am thankful to have learned what has been shared here as it may very easily be relevant for my future vintage purchases.

The feed can be adjusted with some heat. Something like a hair dryer can be used or, probably more safely, with hot water. You can dip nib and feed for 10-20s into previously boiled water. Then pull it out and press the feed to the nib and let it cool to fix the form. You might want to put something between your fingers and the hot feed/nib, but it is actually not so bad. The feed should sit after this at the nib, but not to far. If the feed sits not correctly you can repeat this process many times.

Thanks, yet again :)