La Pen Show Registration Question

Fwdlib

Hello--I'm a first time pen show attendee hoping to go to the LA show in February. I noticed there's a general admission for $6 but only gets you in Saturday seminars and the Sunday show. There's a trader's registration for people who want to sell, but they can also attend the show on Thursday and Friday. Is it worth paying the $50+ to have access to the earlier days of the show, or should I save it toward buying an actual pen instead on Sunday?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JonSzanto

• Ecriveur

• FarmBoy

• avcamp

The pen won't be there on Sunday. Somebody else will have bought it, or the dealer will have packed up his or her table. If you wait till Sunday to save that money, you won't even get to see whatever pen disappeared. If you pay and go sooner, you might get a chance to see some, even if you don't buy them.

Also, it seems to me that getting into the Saturday seminars is a new thing added onto buying the Sunday ticket early. And the trader pass price seems lower than I remember. If you are there, pay and go.

I went last year for the first time. I had read that Sunday tended to be absolutely mobbed and that it was worth the extra to go earlier when you could actually look at things, talk to people, etc.

I went Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Thursday was rather slow and poorly attended, but I had an absolute ball Friday and Saturday. I was able to spend considerable time learning the different Nakaya finishes and trying the various nibs at John Mottishaw's testing table. As a result, I bought my first Nakaya. I enjoyed talking to so many people I had met at other shows - an opportunity that apparently doesn't exist Sunday due to extreme crowds.

The NorCal/SoCal pen posse people allowed this Midwesterner to infiltrate their dinner and they were all most gracious and friendly. Someone (whose name I can't remember) gave me a baggie with five or so samples of various blue inks (my favorite color) which I had not experienced before. One (Sailor Kobe Island Blue) has become my all time favorite ink.

I can't wait to go back this year - Friday and Saturday for me.

If you want to learn a lot and have tons of fun, go for the trader pass, selling or no. You'll see the contrast between the weekdays and the weekend. Worth every penny.

Watch out for those Posse people though, they are enablers of the highest order.

MB JFK BB; 100th Anniversary M; Dumas M FP/BP/MP set; Fitzgerald M FP/BP/MP set; Jules Verne BB; Bernstein F; Shaw B; Schiller M; yellow gold/pearl Bohème Pirouette Lilas (custom MB-fitted EF); gold 744-N flexy OBB; 136 flexy OB; 236 flexy OBB; silver pinstripe Le Grand B; 149 F x2; 149 M; 147 F; 146 OB; 146 M; 146 F; 145P M; 162 RB

Okay, I'm convinced to pay more to be able to attend the earlier days. I would be sad to see many dealers had packed up already!

Sunday will be a mob scene, with a long line just to get in. Get the trader pass and you'll actually have time to talk to the vendors and other people at the show. Totally worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

This year is my second LA Pen Show. I did the Sunday only last year (but did go to Sat. seminars). This year, no question, registered for trader pass and going Friday, Sat and Sun. Reason I am going Sunday, among other reasons, is winner must be present for the raffle for the Delta Vatican Museum pen.

I am a beginner with a modest budget (150 or so). I am not going for any high profile items, just some new inks and possibly a new pen.

Do you think the Sunday badge will be fine for me?

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I want all the things x_x

If your budget is $150, do you really want to spend $65 on a trader pass? (Price went from 55 to 65 on the 1st) As a first timer last year who did Sunday only, I would now almost always say trader pass but you may be the exception if it is going to knock out 43% of your budget.

If your budget is $150, do you really want to spend $65 on a trader pass? (Price went from 55 to 65 on the 1st) As a first timer last year who did Sunday only, I would now almost always say trader pass but you may be the exception if it is going to knock out 43% of your budget.

The budget would be excluding the ticket cost! :P Sorry, I didn't make that clear.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I want all the things x_x

I'm getting the trader pass and I'm not even going to stick around for Sunday.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

I'm getting the trader pass and I'm not even going to stick around for Sunday.

Think we can finish the bottle before you leave?

(INK people. Geeze, give a guy a break, I know what you are thinking.)

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Think we can finish the bottle before you leave?

Duh.

BTW: I kept tracking the Marriott for openings (as Thu was sold out earlier) and I have now corrected my bookings. This means I only have to work up the energy to trash one hotel room on the visit instead of two.

(PLEASE, people. These are all metaphors. Mostly.)

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

I've heard about these people who hang out with rock bands...

MB JFK BB; 100th Anniversary M; Dumas M FP/BP/MP set; Fitzgerald M FP/BP/MP set; Jules Verne BB; Bernstein F; Shaw B; Schiller M; yellow gold/pearl Bohème Pirouette Lilas (custom MB-fitted EF); gold 744-N flexy OBB; 136 flexy OB; 236 flexy OBB; silver pinstripe Le Grand B; 149 F x2; 149 M; 147 F; 146 OB; 146 M; 146 F; 145P M; 162 RB

I just discovered a rather big drag: in years past, the "Trader" pass fee allowed you to list one "spouse/assistant", and for the single fee you would both be able to attend. I confirmed this with my records. I sent an email, as well as mailing a payment, and got an email back indicating that if I wanted a 2nd person to have entry (an assistant or spouse), we would have to pay another Trader's Pass fee.

That's a bit much, considering that we both got in before. Not fun.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Fortunately I live in LA so I won't have to spend a nickel on hotel rooms to go to the show.

We are all paying for a hotel room. To keep the books straight I propose you buy the first few bottles.

Mr. Speaker, can I get a second on this motion?

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I just discovered a rather big drag: in years past, the "Trader" pass fee allowed you to list one "spouse/assistant", and for the single fee you would both be able to attend. I confirmed this with my records. I sent an email, as well as mailing a payment, and got an email back indicating that if I wanted a 2nd person to have entry (an assistant or spouse), we would have to pay another Trader's Pass fee.

That's a bit much, considering that we both got in before. Not fun.

My assistant is 6 years old. If he needs a pass I'll give him a pen and paper and he will make one. If I don't show up when I'm summonsed by my better half I doubt anyone at the gate will be very successful with the 'do you have a pass' routine.

Spouses (both female and male) put up with our pen nonsense, exile them and it gets pretty easy for money to leave the room as in I'm not allowed to go. Money leaves the room and sellers get board.

My rule is civilian other-halfs are free noting there are a few 'I don't know who is a bigger nut' couples out there.

You can quote me-These things always work themselves out.

Mr. Speaker, can I get a second on this motion?

Certainly, but we have just one second left. Use it wisely.

http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp139/johnhughthom/timebomb.jpg

~ Benjamin Franklin

The budget would be excluding the ticket cost! :P Sorry, I didn't make that clear.

Well, in that case, definitely go the trader pass route!!