Montblanc Writers Edition : Ernest Hemingway

jamesgibby

Wonderful pen and an excellent limited edition. Love the color and texture, maybe the best example I have seen lately of what really makes a fountain pen worth the funds.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jamesgibby

• penmanila

• hypnostene

• redisburning

Come on, why would you ask this about a pen? :rolleyes:

well actually how a pen writes is just about the least useful part of most internet pen reviews.

not that it's applicable to this review, but most reviewers seem to think the only numbers that exist are between 9 and 10 and every new pen they get is a 9 or a 10, so 3 years later we have a Lamy Safari, Pilot Custom 74, Montblanc 146 and a Sailor urushi King of Pen and all are 9.5/10 writers.

things like length never change though.

well actually how a pen writes is just about the least useful part of most internet pen reviews.

not that it's applicable to this review, but most reviewers seem to think the only numbers that exist are between 9 and 10 and every new pen they get is a 9 or a 10, so 3 years later we have a Lamy Safari, Pilot Custom 74, Montblanc 146 and a Sailor urushi King of Pen and all are 9.5/10 writers.

things like length never change though.

Very good point (and a good jab at the same time). I guess that in general assessments of unquantifiable properties of expensive things will most likely take the form of either confirmatory bias or buyer's remorse ; )

I agree with you which is why I didn't give this pen a rating. I use reviews to get a better understanding of any pen I may wish to buy so a subjective rating isn't very useful in that regard

PoA: Copernicus; JP Morgan  WE: Hemingway; Proust; Dickens; Mann; Twain; Swift  149's: 1986 2 tone; 75th 1924 LE; 90th Anniversary; Platinum; Kingsman Edition; Calligraphy 

146 Solitaire: Hematite; Gold & Black; Silver Fibre Guilloche.

Misc: 234 1/2L; Boheme Medium size non-retractable BB nib; Starwalker FP & RB; Montblanc Newson (Matt)

Want to Buy MB 129, 139 , 138 136  & 149 Silver Rings or Special Nibs

I agree with you which is why I didn't give this pen a rating. I use reviews to get a better understanding of any pen I may wish to buy so a subjective rating isn't very useful in that regard

it was a very good review, I enjoyed it immensely.

Thank you for this review, is not often that we see one of these reviewed.

What a pity (or, thinking of my bank account: luckily) the Hemingway doesn't feel so comfortable for me due to the rather big diameter. If it was just a bit slimmer...

Greetings,

Michael

Come on, why would you ask this about a pen? :rolleyes:

Just because it says Montblanc and Hemingway doesn't necessarily mean it writes well...

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.

Mark Twain

Just because it says Montblanc and Hemingway doesn't necessarily mean it writes well...

I don't think my tongue-in-cheek question is the post you should be targeting with that comment ; )

I don't think my tongue-in-cheek question is the post you should be targeting with that comment ; )

Well I can say that it writes like a standard F nib from MB just like that found on 149's. Although I bought a new 90th anniversary with a F nib and it doesn't erite as well as the Heningway for some reason.

PoA: Copernicus; JP Morgan  WE: Hemingway; Proust; Dickens; Mann; Twain; Swift  149's: 1986 2 tone; 75th 1924 LE; 90th Anniversary; Platinum; Kingsman Edition; Calligraphy 

Misc: 234 1/2L; Boheme Medium size non-retractable BB nib; Starwalker FP & RB; Montblanc Newson (Matt)

Wonderful review. So you are the one who "snatched" it from me last Christmas! Enjoy, I will get one to match yours!

Edited by sailorboy

Wonderful review. So you are the one who "snatched" it from me last Christmas! Enjoy, I will get one to match yours!

No that wasn't me I only bought it 2 weeks ago from Max

I would rank them 1. Hemingway, what a gorgeous mighty in presence pen 2. AC oh baby oh baby JM put a flex on mine.....3 Marcel Proust.....

These 3 are incredible pens, especially when you see the newer ones with a few exceptions, but the EH is all of it and then some.....

Best,

Mike

I would rank them 1. Hemingway, what a gorgeous mighty in presence pen 2. AC oh baby oh baby JM put a flex on mine.....3 Marcel Proust.....

These 3 are incredible pens, especially when you see the newer ones with a few exceptions, but the EH is all of it and then some.....

Best,

Mike

the AC is my next target!

• 1 month later...

beautiful pen and great review. been jonesing for a hemingway for a long time, but am happy to be using two agathas in the meanwhile... and also in the meanwhile, just got this astoria goliath (145mm capped, with a no. 8 18K B-nib) from max that should assuage my hemingway and 139 cravings:

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll296/penmanila/FullSizeRender_zpsujrrrjcv.jpg

Edited by penmanila

Check out my blog and my pens

That is also on my hit list but i got side tracked and in the past week i Bought the Hemingway and now the Proust and 149 75th Ltd Ed.

I had a Proust and a Medici. I had to part with both, but loved them both equally and still miss them both tremendously.

Edited by fountainpenlady

Ea Alis Volat Propiis, per/Repletus Fontis Calamus!
She Flies by Her Own Wings, with filled Fountain Pen

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

• 2 weeks later...