Noodly Goodness

Cryptos

So, I have found an eBay seller through whom I can get Noodler's inks for $20 incl. shipping. I still have to check the Australian market, though I doubt they'll be any cheaper. It would have been nice to get the FPN inks when they comes through but I expect shipping costs for those to be substantially higher (tell me if it isn't).

Anyway, I was thinking about trying a Noodler's ink. There are lots and lots of them!

What's you're favourite and why do you think I should try it?

FYI. At the moment I am using Diamines - Eclipse, Chocolate Brown, and Sargasso Sea; Private Reserve Electric Blue; R&K Salix.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morphling27

• Cryptos

• amberleadavis

• keo

Oh man, well, for shading you can't beat Apache Sunset. I know other colors come close, but they don't really. Other shading inks are the Australian roses, but the new one looks ugly (I own the old, which is my favorite ink and not just for shading, it writes SO well).

Heart of Darkness is a GREAT black ink and I think it combines the best of all the blacks they sell (Drying, smearing, darkness, etc).

Most of the eternal line is good - Hunter, Fox, Luxury Blue - just avoid periwinkle - it's bad.

I could probably go on and on, Noodler's inks are all great. I'd also add the infamous BSB too

A fellow enthusiast just wrote to me - in various inks, one of which is Noodler's Black Swan; I'd be more inclined to call it Red Swan, but it's a super colour.

Rgds

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

To the OP's question and someone else will have to help:

Does the new BSIAR write as well as the old one? As I've said, I loved the color and that made me purchase it, but then I thought... I don't have many uses for this. But, I inked it up anyway and fell in love with the glide and smoothness and the no feathering and the everything else good.

Navajo Turquoise, Apache Sunset and Sequoia Green are the ones I buy. I've tried Forest Green, E L Laurence, Habennero, Army Green and Antietam. All experiences have been good and nicely saturated colours, very easy to clean, but the Turquoise and the Sunset stand out the most - beautiful shading and subtlety to the inks; really lovely, lovely colours. Tempted by Cactus Fruit Eel, but in two minds still.

I used Bad Belted Kingfisher daily. I like it.

I also have Apache Sunset and agree with others on the nice shading factor. I really like Borealis Black too.

"I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

-Fred Allen 1894-1956

What's you're favourite and why do you think I should try it?

For color alone, my favorites are Turquoise (not Navaho Turquoise) and Midway. If, like me, you are a fan of that vast, odd, and strangely compelling range of color between blue and green these are inks you will use with joy. Turquoise is a saturated green-blue, and Midway is a rich medium blue with green in its depths.

Fountain Pens: Still cheaper than playing Warhammer 40K

54th Massachusetts is nice too.

I always have a pen with this in it. Nice blue-black, maybe more blue-charcoal, with no trace of green or teal.

Love the Noodler's. I like some of the darker ones. I'm a fan of Liberty's Elysium for a nice dark blue, Antietam's bloody red, & Nightshade is a lovely purpley brown. Borealis Black is great if you want a blackety black, although it's not one of the bulletproofs. I'm not overly fond of Apache sunset though. I've run it through a couple of pens, but it didn't do it for me. I may just not have been in the right mood.

Well, now, I have a LOT of Noodler's inks. Some of my favorites are going to be harder for you to get in your neck of the woods though: Hudson Bay Blue, Manhattan Blue, and Old Manhattan black are exclusive to Fountain Pen Hospital in NYC; while Kung Te Cheng, Purple Heart and Liberty's Elysium are (IIRC) all exclusive Goulet Pens (and El Lawrence might be as well).

Easier to get ones (at least here in the US) that I like include Shah's Rose, the original formula BSiAR, Navajo Turquiose, Shah's Rose, North African Violet, 54th Massachusetts, and Walnut.

Ruth Morrisson aka inistaiendruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Are you going to buy regular size bottles, or the 4.5 oz bottles, of which many come with a free pen?

Currently I'm way in love with the Noodler'sXPlatinum converted preppy. Such a cool, but not flashy, inexpensive pen with a great juicy nib. My Everyday pocket pen, and a pen of which I give away copies, basically whenever I can find some more.

I have two more in the mail, both already claimed.

On the other hand, some big bottles come with an Indian-made, different eyedropper. (And I have one of those in the mail as well.)

Bottom line: Noodler's eyedroppers, so fun.

Noodler's Navy, slightly diluted. It's a rich, shading, blue-green to blue-black ink then. I use La Couleur Royale some, especially when I want an ink that's super easy to clean out, but the color is not a favorite--it's a rather uninteresting purple-blue color on the whole, with no water resistance.

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

Noodler's 54th Massachusetts, Noodler's Black, and Noodler's Liberty's Elysium could supply my wants for the rest of my life (don't tell the other thirty some inks I have!). All versatile colors, excellent performance, and bulletproof (though LE is technically "partially" bulletproof).

I'm a big fan of Ottoman Azure, Navy, Blue Eel, Navajo Turquoise, FPN Tulipe Noire, Habanero, Violet, Black Swan in English Roses, and Kung te-Cheng, and Cayenne.

Oh, and my latest new love, Burma Road Brown.

Edited by debraji

Some more suggestions, with reasons...

Lexington Grey - because grey is my favorite color. What? It's not yours? OK, well it has also been well behaved for me and it's bulletproof (if you care about such things). Lives in my EDC Kaweco Classic Sport F.

Red Black - to me, it's more reddish brown. Distinct from the Chocolate Brown you are currently using. Well behaved with my TWSBI 540 F.

Zhivago - A green so dark it can pass as black. I dilute this 2:1 ink:water to bring the green out more. Looks great in my journal with cream-colored pages on those very rare occasions that I actually write in my journal. (Pilot 78G F)

I won't say that I also really like Manhattan Blue since, as Ruth mentioned, it's a Fountain Pen Hospital exclusive and your eBay seller likely won't have it.

Don't know if there is an affordable source for you, but samples are really the way to go.