Custom Bulb Filler In Lignum Vitae

Brooks803

Here's the latest off the lathe. I've been wanting to make myself a bulb filler for some time. Plus I like a challenge so I made it out of wood. Lignum Vitae to be exact. I love how it has a touch of sapwood on the body. The ink chamber is made from Amber alumilite I cast myself. Here are some of the finer details.

Dimensions:

Capped: 6" ~ 153mm

Cap: 2 5/8" ~ 65mm

Body: 3 3/4" ~ 95mm

Body + Nib: 5 1/2" ~ 138mm

Posted: 6 3/4" ~ 171mm

Nib & Ink:

#6 Two Tone JoWo in 1.5 stub

Bulb Filler #14 Sac

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n496/Brooks803/DSC05281806x900_zps2673ca53.jpg

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n496/Brooks803/DSC05286781x900_zps99991edb.jpg

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n496/Brooks803/DSC05292900x646_zps1089856e.jpg

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n496/Brooks803/DSC05294900x779_zps0bfecbd8.jpg

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n496/Brooks803/DSC05295900x876_zpsff23d992.jpg

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n496/Brooks803/DSC05298900x634_zps7dad4087.jpg

Thanks for looking!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brooks803

• Scriptorium Pens

• amk

• rpsyed

Very cool! But will the wood stain when you fill it? Especially as you can't fill the converter on it's own and then reattach it. I thought that was why most pen makers make ebonite or acrylic sections on their wood pens.

Does this model have a name yet? Looked at the site but did not see it there yet. Hope it makes it into 'regular' production.

Particularly like the wooden section, and as for staining I wouldn't care.

Very cool! But will the wood stain when you fill it? Especially as you can't fill the converter on it's own and then reattach it. I thought that was why most pen makers make ebonite or acrylic sections on their wood pens.

Thanks! I've got it inked right now with J Herbin Perle Noire and the ink that got on the section wiped off without staining. I'm sure on certain woods it would be a problem though. Lignum Vitae was, and still is, used a bearing on ship propellers. So it should hold up to repeated ink fills.

Does this model have a name yet? Looked at the site but did not see it there yet. Hope it makes it into 'regular' production.

Particularly like the wooden section, and as for staining I wouldn't care.

Thanks for checking out the site! No...no name just yet. I'm sure it'll make it to the production lineup eventually though. I'm a big fan of the wooden section also. Any ink staining to me would just be like a patina and become part of the aesthetic.

Thanks! I've got it inked right now with J Herbin Perle Noire and the ink that got on the section wiped off without staining. I'm sure on certain woods it would be a problem though. Lignum Vitae was, and still is, used a bearing on ship propellers. So it should hold up to repeated ink fills.

Oh, I see. Thank you for the explanation! It's a beautiful pen.

That is a beautiful pen I especially like the wooden grip.

I have just got a lathe and I have always been fascinated by making pens. I am still very new to this.

Super nice! Is the nib glued in, or is there a threaded insert for the section?

Thanks Renee! Nope, the nib isn't glued in. The section does have an ebonite insert and that's threaded. The rest is all wood without inserts though.

Oooo, I like the idea of a wooden section gaining an inky patina over a long period of use. This pen seems both sleek and rustic. I love it!

Wow - this is a seriously beautiful pen, I would buy it ahead of most commercial pens.

Thank you! That's quite the comment!

Oooo, I like the idea of a wooden section gaining an inky patina over a long period of use. This pen seems both sleek and rustic. I love it!

Thanks! I'm looking forward to seeing how this one will end up after several fills. It holds a good amount of ink so it'll take some time though!

Thank you! That's quite the comment!

Thanks! I'm looking forward to seeing how this one will end up after several fills. It holds a good amount of ink so it'll take some time though!

You know you'll have to post pics of it as it changes appearance. :D

Oh nice. The ink window is exactly the right colour for the wood. And I like the slightly desk-pen taper to the pen.

I wish I had bought some lignum vitae stock I saw a while back. It had a slightly greenish tinge to it, rather than this dusky beige, but I couldn't right then think of anything I needed to do with it.

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

You know you'll have to post pics of it as it changes appearance. :D

Most definitely! I just used up the last bit of ink from it's first fill and cleaned it out. Now I'm deciding what I want to fill it back up with. I've got more inks on order since most of what I have here is either black or blue.

Oh nice. The ink window is exactly the right colour for the wood. And I like the slightly desk-pen taper to the pen.

I wish I had bought some lignum vitae stock I saw a while back. It had a slightly greenish tinge to it, rather than this dusky beige, but I couldn't right then think of anything I needed to do with it.

Thanks!

I try to buy as much of this wood as I can whenever I see it. You do have to realize that when lignum is turned it becomes a dull brown color and will slowly turn back to green as it's exposed to UV light. So this pen will eventually go back to that nice green color. You can see parts that are getting there in the closeup of the front section.