Inoxcrom - A Tale Of Toughness

Ana_

I have an Inoxcrom fountain pen that I bought back in 2002 when I was studying at UWS in Wales. I used it to take all my class notes the year I was there and it was the first fountain pen that i'd bought both abroad and as an adult so it was special to me. Unfortunately, upon returning stateside and unpacking and life, I packed the pen away somewhere without removing the ink or flushing it out. Total rookie mistake. I came across the pen again 6 months ago and reconnected with the memories and really wanted to start using it again as my everyday rugged steed. I removed the dead cartridge, and soaked the feeder in water for a week, let it dry, re-inked, and nothing. I tried a couple more weeks of soaking and nothing so I put it away again. This past mid November I decided to give it the old college try... and soaked the feeder again, intending for a week. This time I forgot I had the feeder in water and only just remembered it 2 weeks ago. It had been soaking for about 7 weeks. I dried the feeder overnight after removing it from water and popped in an Inoxcrom cartridge, I began writing on an 8 1/2 x 11" paper and as I was 5 lines from the bottom it began to write! I was so excited. After writing for 3 lines, it began to write without skipping. It is 2 weeks later and I have written through an entire cartridge, it has been writing flawlessly like a champ! Zero hard starts, zero leaking. After 12 1/2 years of being put away with dried ink, and a gunk encrusted feeder, then soaked, this tough little Inoxcrom is once again flawless. :)

Edited by Ana_

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ana_

• basterma

• RyanM

• mhguda

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

People can say what they will about cartridge/converter pens, but cleaning them is a breeze! I got a Parker 45 at an antique store once. Still had the original cartridge in it, and the pen dated back to the 60's. Removed the cartridge, let it soak for a while, ran some water through, and the thing works.

"Oh deer."

Can we see pictures of it? I have an Inoxcrom Fountain Pen which I really like too! It works flawlessly, and I haven't ever had the situation you had, but I can tell that mine would be the same.

Hi Ben, I have to agree about the durability/stability of these pens! My inoxcrom (and my safari Lamy's for that matter) can write on the cheapest of papers and I love that. They not only glide right through, they also do not raise the cheap paper in their tines. That's a great story about the 60's Parker 45! Good to know, thank you.

Ryan, I will take some photos of my Inoxcrom and do a writing sample with it. I'm sure your Inoxcrom would handle the same, I have to say, they are the best value for the everyday and I really love how they write. I sincerely get as much enjoyment writing with my Inoxcrom as I do with my Pelikan and it can write on rougher surfaces so I don't have to buy the higher grade silkier papers to use it with. It's great to have an everyday! Pictures to follow in the next day or two. :)

Ryan,

I meant to ask you, as you have an Inoxccrom as well, do you use an international cartridge or the Inoxcrom brand of ink cartridges? Also, do you know of a cartridge converter for the Inoxcrom mini's? And lastly if you have a moment, would you mind posting a photo of yours? :)

I've always heard good things about Inoxcrom...though I've never seen them for sale. I really would like to buy one sometime.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.

Mark Twain

I have five Inoxcroms. One of them has the same nib and fee and it is awesome. It beads ink beautifully. I have another short pen called the Poeme that is one of the best writers I have. However two others are reluctant writers, that are frustrating to use.

That's an interesting looking pen. The cap reminds me of Jetpens' Chibi. I like the section a lot. Is it comfortable? It looks a bit like soft rubber or latex. Is it?

Runswithsharppens:

I would imagine in Ireland you would be able to find them in your waterstones or stationary type shops? When I was living in the UK they did have them in stationary shops. In the US I have never seen them in a store and I have searched every art and stationary shop I know of. I have seen them on ebay and this is the only place I know of where they can be purchased online. I have gone to the Inoxcrom website but it sincerely preplexes me. It seems to only be for mass purchasing by shop owners? Try ebay & best of luck :)

Basterma:

Yes, Inoxcrom's are awesome! I jokingly say that they could write across wood. It feels that unstoppable. Is the Poeme an Inoxcrom too? Try soaking the reluctant writer's in a jar of water for 7 weeks, it could surprise you! If you wouldn't mind, I'd love to see a photo of your 5 Inoxcroms. Do you use the Inoxcrom cartridges with your pens or do you use an international cartridge? I'm curious because all the sites i've visited claim that international cartridges are totally compatible with Inoxcrom, but when I tried to use one, it leaked on the sides, so I ended up purchasing the Inoxcrom brand cartridges and then when empty just reinject them if I want ink variety.

CleosMama:

I've never seen Jetpens Chibi?? I dare not look until next month... lol i'm far too avid a Jetpens buyer and i've already ordered from them this week (Pilot Prera FP). I do love the style of that wide clip, it just feels decadent to me. The section is very comfortable, I want to say it's rubber, but that's me guessing. How would one tell the difference between rubber and latex?

Edited by Ana_

The Pome is the stylish elder sibling of your pen. Small size, all metal, with a different feed. I will try and post pictures as soon as I figure it out... The Great Firewall of China blocks Flickr and many other photo sharing websites, which complicates posting pictures here.. I highly recommend the Poeme though.

I have used numerous brands of International cartridges in the pens with no problems at all. Schneider, Wilson, Maped, Pelikan, Rotring and MontBlanc, to name a few. The 77 is so slim, that converters don't fit in it, but that's my only issue so far. I have had Inoxcroms of one kind or another since the Mid-80's...

Ryan,

I meant to ask you, as you have an Inoxccrom as well, do you use an international cartridge or the Inoxcrom brand of ink cartridges? Also, do you know of a cartridge converter for the Inoxcrom mini's? And lastly if you have a moment, would you mind posting a photo of yours? :)

Hey Ana,

Here are my two Inoxcrom pens. One is a Fountain Pen and one is a Ballpoint.

In terms of a converter, I have found that the Waterman converters fit really well into my Wall Street. So Waterman Cartridges also fit well.

Honestly, the only reason I never bought an Inoxcorom mini was that I couldn't find a converter for it. Sorry about that.

Enjoy the photos! :)

post-117629-0-55268400-1421386885_thumb.jpg

Ryan,

Thank you for posting the Inoxcrom photos, that is a very nice sleek looking pen. I have seen the wallstreet inoxcroms, and I understand what you mean about not getting the mini for there being a lack of converter. I get around it by reinjecting my empty inoxcrom cartridges with ink from my bottles.

Basterma,

The poeme sounds a bit like the the one that Ryan has shown. Post the photos when you can, I understand about the firewall issues. So Inoxcrom is readily available in China? I wonder what Inoxcrom's most heavily imported regions are?

RunsWithSharpPens,

I noticed that amazon.co.uk has this really nice series of Inoxcrom's called Vivaldi Four Season Colors, with this, they sell 4 pens, Winter which is aqua blue, Spring which is Green, Summer which is pink and fall which is purple. I do not own any of them, but am posting photos of them for the viewing pleasure and food for thought

post-108733-0-88937700-1421391681_thumb.jpg

post-108733-0-54425500-1421391693_thumb.jpg

post-108733-0-58160100-1421391704_thumb.jpg

post-108733-0-23154800-1421391721_thumb.jpg

Ana_

The Inoxcroms I have were bought when I was a student and when I worked in the Middle East. I have been in China since last July; and have only seen two non-Chinese brands. Maped and Parker. Everything else here is Chinese.

Inoxcrom had a quite a presence in Egypt until the mid 2000's. Their lower end pens were pretty popular with urban school kids. I have also bought them in Syria (2009) and Turkey.

Basterma,

So Egypt and Syria and Turkey were good Inoxcrom retail locations. Come to think of it, it was in 2002-2006 when I was in the UK and saw Inoxcrom's pretty prevalently. I wonder if any of these locations still have them or if they have been relegated to the internet via old stock? I really wish them to flourish because they are fantastic pens.

Just bought my third Inoxcrom, and again this brand has not failed me. I have no clue what this one is called. Pics will be coming soon.

Ryan, have you noticed a difference in the width of nibs? I was compring my newest inoxcrom, purchased within weeks, to the first one I ever bought 2002 and the nib on the newer one is noticibly slimmer?

Haha. Yes. I noticed exactly the same thing. Both my pens are mediums, but my older one writes like a cross between a medium and a broad (on a European nib) and my newer one almost writes like a fine/medium? (Again, a European fine, not a Japanese.) I was wondering if that was consistent through the entire range.

I bought this in the UK stationers WH Smith in about 2009, was very reduced in price, possibly because of the design on it.

It was in a blister pack with a ballpoint pen, and one international short (white) cartridge was included.

It writes a 'fine' line, the nib is very rigid, but fairly smooth. Under the clip it has 'INOXCHROM SPAIN' moulded in.

Obviously aimed at the school market, but it is comfortable to write with, has never failed to work any time that I have tried it.

The nib and feed appear to be the same type as in Ana_'s photo in post #5.